Found 12th Aug 2009
Looking for a birthday pressie for my Dad. He has a laptop and likes war games but im finding it a bit difficult to find games that will run on it as its maximum graphic card is 251mb. Alot of the games seem to be 256mb. Any ideas and recommendations will be gladly accepted and rep given. Thanks.

20 Comments

Banned

it will be 256mb but just showing as 251mb

same as a 160GB hard drive only shwows 145GB when you view its properties

Original Poster

I bought Grand Theft Auto 4 last week, and secretly tried it on his laptop but when loading the game it said not compatable? That game is a 256mb.

csiman;5998505

it will be 256mb but just showing as 251mb same as a 160GB hard drive … it will be 256mb but just showing as 251mb same as a 160GB hard drive only shwows 145GB when you view its properties

Not really.

It will be 256 but that 5mb has been reserved for something else.

Original Poster

deathtrap3000;5998590

Not really.It will be 256 but that 5mb has been reserved for something … Not really.It will be 256 but that 5mb has been reserved for something else.

Could you recommend any good games that would run ok on it ok?

busymom;5998631

Not many new games will run on a laptop unless it has a dedicated graphics card.

Do you know what graphics card it has?

Call of Duty World at War on offer right now from steam

Banned

deathtrap3000;5998638

Not many new games will run on a laptop unless it has a dedicated … Not many new games will run on a laptop unless it has a dedicated graphics card. Do you know what graphics card it has?

it must have a dedicated graphics card as if it was shared memory then it would show up as 256mb (going on your definition above).

Original Poster

Abvance;5998640

Call of Duty World at War on offer right now from steam

Yes, Ive just seen that one but again its 256mb so wont run on his laptop. Thanks anyway.

Banned

busymom;5998631

what do you mean by war games?

shooters or strategy etc?

age of empires 2 or 3 are classics and should run ok

uk.pc.gamespy.com/pc/…tml

gta4 is very demanding hence not working

how old is the laptop?

You need to find what the graphics card actually is, the memory is irrelevent really as it's the graphics card itself which matters. What is the make and model of the PC?

John

Download this to give us a better idea of your GPU stats.

]http//ww…uz/

Company of Heroes.

If he likes war games and likes strategy then this is probably one of the best you can get.

Original Poster

Johnmcl7;5998708

You need to find what the graphics card actually is, the memory is … You need to find what the graphics card actually is, the memory is irrelevent really as it's the graphics card itself which matters. What is the make and model of the PC?John

He bought the one that was advertised on here a couple of months ago - Sony Vaio VGN-NR21J. Ive just tried to look for what type the graghics card is and I cant seem to find it.

Original Poster

csiman;5998683

what do you mean by war games?shooters or strategy etc?age of empires 2 … what do you mean by war games?shooters or strategy etc?age of empires 2 or 3 are classics and should run okhttp://uk.pc.gamespy.com/pc/age-of-empires-iii/659812p1.htmlgta4 is very demanding hence not workinghow old is the laptop?

The laptop is a Sony Vaio VGN-NR21J and is only 2 months old.

busymom;5998730

He bought the one that was advertised on here a couple of months ago - … He bought the one that was advertised on here a couple of months ago - Sony Vaio VGN-NR21J. Ive just tried to look for what type the graghics card is and I cant seem to find it.

It's a onboard graphics card which means it's not very powerful, it's not a particularly powerful processor either so you're best looking at older games. What games has your Dad previously enjoyed playing to help us get a better idea of what to recommend.

John

Original Poster

Jetpac;5998724

Company of Heroes.If he likes war games and likes strategy then this is … Company of Heroes.If he likes war games and likes strategy then this is probably one of the best you can get.

Thanks, will have a look at that one. Rep left.

Original Poster

Johnmcl7;5998798

It's a onboard graphics card which means it's not very powerful, it's not … It's a onboard graphics card which means it's not very powerful, it's not a particularly powerful processor either so you're best looking at older games. What games has your Dad previously enjoyed playing to help us get a better idea of what to recommend.John

He is a new user so he has only tried a couple of games. He is playing a fighter pilot game at the moment - sorry but not sure of the name of it, but mentioned about getting a war game. Something like Call of Duty would be good but I know that wont run on it. Or maybe a car chase game like GTA? Thankyou for helping me!

Banned

busymom;5998871

He is a new user so he has only tried a couple of games. He is playing a … He is a new user so he has only tried a couple of games. He is playing a fighter pilot game at the moment - sorry but not sure of the name of it, but mentioned about getting a war game. Something like Call of Duty would be good but I know that wont run on it. Or maybe a car chase game like GTA? Thankyou for helping me!

call of duty 2 is excellent and will run on it

If he likes football, then football manager 2009 is always a good bet

Original Poster

csiman;5998998

call of duty 2 is excellent and will run on it

Ok, thanks. Will have a look at that one. Rep left.
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Add one, leave one game54315381
    2. Mercedes-Benz recalls 400,000 cars in UK over airbag fault99
    3. The HUKD Wuntu code sharing thread! (Three Mobile)89181
    4. Misco about to go into administration22

See more discussions