Best phone close to £100?

Found 10th Oct 2017
I'm looking for the best smartphone for around £100 (or less would be better) for my mother.

The main use will be so she can receive pictures of my newborn via whatsapp as she's not a social media person.

I'm hoping to prioritize speed and battery life over camera, etc. She wouldn't be doing anything to demanding.

Currently looking at the Wileyfox Spark X but was wondering if anyone knew of any phones better in that price range or any suitable for less?

Ideally from the UK and not a Chinese brand.
Thank you.

1. Ask
Groups
  1. Ask
4 Comments

I've got my mum a Xiaomi redmi 4a. I know you'd rather not but do consider xiaomi. Very good specs for the money. They also have lite mode. Which acts as a simple laubcher which may be of benefit.

Anyway.....UK wise I think when I was looking you'll likely get a 1gb ram phone with sub 100 price range. Which won't be great.

So things like the spark x, a few Sony's Motorola c plus etc come the in just over 100.

They'd all do ok jobs for what you want and need. Won't be much between them I'd imagine.

Using GSM arena for spec comparison always helps me decide.

What about getting her a kindle fire tablet and putting Dropbox or something on it, she can click one button and have a whole album of pictures from whoever adds them.

It's nicer looking at pics on a bigger screen, better battery, more options, always backed up pictures etc etc.
Edited by: "ibblackberry1" 13th Oct 2017

Original Poster

doncoop4 h, 55 m ago

I've got my mum a Xiaomi redmi 4a. I know you'd rather not but do consider …I've got my mum a Xiaomi redmi 4a. I know you'd rather not but do consider xiaomi. Very good specs for the money. They also have lite mode. Which acts as a simple laubcher which may be of benefit.Anyway.....UK wise I think when I was looking you'll likely get a 1gb ram phone with sub 100 price range. Which won't be great.So things like the spark x, a few Sony's Motorola c plus etc come the in just over 100.They'd all do ok jobs for what you want and need. Won't be much between them I'd imagine.Using GSM arena for spec comparison always helps me decide.

I'm not against Chinese brand phone as a rule, especially if reviewed with good feedback. I just had a bad experience a few years back with what was on paper a great spec phone but had so many problems. Xiaomi does seem to have a name in it's own right nowadays. 8gb internal ROM is a no go too (Carphone Warehouse talked my girlfriend into a LG 4c for a £40+ monthly contract before I met her and it was basically unusable with only 8gb internal storage). The Spark X with 2gb RAM and £16gb memory for £109.99 seems great value for money (was £102.97 at the time of posting).

Original Poster

ibblackberry13 h, 44 m ago

What about getting her a kindle fire tablet and putting Dropbox or …What about getting her a kindle fire tablet and putting Dropbox or something on it, she can click one button and have a whole album of pictures from whoever adds them.It's nicer looking at pics on a bigger screen, better battery, more options, always backed up pictures etc etc.

She wants to get into the smartphone world for portability so 4G is a must.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions