Best phone deal around £100 mark

Found 19th Mar
I'm looking for a phone for my stepmum for her birthday. Looking for something probably upto about £120/£130 max.

Does anyone have any advice on what's good at the moment?

• It has to be android.
  • She is currently using a moto g3 so a similar OS would be good
  • She is not tech savvy so full HD, NFC etc is not necessary
  • The phone is primarily used just for calls, texting, whatsapp.
  • A decent enough camera would be nice too
  • A decent battery life too

These are the main considerations really. Just after a simple but usable phone.

TIA
Community Updates
Ask
19 Comments
At the top end of the budget, the Huawei P8 Lite 2017 should be your only consideration. Such a great value phone with a huge range of features for the price - and the screen is 1080p!

It's £129.99 at Carphone Warehouse, SIM free, fully unlocked and will carry no network branding. Two year warranty, too, as is typical with Huawei phones.

Some people will undoubtedly recommend dodgy name DooGee phones or similar from Amazon. The warranty with these is questionable, and build quality will be nothing like a Huawei.

I've switched many of my family over to Huawei devices. My mother and best mate (and his mother too) have the P8 Lite 2017 and love it. My sister has a P10 Lite. I have a Huawei Mate 10 Pro and it's the best phone I've owned - and I've had many phones in my time, many of which have been iOS devices.
Edited by: "preecey" 19th Mar
Original Poster
preecey3 m ago

At the top end of the budget, the Huawei P8 Lite 2017 should be your only …At the top end of the budget, the Huawei P8 Lite 2017 should be your only consideration. Such a great value phone with a huge range of features for the price - and the screen is 1080p!It's £129.99 at Carphone Warehouse, SIM free, fully unlocked and will carry no network branding. Two year warranty, too, as is typical with Huawei phones.Some people will undoubtedly recommend dodgy name DooGee phones or similar from Amazon. The warranty with these is questionable, and build quality will be nothing like a Huawei.I've switched many of my family over to Huawei devices. My mother and best mate (and his mother too) have the P8 Lite 2017 and love it. My sister has a P10 Lite. I have a Huawei Mate 10 Pro and it's the best phone I've owned - and I've had many phones in my time, many of which have been iOS devices.

Thanks very much for this. Appreciate the effort. Yeah I'm looking for a known brand really so will take a look at the Huawei. Never had one but heard some good things.
It's also at Argos for the same price too. Also unlocked and SIM free. It's a very highly reviewed phone for the price - but you may notice some reviews on the Carphone website slating the inability to install apps to microSD cards, but this is not a fault of the phone. It's a limitation of the vast majority of Android phones.
Splice15 m ago

m.aliexpress.com/item/32839664525.html?trace=wwwdetail2mobilesitedetail&productId=32839664525&productSubject=Global-Version-Xiaomi-Redmi-5A-5-A-Mobile-Phone-Snapdragon-425-Quad-Core-2GB-16GB-5&aff_platform=aaf&cpt=1521466731196&sk=FnuqqAbe&aff_trace_key=c1e703458fab429899143861083d34e4-1521466731196-06176-FnuqqAbe&terminal_id=d2f22ca4b85c41bf9e482c7da390bbba£65

Couple of issues with that recommendation.

- No warranty
- Will take about 2 weeks to arrive
- Poor chipset
- Less RAM than the P8 Lite 2017
- Build quality won't be as good as the Huawei
Original Poster
Splice21 m ago

m.aliexpress.com/item/32839664525.html?trace=wwwdetail2mobilesitedetail&productId=32839664525&productSubject=Global-Version-Xiaomi-Redmi-5A-5-A-Mobile-Phone-Snapdragon-425-Quad-Core-2GB-16GB-5&aff_platform=aaf&cpt=1521466731196&sk=FnuqqAbe&aff_trace_key=c1e703458fab429899143861083d34e4-1521466731196-06176-FnuqqAbe&terminal_id=d2f22ca4b85c41bf9e482c7da390bbba£65

Yeah thanks for the suggestion but following on preecey's response, I am looking for something I can buy in a shop with a warranty and that is a notable brand name. With it being a present, don't think I could handle the shame if it broke and there was nowhere to take it for repair. Thanks though. Think I will go with the P8 lite
john_mac831 h, 31 m ago

Yeah thanks for the suggestion but following on preecey's response, I am …Yeah thanks for the suggestion but following on preecey's response, I am looking for something I can buy in a shop with a warranty and that is a notable brand name. With it being a present, don't think I could handle the shame if it broke and there was nowhere to take it for repair. Thanks though. Think I will go with the P8 lite

Yeah i understand p8 a good buy
preecey3 h, 19 m ago

At the top end of the budget, the Huawei P8 Lite 2017 should be your only …At the top end of the budget, the Huawei P8 Lite 2017 should be your only consideration. Such a great value phone with a huge range of features for the price - and the screen is 1080p!It's £129.99 at Carphone Warehouse, SIM free, fully unlocked and will carry no network branding. Two year warranty, too, as is typical with Huawei phones.Some people will undoubtedly recommend dodgy name DooGee phones or similar from Amazon. The warranty with these is questionable, and build quality will be nothing like a Huawei.I've switched many of my family over to Huawei devices. My mother and best mate (and his mother too) have the P8 Lite 2017 and love it. My sister has a P10 Lite. I have a Huawei Mate 10 Pro and it's the best phone I've owned - and I've had many phones in my time, many of which have been iOS devices.

How can a sim free phone be fully unlocked? Sim free wasn't tied to a network unlike a unlocked phone.
preecey1 h, 49 m ago

Couple of issues with that recommendation. - No warranty- Will take about …Couple of issues with that recommendation. - No warranty- Will take about 2 weeks to arrive- Poor chipset- Less RAM than the P8 Lite 2017- Build quality won't be as good as the Huawei

Still worth 65 quid yeah better to buy 100 quid phone or over but you still have 45 quid in your pocket I had a mate who has one 2 years no problems
john_mac8319th Mar

Yeah thanks for the suggestion but following on preecey's response, I am …Yeah thanks for the suggestion but following on preecey's response, I am looking for something I can buy in a shop with a warranty and that is a notable brand name. With it being a present, don't think I could handle the shame if it broke and there was nowhere to take it for repair. Thanks though. Think I will go with the P8 lite

I believe the P8 Lite 2017 Model is (give or take), around the £150 odd mark? (if I'm not mistaken?).
Splice19th Mar

Yeah i understand p8 a good buy

And the P8 (NON Lite), costd considerably than that again sadly. :-(

That one knocks out at around the £250 mark? (or even more?).

At that price perhaps a Honor 6 or 7 may be preferable instead?.
AW007923 m ago

How can a sim free phone be fully unlocked? Sim free wasn't tied to a …How can a sim free phone be fully unlocked? Sim free wasn't tied to a network unlike a unlocked phone.

All of that is relative, as it's pure Marketing speel to be honest?.

A SIM-Free Phone, and an Unlocked Phone are Technically/essentially, one of the same thing basically?.

It's all down to the fancy (and dare I also day) pointless wording surrounding each 'terminology' ...

All Chinese Site's that sell Phone's Abroad to place's like UK, USA, etc etc?, all sell you their Phone's as 'Unlocked', and not instead as 'SIM-Free'?.

But for sure/either way, we all assume such to mean 'SIM-Free' same way?.

It's mainly Western Countries that use various terminologies to essentially mean one of the same thing I believe?.

As place's like America use such various terminologies as well ...
Splice20 m ago

Still worth 65 quid yeah better to buy 100 quid phone or over but you …Still worth 65 quid yeah better to buy 100 quid phone or over but you still have 45 quid in your pocket I had a mate who has one 2 years no problems

I agree with you, I bought a Doogee X5 Pro some Year's back via such Chinese sources ...

Guess what, it's still going strong, lol.

And last Year via a different Chinese source again, I bought an Xiaomi Redmi Note 4 ...

And guess what, that's still working strong also, hehehe.

But at the end of the Day, everyone is different?.

So pretty much, horses for courses basically ... :-)
amour3k14 m ago

I agree with you, I bought a Doogee X5 Pro some Year's back via such …I agree with you, I bought a Doogee X5 Pro some Year's back via such Chinese sources ...Guess what, it's still going strong, lol.And last Year via a different Chinese source again, I bought an Xiaomi Redmi Note 4 ...And guess what, that's still working strong also, hehehe.But at the end of the Day, everyone is different?.So pretty much, horses for courses basically ... :-)

Exactly most the time they perform perfectly fine for a phone
Original Poster
amour3k28 m ago

I believe the P8 Lite 2017 Model is (give or take), around the £150 odd …I believe the P8 Lite 2017 Model is (give or take), around the £150 odd mark? (if I'm not mistaken?).And the P8 (NON Lite), costd considerably than that again sadly. :-(That one knocks out at around the £250 mark? (or even more?).At that price perhaps a Honor 6 or 7 may be preferable instead?.

It's £129 in quite a few places....CPW, John Lewis, Argos, Amazon... so happy with that price
Original Poster
Splice4 m ago

Exactly most the time they perform perfectly fine for a phone

Yeah I agree with both of you on this. Most of the time they are absolutely fine. It's just, if this breaks on her, with it being a present, I would rather have the peace of mind knowing I can take it to a shop to get repaired/replaced
john_mac831 m ago

Yeah I agree with both of you on this. Most of the time they are …Yeah I agree with both of you on this. Most of the time they are absolutely fine. It's just, if this breaks on her, with it being a present, I would rather have the peace of mind knowing I can take it to a shop to get repaired/replaced

Yeah that's a good deal can't go wrong mate
I'm using huawei p8 lite.
Cracking little phone, and zippy response.

I thought the fingerprint recognition sounded a bit gimmicky but it makes your mobile and apps feel much more secure.

Makes Google pay payments etc. But only used that to get a free £10.
If you go through quidco cpw you might still get £10 for ordering through quidco. You could last week.
Just took delivery of Xiaomi Redmi 5 plus global version.
Its the bees knees nothing can beat it for value, lovely phone and superfast £115 from aliexpress
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions