best phone deal for a young child. Pay as you go or SIM only??

Found 26th Nov 2017
I always aid my son wouldn't get a phone until he went to secondary school but he now walks himself to youth club twice a week and it makes me very nervous
We have a spare phone he can have but I'm not sure whether to get him a SIM only Vodafone contract (the only one that works where we live) or go for a pay as you go. He doesn't have many friends with phones so it will basically only be used to ring me or text me.

Any advice will be greatly received.

Sarah
Community Updates
Ask
8 Comments
Get him an iPhone X contract, on a serious note a Vodafone sim only is better as you get more from a sim only than pay as you go you tend to notice the credit goes very quickly
What type of phone is the spare one he is to use?

I ask as if its a smart phone he will no doubt start using data, then look to a plan which has a decent data allowance.

If its a basic phone then a plan with minutes/texts will be more important.

I would suggest a pay as you go sim only, monitor the usage after 6 months or so, and search for a better contract deal, which may include a free new handset.
Edited by: "andynicol" 26th Nov 2017
He can either have an iPhone or a Samsung but I don't want him to have any data (he can access the wifi at home.) I'll definitely look into the SIM only contracts. Thank you!
As long as they have decent signal near you get him a Three 123 pay as you go.
If he is only using it to contact you and in emergency then £5 credit will last ages.
The only signal we get is Vodafone.
hotphoenix3015 h, 15 m ago

He can either have an iPhone or a Samsung but I don't want him to have any …He can either have an iPhone or a Samsung but I don't want him to have any data (he can access the wifi at home.) I'll definitely look into the SIM only contracts. Thank you!

Your choice, but he could run up a massive bill. Get the Vodafone PAYG offer of £1 per day or until credit runs, out no massive bills.
Edited by: "OBH6UK" 27th Nov 2017
i would get a PAYG until you can see that he is using the phone sensibly, then you could get a monthly contract SIM. some contracts allow a monthly cap but i can't remember if vodafone allows a cap.
Think only Tesco mobile, offer that, but they are on O2.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants