Best phone for minicab drivers?

Posted 4th Sep
My dad uses a few different cab apps like Uber, bolt, and more though his phone starts to slow down and of course battery dies quickly with location, maps and a bunch of apps open in the background and never clears ram or closes unnecessary apps despite how many times i tell him. What's the best phone that would cost around £150 used purely as work phone?
Community Updates
Ask
17 Comments
I had an Lenovo P2 for the last 4 years, never got discharged over a shift, with screen always on and navigation. 4GB of ram so never out of memory. I couldn't recomend a phone better.
georgesvalch04/09/2020 11:48

I had an Lenovo P2 for the last 4 years, never got discharged over a …I had an Lenovo P2 for the last 4 years, never got discharged over a shift, with screen always on and navigation. 4GB of ram so never out of memory. I couldn't recomend a phone better.

I bought him an s7 last year but that's too slow for him now despite running a better processor that the p2 - i doubt he'd prefer battery over smoothness since he uses a car charger anyway. The p2 also used the same screen as the s7 and he tends to always get heavy screen burn so I think I have no choice but to buy an LCD screen. The easy choice would i suppose be a small upgrade to the s8 or s9, but the screen burn
mattkkinng04/09/2020 11:53

I bought him an s7 last year but that's too slow for him now despite …I bought him an s7 last year but that's too slow for him now despite running a better processor that the p2 - i doubt he'd prefer battery over smoothness since he uses a car charger anyway. The p2 also used the same screen as the s7 and he tends to always get heavy screen burn so I think I have no choice but to buy an LCD screen. The easy choice would i suppose be a small upgrade to the s8 or s9, but the screen burn

At the time of S8 and S9, Samsung neither claimed a good battery. Now they do, from 10 series, but is just the claim, indeed I have never seen a worse battery than on Samsung, the only good thing is the fast charge.
georgesvalch04/09/2020 11:57

At the time of S8 and S9, Samsung neither claimed a good battery. Now they …At the time of S8 and S9, Samsung neither claimed a good battery. Now they do, from 10 series, but is just the claim, indeed I have never seen a worse battery than on Samsung, the only good thing is the fast charge.

"fast charging" is why i hate Samsung now haha had every main Samsung S phone between s3 and s10 but the fast charging is still the same speed since the s6 and was a fraction of the speed of my old xiaomi mi 9t pro. I was a Huawei fan until the ban, now I'm a xiaomi person and personally looking for a mi 10 deal. I wonder if a pixel 2 would be good enough for him
mattkkinng04/09/2020 12:04

"fast charging" is why i hate Samsung now haha had every main Samsung …"fast charging" is why i hate Samsung now haha had every main Samsung S phone between s3 and s10 but the fast charging is still the same speed since the s6 and was a fraction of the speed of my old xiaomi mi 9t pro. I was a Huawei fan until the ban, now I'm a xiaomi person and personally looking for a mi 10 deal. I wonder if a pixel 2 would be good enough for him

The last flagship I had from them was s20+, it was charging from 20% to 100% in a little bit more than an hour, but to 70% in 25 mins, so I see this as a good thing. However, on an intensive use, from fully charged to 20%, you get there in about 2 hours.
Check out the Motorola phones, they can be had for around £150-£200 and they have close to stock android skin lcd screen and durable
Surely any phone, with the addition of a decent in car charger.

Then the phones battery size/life is mostly irrelevant, he can just leave it plugged in.
Don't get Motorola, to buggy.
Get a tablet with just the apps he needs, then tether to his phone. Makes navigation apps easier to view on the move, and tablets tends to have larger batteries.
Mi max 2
georgesvalch04/09/2020 12:24

The last flagship I had from them was s20+, it was charging from 20% to …The last flagship I had from them was s20+, it was charging from 20% to 100% in a little bit more than an hour, but to 70% in 25 mins, so I see this as a good thing. However, on an intensive use, from fully charged to 20%, you get there in about 2 hours.

Even s20+ only has 25w charging speeds - you would expect more from a phone that costed well over £1000 at release, the poco f2 pro for example has 30w speeds, and of course there's the exynos vs snapdragon issue that's finally gaining more attention. No longer a fan of Samsung
mattkkinng05/09/2020 10:40

Even s20+ only has 25w charging speeds - you would expect more from a …Even s20+ only has 25w charging speeds - you would expect more from a phone that costed well over £1000 at release, the poco f2 pro for example has 30w speeds, and of course there's the exynos vs snapdragon issue that's finally gaining more attention. No longer a fan of Samsung

I'll tell you something, you won't have to believe me. I bought a HP X360 laptop with a 65W usb C charger. I use this charger for everything and I got my S20 in the past to fully charge from 20% in less than an hour, while now I get my Oppo Reno 2 with its bigger battery to charge in 60 mins. With original charger it takes 2 hrs.
mattkkinng05/09/2020 10:40

Even s20+ only has 25w charging speeds - you would expect more from a …Even s20+ only has 25w charging speeds - you would expect more from a phone that costed well over £1000 at release, the poco f2 pro for example has 30w speeds, and of course there's the exynos vs snapdragon issue that's finally gaining more attention. No longer a fan of Samsung

I think there is a balance with fast charging and battery longevity. I'm happy with the charging speed of 18-25watt, but the higher wattage of Xiaomi and other phones will degrade batteries much sooner.
I'd rather have a reliable battery for 2-3 years
georgesvalch05/09/2020 12:35

I'll tell you something, you won't have to believe me. I bought a HP X360 …I'll tell you something, you won't have to believe me. I bought a HP X360 laptop with a 65W usb C charger. I use this charger for everything and I got my S20 in the past to fully charge from 20% in less than an hour, while now I get my Oppo Reno 2 with its bigger battery to charge in 60 mins. With original charger it takes 2 hrs.

The first owner of a phone will likely not care about battery health and simply fry the battery in persuit of perceived maximum convenience. They will shrewdly pass on their degraded product to some unsuspecting second user at an early opportunity, unless the first owner has purchased from CPW when the short longevity of battery warranty (6 months) will give them a wakeup call
selfhelp.carphonewarehouse.com/Sel…00}
AndyRoyd05/09/2020 13:39

The first owner of a phone will likely not care about battery health and …The first owner of a phone will likely not care about battery health and simply fry the battery in persuit of perceived maximum convenience. They will shrewdly pass on their degraded product to some unsuspecting second user at an early opportunity, unless the first owner has purchased from CPW when the short longevity of battery warranty (6 months) will give them a wakeup callhttps://selfhelp.carphonewarehouse.com/SelfHelp/request.do?view()=c{79ae2a80-f9f3-11de-da00-000000000000}

Interesting, but can't understand what this have to do with me. I care about my phone battery, I charge it when is not less than twenty percent, overall, when I sell the phone is in a condition that a seller will call, very good.
AndyRoyd05/09/2020 13:39

The first owner of a phone will likely not care about battery health and …The first owner of a phone will likely not care about battery health and simply fry the battery in persuit of perceived maximum convenience. They will shrewdly pass on their degraded product to some unsuspecting second user at an early opportunity, unless the first owner has purchased from CPW when the short longevity of battery warranty (6 months) will give them a wakeup callhttps://selfhelp.carphonewarehouse.com/SelfHelp/request.do?view()=c{79ae2a80-f9f3-11de-da00-000000000000}

Shrewdly and unsuspecting? They're paying half the price of a new one at the expense of battery life and it being new. I buy 2/3 phones a year and mainly always used, off ebay and most times its better than expected tbh. We're looking to buy degraded phones in order to save money
georgesvalch05/09/2020 14:07

Interesting, but can't understand what this have to do with me. I care …Interesting, but can't understand what this have to do with me. I care about my phone battery, I charge it when is not less than twenty percent, overall, when I sell the phone is in a condition that a seller will call, very good.

I always list my phone with a screenshot of my battery health that I get using accubattery so the buyer knows exactly how well the phone has been 'degraded'. I almost always charge when it hits around 20% up to 80% (unless I physically can't i.e work) as that's the best part of the cycle to prevent quicker deterioration
Post a comment
@
    Text