Best phone for teenager around £200?

Posted 14th Nov
Hi, my 14-year-old daughter needs a new phone. Budget is around £200 (SIM free). My shortlist is so far:

• Samsung Galaxy A40
  • Moto G8 Plus
  • Huawei P30 Lite
  • Honor 20 Lite
  • Samsung Galaxy M30s

It's hard to find reviews that make direct comparisons of these phones, so hoping some people here can help me! Also let me know if there are phones I should be looking at, but it needs to be reasonably well-known brands as she won't accept cheap Chinese phones she's not heard of! Any advice gratefully received.
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

Top comments
she won't accept cheap Chinese phones she's not heard of

That rules out all my suggestions 🚶 🚶 bye
21 Comments
Wait till black friday
claire751914/11/2019 19:55

https://store.musicmagpie.co.uk/products/apple-iphone-6s-32gb-space-grey-unlocked-ed762def-3a26-4a86-a1bd-3ffaa9fc861e

I should have said it must be an Android phone! She doesn't want an iPhone. Thanks for the thought though.
A20e?
@MrSwitch is the person to ask
she won't accept cheap Chinese phones she's not heard of

That rules out all my suggestions 🚶 🚶 bye
Keep an eye on here every morning as decent deals are posted everyday. Like alot of things it depends what you want and what you think your child could do without. For instance I bought a Honor Play for £199 as its a 'gaming' phone which means the processor is quick, I don't use it for gaming but having multiple apps open there is no lag however, its a Huawei and the phone is becoming a bit glitchy after around 10 months.

My next phone will be a Samsung. For the simple reason that the Android Operating system and Google apps will be supported for years to come. Which isn't going to happen with Huawei made phones in the future.
Edited by: "batezy_1984" 14th Nov
Out of the 5 in the description I'd go with the m30s

It seems to be the best all rounder, big battery, with decent camera, decent storage, and good support from Samsung.

In all honesty, the ones in the op are Probabky the best alternative to the Xiaomi'S, all of which I'd recommend over those 5.
MrSwitch14/11/2019 20:06

she won't accept cheap Chinese phones she's not heard ofThat rules out all …she won't accept cheap Chinese phones she's not heard ofThat rules out all my suggestions 🚶 🚶 bye

Lol! I've tried to persuade her that I could get more for my money buying a Xiaomi, Redmi etc but she won't have it
Edited by: "KingCampo" 14th Nov
shadowfall14/11/2019 20:02

A20e?

Her younger sister (11) is getting that phone, so she 'needs' a better model as it's not her first phone!
Edited by: "KingCampo" 14th Nov
What about oppo? Ive had a play with one a few days ago and thought it was great for the 160 paid. R70? Gosh.. can't remember.. deal om amazon and cpw
samwants2save14/11/2019 23:01

What about oppo? Ive had a play with one a few days ago and thought it was …What about oppo? Ive had a play with one a few days ago and thought it was great for the 160 paid. R70? Gosh.. can't remember.. deal om amazon and cpw

Thanks, I'll have a look. Same company behind OnePlus? She might be ok with that!
KingCampo14/11/2019 21:05

Lol! I've tried to persuade her that I could get more for my money buying …Lol! I've tried to persuade her that I could get more for my money buying a Xiaomi, Redmi etc but she won't have it

At least you tried. The Chinese brands you mentioned will be better value per performance.

However, zero street cred
Moto and Huawei are Chinese anyway.
Get Samsung and stop her aguring

Xiaomi have few some good on at 200..

I would pick M30s for its battery.
You need ask her what size of phone she want.
Some of the phones are quite large.
Edited by: "Cisco060606" 15th Nov
Could get an s9 for around 200 quid on cash converters
moneybanks1416/11/2019 00:36

Could get an s9 for around 200 quid on cash converters

That seems good value, I'll have a look, thanks
Refurb Apple phone
So the Moto G8 Plus came back in stock today and that's what she's getting, £190 with the education offer . Thanks all for your thoughts!
KingCampo20/11/2019 12:02

So the Moto G8 Plus came back in stock today and that's what she's …So the Moto G8 Plus came back in stock today and that's what she's getting, £190 with the education offer . Thanks all for your thoughts!

Did you see this offer for the Huawei p30 lite
£3.50 a month after cashback

hotukdeals.com/dea…116
myusernamehasgone23420/11/2019 12:53

Did you see this offer for the Huawei p30 lite£3.50 a month after …Did you see this offer for the Huawei p30 lite£3.50 a month after cashbackhttps://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/huawei-p30-lite-20pm-24-months-480-with-4gb-data-o2-at-mobile-phones-direct-396-cashback-effectively-350pm-3332116

Yes, but (1) I don't like those cashback deals due to risk of messing up and (2) buying a phone outright gives more option for changing contract as her needs change.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions