Best phone for the Mum? Thanks

Found 22nd Mar
Hey all,

With a stupid amount of phones on the market nowadays, and new ones coming out all the time seemingly, I wanted to ask the community what their go to phones are and what they would recommend.

I know a fair amount about phone specs, but always handy to have 2nd opinions for sure.

To clarify, I am not adverse to buying a phone from China, done it many times, but UK would always be preferable (obviously)

Budget? Anything except the iPhone X silly money that is.

Top points:

-Good battery
-Decent camera
-Large screen
-Decently zippy (she's coming from a failing LG G5)

Thanks in advance
Community Updates
Ask
10 Comments
look for huawei (lite) versions, samsung J series, maybe xiaomi
Hiya, mentioned this phone in another post. got it for my Mother-inlaw

Works nicely. In addition Purchased a 64gb class 10 memory card and phone case for £30 from amazon.

m.johnlewis.com/hua…mp;
Moto G4 Plus or G5 Plus
Tiddly_fiddly1 h, 47 m ago

Hiya, mentioned this phone in another post. got it for my …Hiya, mentioned this phone in another post. got it for my Mother-inlawWorks nicely. In addition Purchased a 64gb class 10 memory card and phone case for £30 from amazon.https://m.johnlewis.com/huawei-y6-android-5-4g-lte-sim-free-16gb-grey/p3371851?refreshcachedbasket=true&client_token=OztEWU5fVVNFUl9JRD0zMzAxMTg2NzY3O0RZTl9VU0VSX0NPTkZJUk09YWYxZWFjZDE4NGUyYjRkMTY0M2VmNjk3M2YwMWZmZmYzNThhY2M5Mg==&

A bit on the small side, as she wants a large screen (probably 5.2+, ideally upwards of 5.5) but it is a good suggestion should she decide on a smaller phone, thanks!
mattsk2 h, 22 m ago

look for huawei (lite) versions, samsung J series, maybe xiaomi

I was thinking perhaps the Huawei Lite, or the Honor phone that's been on sale alot but the blue colour puts me off for her, and again still like 5.2 inch screens.

Samsung, I think always worth the money to go for the Note/S series, much better futureproofing

What do you think of the Xiaomi Redmi 5 plus? Offers everywhere, big screen, decent specs, looks great, cheap
Mechtup1 h, 42 m ago

Moto G4 Plus or G5 Plus

Never had a good experience from Moto with phones, had an old Moto E, my friend had the g4, really clunky, average phones. But I see your thought process, they are big phones, with decent cameras and batteries. Too bad their style belongs in 2012-14 imho
DatAlbino2 m ago

A bit on the small side, as she wants a large screen (probably 5.2+, …A bit on the small side, as she wants a large screen (probably 5.2+, ideally upwards of 5.5) but it is a good suggestion should she decide on a smaller phone, thanks! I was thinking perhaps the Huawei Lite, or the Honor phone that's been on sale alot but the blue colour puts me off for her, and again still like 5.2 inch screens.Samsung, I think always worth the money to go for the Note/S series, much better futureproofingWhat do you think of the Xiaomi Redmi 5 plus? Offers everywhere, big screen, decent specs, looks great, cheap Never had a good experience from Moto with phones, had an old Moto E, my friend had the g4, really clunky, average phones. But I see your thought process, they are big phones, with decent cameras and batteries. Too bad their style belongs in 2012-14 imho

1. I woudl not worry about the colour. you still are going to put a case on it.
2. is it the screen size or font size issue. remember bigger screen wont make things bigger. however there are settings to increase fonts etc on the screen
mattsk1 m ago

1. I woudl not worry about the colour. you still are going to put a case …1. I woudl not worry about the colour. you still are going to put a case on it.2. is it the screen size or font size issue. remember bigger screen wont make things bigger. however there are settings to increase fonts etc on the screen

I think its more for youtube videos and just generally a Phablet/Note type device, shes never been one for a small screen

The font size may be a part of it but shes got glasses for a reason
DatAlbino5 m ago

A bit on the small side, as she wants a large screen (probably 5.2+, …A bit on the small side, as she wants a large screen (probably 5.2+, ideally upwards of 5.5) but it is a good suggestion should she decide on a smaller phone, thanks! I was thinking perhaps the Huawei Lite, or the Honor phone that's been on sale alot but the blue colour puts me off for her, and again still like 5.2 inch screens.Samsung, I think always worth the money to go for the Note/S series, much better futureproofingWhat do you think of the Xiaomi Redmi 5 plus? Offers everywhere, big screen, decent specs, looks great, cheap Never had a good experience from Moto with phones, had an old Moto E, my friend had the g4, really clunky, average phones. But I see your thought process, they are big phones, with decent cameras and batteries. Too bad their style belongs in 2012-14 imho

Good phones with brilliant specs, just a bad design. Though it suited my grandmother fine (she has the G4 Plus)
Ah okay
Mechtup8 m ago

Good phones with brilliant specs, just a bad design. Though it suited my …Good phones with brilliant specs, just a bad design. Though it suited my grandmother fine (she has the G4 Plus)

Specs look very decent indeed tbh, and the fact you can pick it up for 150 or less in the UK is a laughably low price
Shame on the Moto E-ish design in 2018 but I will keep on the table, thanks
I bought a Cubot x18 which I'm loving at the moment .
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants