Best place for currency exchange? Turkish Lira

Found 11th Aug
Hi everyone I'm going to Turkey on Monday and was wondering if anyone know who offers the best rate for the Turkish Lira ? Thanks in advance
Community Updates
Ask
16 Comments
Can’t offer advice but watch out the Lira has devalued in recent days considerably. Your money will go further.

Try and call around travel agents and brokers near you and one will normally give a better rate than the other.
Edited by: "eslick" 11th Aug
I would wait go to the nearest town near your resort and change it over there. Have a look at a few exchange shops for the best rate but you’ll get a better rate over there.

Don’t exchange at your hotel they won’t offer the best rates. If you need any money before you reach the town they will accept £, or just change a very small amount at the hotel
Edited by: "myusernamehasgone234" 11th Aug
deleted79467
eslick19 m ago

Can’t offer advice but watch out the Lira has devalued in recent days c …Can’t offer advice but watch out the Lira has devalued in recent days considerably. Your money won’t go as far. Try and call around travel agents and brokers near you and one will normally give a better rate than the other.

got it the wrong way round you may want to check facts before offering advice like that
lira has devalued so your pounds will go much further in turkey

today 1 Pound sterling equals

one month ago 6.10 turkish lira to the pound
so your money will go much further

i alway use Best Foreign Exchange Victoria Place for my currency exchanges in london and my clarity card abroad
Edited by: "deleted79467" 11th Aug
deleted7946711th Aug

not exactly true lira has devalued so your pounds will go much further in …not exactly true lira has devalued so your pounds will go much further in turkey

Of course it does brain still hasn’t woke up
When we went to turkey a few years back most place( restaurants shops etc)accepted pounds/euros/dollars and had there own exchange rates. ask google
With the lira in freefall you could well be better taking Dollars , pounds or Euros in notes . Used to be preferred to Lira in most establishments (but you always got the change in lira).
Whatever you do don't change a whole wodge of cash right now , ideally have a UK card (such as Halifax Clarity with great exchange rates) and withdraw your lira on a daily basis . Turkey is on the verge of hyperinflation.
Just come back from Marmaris (again)and tbh with the lira in freefall i found it better using £ but if you do need lira the exchange rate in Turkey is better than anything you can get here
deleted7946711th Aug

got it the wrong way round you may want to check facts before offering …got it the wrong way round you may want to check facts before offering advice like that lira has devalued so your pounds will go much further in turkeytoday 1 Pound sterling equals7.97one month ago 6.10 turkish lira to the pound so your money will go much further i alway use Best Foreign Exchange Victoria Place for my currency exchanges in london and my clarity card abroad

Good edit after I apologised already and thanked you 7 minutes before you changed your post to condemn me further

I got myself mixed up because I had my head in the Turkish space having spent the last 3 days working to help suppliers in Turkey as the devaluation has hit them massively.
Compare here...

travelmoney.moneysavingexpert.com/

But you can simply take sterling, the rate is incredibly good and the Turkish will be very keen to take your pounds instead of Lira, I got some yesterday and you can't get the spot rate in cash but you should be able to get 7.5 lira to the £ , over there you might get even better. Have a great holiday!
Revolut
Over 8 to £1 on revolut atm
What is this obsession GBers have with wasting significant amounts of their hard earned money on fees and rubbish exchange rates at Thomas Cook, Travelex and the like? I only ever exchange a small amount of £s (typically 100) for local currency and card everything else. Quite apart from anything else, I don't feel like a mugging or theft waiting to happen.

Been to Turkey many times and have never had a problem using credit cards (Halifax). As others have said, the Lira is sinking fast.
In the past 24 hours, the Turkish lira has lost around 20% of its value. No thanks to the doubling of US tariffs on Turkish steel and aluminium.

In Turkey people have also been urged to exchange foreign currency for lira to help prop up the economy (apparently). Weather this will make a difference to you or not I'm not sure.

Bookings to Turkey have also gone up in recent months - although the exact cause is, of course, hard to say.

The reports also say however that holidaying in Turkey costs less than it did last year. Eagle-eyed Brits have already figured this out, so it seems, with travel agents reporting a rise in bookings. Sounds like good news for people travelling there.

And going back to what you're asking in your opening post OP, if you want to avoid any exchange rates in future when travelling abroad then apply for a Halifax Clarity Card as mentioned above as you won't get charged interest on spending abroad, provided you pay this off in full by the date shown on your statement. You may want to check their terms and conditions though to see if there are limitations in using this card, for example, are you only allowed to withdraw half of your agreed credit limit for cash withdrawals (?). This may not be an issue for you though, it's just one of the things I've just read and thought I'd mention it.

Metro Bank's current account also charges no non-sterling transaction fees or cash withdrawal fees when you use its debit card in 32 European countries. Outside Europe, you'll pay a non-sterling transaction fee of 2.75%. You can open the account online or in branch. Quicker to open one in branch if you can, if you have one near you. The application doesn't take that long and you will have it open on the day of your appointment. I didn't have to make an appointment, just asked and they had it open within a couple of hours off my application.

metrobankonline.co.uk/store-locator/

However, I can't work out if Turkey is actually in Europe or not. According to what I'm reading Istanbul is a bridge connecting Europe and Asia. As such, it makes Turkey a part of both continents. The distribution of land, political climate and history of the country all come together to support our belief that Turkey, much like Russia, is part of both Europe and Asia simultaneously.

The capital of Turkey however, Ankara, is in Asia. Likewise, most of its land is as well. 95% of Turkey is located on the continent of Asia. Physically speaking it is Eurasian with a larger population living in Asia. Maybe people who have visited Turkey may be able to answer this.

This shouldn't be a problem with using the Halifax Clarity though as you won't get charged interest on spending abroad.

More info can be found at the following.

moneysavingexpert.com/credit-cards/travel-credit-cards/

At time of posting £1 sterling will get you 8.21 Turkish lira.
Edited by: "LemonHead" 11th Aug
Thank you for the replies everyone I think I will exchange the money over their to get better exchange rate, I was just worried by the time we got over their the lira would come up and wouldn't get as good rate as what is over here ?
I went to Turkey last year and they prefererred stirling. I had heard this before I went so I took lots of fivers and pound coins and it was definately their preference. They waited for a good exchange rate day and then changed them. That was Holiday Village near Dalaman Airport. May be worth having a nose on Facebook for your hotel and maybe get some advice from people that have been there.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants