Best place to buy a camera - esp returns policy?

Posted 22nd Sep
Helping an elderly relly find a compact camera with great pics on auto mode. She's been recommended one (Sony RX100 IV) - looks suitable, but it's £549 and she's really worried about return policies if she can't get on with it.

Amazon would be first stop, but only 3rd party sellers on this one. John Lewis do them, but unsure of how strict they are on opened boxes, and some say they their customer service is a lot meaner than of old. (Dunno if Sony posh compacts have those seals that show if box has been opened?)

Prefer an online retailer, as consumer rights are supposedly better. For example, Jessops say the box must still be sealed in their terms for instore returns, yet don't in terms for online returns.
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

6 Comments
Is your relative what you'd call a serious photographer or just wanting to take some pictures on holidays, trips out, etc? The reason I ask is because I'm sure you could get a compact system camera that takes nice pictures on auto for a lot less than £549.
Edited by: "Haircut_100" 22nd Sep
Frankly if they don't know if they will 'get on with it' they should be going to some physical shops and playing with the demo models not buying online.
Thanks. She's a total technophobe, but very choosy about picture quality. She just wants a point & shoot compact with the best pictures, and some reviews reckon it is.

Unfortunately she lives a long way from any shops that stock it, not that instore 'play withs' ever give a full idea of a product.
woodface722/09/2019 15:32

Thanks. She's a total technophobe, but very choosy about picture quality. …Thanks. She's a total technophobe, but very choosy about picture quality. She just wants a point & shoot compact with the best pictures, and some reviews reckon it is. Unfortunately she lives a long way from any shops that stock it, not that instore 'play withs' ever give a full idea of a product.

The thing is though, unless she is printing at A3 size and above picture quality isn't actually as important as you might think it, and using a nice compact system camera (or just fixed compact) in point 'n shoot auto mode is a bit of a waste. Obviously it's her money and she's free to buy and spend what she wants, but for someone that is a technophobe and not sure if they'll get on with it, that really isn't the kind of camera that I'd be recommending to them. But like I say, it's her half a grand, not mine.
Displays em on a 55 inch 4k TV. Wish I hadn't mentioned the camera or pricepoint cause she doesn't need advice on which to buy.

Just like to hear from anyone with experience of etailers' returns policies.
Go on, admit you couldn't spell relative.
Edited by: "philedsch" 22nd Sep
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants