Expired

Best place to buy a new Kitchen Sink and taps from?

26 replies
Found 19th Jun 2009
Dont seem to have a great range in B&qQ and the taps are really expensive.

Anywhere to get them more cheaper?

26 Comments

Try ebay or [url]www.plumbworld.co.uk[/url] ebay is probably your best bet. I got a stunning flat bathroom radiator for about £100 and they are over £300 elsewhere.

Original Poster

Does going from a double tap sink to a single tap sink involve a lot of work?

makershaker;5539898

Does going from a double tap sink to a single tap sink involve a lot of … Does going from a double tap sink to a single tap sink involve a lot of work?

Depends on what's already there. If you have flexi pipes going to the taps, it's easy either way. If they're pre-bent copper pipes then you might be better going for a two-hole sink and mixer unit to fit this rather than trying to get new pipework sorted.

Original Poster

Xb0xGuru;5539927

Depends on what's already there. If you have flexi pipes going to the … Depends on what's already there. If you have flexi pipes going to the taps, it's easy either way. If they're pre-bent copper pipes then you might be better going for a two-hole sink and mixer unit to fit this rather than trying to get new pipework sorted.

Its 2 copper pipes going into each tap, i just checked.

So what do i need to make it into a single tap sink?

Doesnt seem to be much choice in 2 hole sinks, i was hoping for a round shaped one but they all seem to have a single hole.

Sorry, i'm clueless when it comes to DIY :oops:

makershaker;5539898

Does going from a double tap sink to a single tap sink involve a lot of … Does going from a double tap sink to a single tap sink involve a lot of work?

You can get 900mm flexy hoses to reach so it's naw bother.:thumbsup:
screwfix.com/pro…0mm

makershaker;5539977

Its 2 copper pipes going into each tap, i just checked.So what do i need … Its 2 copper pipes going into each tap, i just checked.So what do i need to make it into a single tap sink?Doesnt seem to be much choice in 2 hole sinks, i was hoping for a round shaped one but they all seem to have a single hole.Sorry, i'm clueless when it comes to DIY :oops:

Again there are factors to consider - do the copper pipes go back to a central area or is there a join nearby? If you've enough room to move the copper pipes without damaging them, you can get flexi-pipes to extend the fixed ones which makes a darn sight easier to fit into a single mixer unit.

Trace the pipes back and see where the next join is...

Broxy;5540011

You can get 900mm flexy hoses to reach so it's naw … You can get 900mm flexy hoses to reach so it's naw bother.:thumbsup:http://www.screwfix.com/prods/26040/Plumbing/Flexible-Hoses/Flexible-Tap-Connector-15mm-x-1-2-x-900mm

Yep, they'll do the job depending on where the previous join is, or how much movement you have in the fixed pipes.

makershaker;5539977

Its 2 copper pipes going into each tap, i just checked.So what do i need … Its 2 copper pipes going into each tap, i just checked.So what do i need to make it into a single tap sink?Doesnt seem to be much choice in 2 hole sinks, i was hoping for a round shaped one but they all seem to have a single hole.Sorry, i'm clueless when it comes to DIY :oops:

All you need is a 15mm pipe slice to shorten the copper then attach the flexys to this and connect to the tap, job done in 2 mins but then I am a Pipe fitter.;-)

Broxy;5540051

All you need is a 15mm pipe slice to shorten the copper then attach the … All you need is a 15mm pipe slice to shorten the copper then attach the flexys to this and connect to the tap, job done in 2 mins but then I am a Pipe fitter.;-)

Stuff's always easier when you do it for a living :thumbsup:

Xb0xGuru;5540074

Stuff's always easier when you do it for a living :thumbsup:

True;-)

Original Poster

http://i41.tinypic.com/6ypc77.jpg

then under the shelf...

http://i41.tinypic.com/aadc0j.jpg

What can i do?

Have you fitted pipes before?

Original Poster

lol! I'm rubbish at lego never mind pipe fitting!

Going by these pictures, can it be done easy?

I've a joiner coming to fit new worktops and i wanted to get a better looking sink. He said he can put the sink in for me, but wondering if he'll be able to change it to a single tap without costing me a fortune?

You could always ask - it does look like you've a little movement in the pipes once they've been released from the taps - you may get away with connecting two short flexi-pipes to the existing ones.

I would be cutting the pipes about 6 inches down (removing the earth clamps and relocating a bit further down), then fitting a new compression joint on both with a 6-7 inch flexi-pipe.

If you're not sure, don't attempt it as you really don't want to cause more work for someone to do it properly- THEN it will cost you!

Original Poster

much would it cost for a plumber to do that? Roughly?

Have you tried IKEA for taps and sink?

We got a great mixer tap from there a couple of years ago, or you could try WICKS, they're always having offers on so you might get something there.

Original Poster

I'd rather have a single tap though!

I got my round sink from Ikea many moons ago:thumbsup:

You may find the hardest job is turning the water off, sounds easy? until you try turning the hot water supply off, but you can try that now at no cost. then look at doing the job yourself but bear in mind if you go to a single tap you will probably find the connection will be 10mm not 15mm, it is still not a problem you will get all the fittings cheaply at screwfix.
i did exactly what you are doing a couple of months ago......................easy

Just a little confused with your single tap, its reads above you don't want a mixer tap? surely thats a single tap, or do you want to keep it as it is with two single taps.?

Original Poster

Oh i thought a mixer was what i have, 2 taps with a single spout in the middle!

Im wanting a single tap for both hot and cold water

KazzyD;5540457

Have you tried IKEA for taps and sink?We got a great mixer tap from there … Have you tried IKEA for taps and sink?We got a great mixer tap from there a couple of years ago, or you could try WICKS, they're always having offers on so you might get something there.

makershaker;5540468

I'd rather have a single tap though!

the above quotes threw me!
Sounds like you have a mixer tap with two cut-outs in the sink unit, you can get one with one cut out, it dosen't matter which you buy as long as you get the correct sink unit for the taps or if you buy the sink unit first thre correct taps to fit the sink unit.
make sure you know the size of your sink unit before you buy a new one so if you buy a bigger one you can cut out the bigger hole in the worktop, not forgeting if you have cupboards underneath they may have sides on which may obstruct the new sink unit.

even if you don't buy from Screwfix its worth getting their catalogue to veiw sizes and what flexible pipes they have etc.
if you do the job consider putting isolating valves on both pipes under the sink unit. (easy to do when the water is switched off and it allows you to just work on those taps in the future without affecting the water supply to other areas of the house.

Hi, I have a brand new tap for sale, its in this expired thread ]http//ww…639 £30 delivered if you are interested.

Dunno if its the same for all things plumbing but friend of mine with property in france said that bathroom stuff was soooo much cheaper in france. He was talking about shower cubicles mainly but if you have lots to do and can get across the channel easily might be worth price shopping.

WoolyM;5544748

Dunno if its the same for all things plumbing but friend of mine with … Dunno if its the same for all things plumbing but friend of mine with property in france said that bathroom stuff was soooo much cheaper in france. He was talking about shower cubicles mainly but if you have lots to do and can get across the channel easily might be worth price shopping.

This isn't the first time I've heard this :thumbsup:

makershaker;5542512

Oh i thought a mixer was what i have, 2 taps with a single spout in the … Oh i thought a mixer was what i have, 2 taps with a single spout in the middle!Im wanting a single tap for both hot and cold water

You want a monoblock which is a mixer.:thumbsup:
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. So Brexit isn't going how a lot of Brexiters thought it would33134
    2. Mercedes-Benz recalls 400,000 cars in UK over airbag fault88
    3. Analogue's Super Nt SNES Wants to Do What Nintendon't38
    4. 02 priority22

See more discussions