Best place to buy a new sofa?

Found 15th Aug 2015
Hi, we are looking at new sofas. Got a few choices from the 3 main shops by us. DFS, SCS and Sofaworks. Heard bad things about DFS. Sofa works is more expensive but do you get what you pay for? Which shops would you recommend as the best one?
Community Updates
AskSofa
18 Comments
We've used Harvey's and SCS before. Harvey's gave us excellent customer service. Gave us a 20% discount that we werent aware of at time of purchase and also replaced the entire suite for nothing, 2 years after we purchased it, because the leather had discoloured in a tiny area on one of the seats.
I had a good quality leather suite from DFS. Had it for around 13 years, was starting to wear a bit on the seat because the dog kept sleeping on one side and his claws caught some of the leather, otherwise it was still fine. Good quality imo.
The first thing to decide is what you want to get. Do you want to pay for a high end sofa with horsehair fabric and latex foam cushions? It'll last a few decades, but you might fancy a change in ten years and second hand furniture prices aren't very high.

And on that subject, do you want to buy a new sofa when you can get an unwanted one for 10% or 20% of the price?

If you end up looking at the higher price ranges (around a grand or higher) then it's worth looking at alternatives such as buying a second hand piece and having it reupholstered. You might end up with something much nicer and much more unique.

I haven't looked at armchairs/sofas specifically so I can't give you any specific guidance but I would expect some fairly high possible markups of 200-300% from experience with other furniture.
how much u want to spend what styles do you like modern traditional qiirky vintage
I went and looked at sofa workshop then went to their outlet and got a great deal
Original Poster
We are after a leather 3 seater and a 2 seater. Prices range from 1000 to 1500.
EndlessWaves

The first thing to decide is what you want to get. Do you want to pay for … The first thing to decide is what you want to get. Do you want to pay for a high end sofa with horsehair fabric and latex foam cushions? It'll last a few decades, but you might fancy a change in ten years and second hand furniture prices aren't very high.And on that subject, do you want to buy a new sofa when you can get an unwanted one for 10% or 20% of the price?If you end up looking at the higher price ranges (around a grand or higher) then it's worth looking at alternatives such as buying a second hand piece and having it reupholstered. You might end up with something much nicer and much more unique. I haven't looked at armchairs/sofas specifically so I can't give you any specific guidance but I would expect some fairly high possible markups of 200-300% from experience with other furniture.

If you can get a high quality and excellent condition second hand one it's worth considering. However, in my experience the cost of reupholstering was very expensive.
We purchased one from SofaWorks (used to be CSL), big mistake! We had colour run on the sofa and problems with the structural support drooping. We ended up taking it to a professional indepdent upholsterer who boosted it and re-covered both sofas for us. You only need to use Google to see the large number of complaints people have with the big three who always advertise on Television.

If I was buying again I would advise anyone to just go out and buy an old clapped out sofa cheap from a charity shop or second hand place, then look to get it upholstered from a qualified professional. The wide choice of materials, quality and turnaround from start to finish is amazing, plus also not as expensive as people may think.
We would not buy a sofa from Sofaworks we spent £2700.00 on a leather sofa and two chairs from them it was from the premium collection after only having it for 2 months the leather peeled off and the cushions all flattened it looked like we had had it for years.
We had 3 months of trying to get Sofaworks to rectify the problem and they blamed us eventually we went to the Furniture Ombudsman and got our money back. Avoid them at all costs as the customer service is terrible once they have your money. The furniture was very badly made. We brought one eventually from Famous Brands Furniture on Ebay and is has been brilliant and a lot cheaper. We refer to Sofaworks as stressworks
Argos
nabru online had it 7 years and going good
tomdavidrichards

Argos

​wow
I got a cracking leather sofa in the John Lewis sale.Had one from Ikea too which is still kicking 10 years later.beware of the guarantee in some shops before you buy and read the small print
Bought from dfs X2. Sofas last with reasonable family wear for 8-10 years.
Good back up service.
Frames guaranteed for 10 years.
Interest free payments.
Can't go wrong
I'm about to order a lovely grey 3 seater sofa from Asda of all places, some amazing reviews. U can order swatches and there are loads o sale at the moment. Worth a look. Only other place I've considered is DFS
We got our Leather recliner sofa from SCS,they were trying to get us to buy the one we wanted instore when we said if we go home and order online with TCB we will get cashback,the old guy had never heard about it so OH brought it up on his phone to show him then he went and asked the Manager if we could have the same discount & they said yes!

They also worked it out wrong & got more discount than we should have X)

The only downside was the delivery people,I didn't want them walking on my new carpet with wet feet as it was raining,they said they didn't have overshoes.When I complained to SCS about this on Facebook they said the drivers are supplied with overshoes,so obviously they were being awkward !
Thumbs up from DFS from me - seem to have better quality than some of the other stores, and when I mentioned in my customer survey that the sofa seemed a bit soft where I liked to sit, they sent around a guy to add extra padding!
That's what I call good customer service!
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants