Best place to buy a quality sofa

Posted 26th Feb
Had a look in sofology the other day and they had some decent looking sofas that the Mrs wanted but after doing a little research when I got home I found out they have been on watchdog for poor customer service and poor sofas

checked DFS and SCS and to be honest the quality wasn't the best

any recommendations please of who to use and if they last without sagging ect after just a few months
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

Top comments
efc_4ever26/02/2020 18:13

My wife has said she prefers the ones on Harvey's and they have a big sale …My wife has said she prefers the ones on Harvey's and they have a big sale on at the moment

Take it from a man with nearly 19 years experience. The wife is always right
45 Comments
Could be a long shot but Ikea? I wouldn’t recommend Debenhams or John Lewis as *usually* it’s all overpriced and not exactly sturdy.
darkfrost126/02/2020 09:23

Could be a long shot but Ikea? I wouldn’t recommend Debenhams or John L …Could be a long shot but Ikea? I wouldn’t recommend Debenhams or John Lewis as *usually* it’s all overpriced and not exactly sturdy.

I was just looking on John Lewis and like you said the sofas do look way overpriced. I'll check Ikea. Do Ikea have them in store?
Edited by: "efc_4ever" 26th Feb
Costco do good quality and often have some good deals, however also have ones that are expensive. There used to be quite a few places to get quality ones but after looking for one recently for one of my parents we decided to get ours re foamed as the quality was so poor since we last bought ours about 17 years ago and we couldnt see any lasting that long this time round.
eslick26/02/2020 09:41

Costco do good quality and often have some good deals, however also have …Costco do good quality and often have some good deals, however also have ones that are expensive. There used to be quite a few places to get quality ones but after looking for one recently for one of my parents we decided to get ours re foamed as the quality was so poor since we last bought ours about 17 years ago and we couldnt see any lasting that long this time round.

Totally agree. The quality of most we have looked at is quite bad and I really can't see it lasting long from the stores we checked up to now
Saxon leather in Bolton...
+1 for Costco. They seem to have quality sofas and good prices. And their non fuss return policy is the best. Also +1 for IKEA as they sell probably the same quality stuff as those sofa shops, but at cheaper prices and usually with a better warranty.

It might sound odd, but I probably wouldn't buy a sofa from a shop that *only* sells sofas.
jambone26/02/2020 11:49

+1 for Costco. They seem to have quality sofas and good prices. And their …+1 for Costco. They seem to have quality sofas and good prices. And their non fuss return policy is the best. Also +1 for IKEA as they sell probably the same quality stuff as those sofa shops, but at cheaper prices and usually with a better warranty.It might sound odd, but I probably wouldn't buy a sofa from a shop that *only* sells sofas.

Do I need a membership for Costco?
efc_4ever26/02/2020 11:52

Do I need a membership for Costco?

Yes you do. You can also have a look online, although the stock is often different online to what is in-store.
Edited by: "jambone" 26th Feb
I have picked up excellent bargains at the local charity shops like BHF.
Marks and Spencer?
AFH. Found them to be good quality and no pressure in sales.
Next. It's the best sofa we've ever had.
My DFS sofa is still in decent condition after 4 years, although I can't speak for the quality now.
efc_4ever26/02/2020 13:12

Somebody said not to use them

Nothing wrong with our m&s sofas, you'll always find someone who doesn't like something.
darkfrost126/02/2020 09:23

Could be a long shot but Ikea? I wouldn’t recommend Debenhams or John L …Could be a long shot but Ikea? I wouldn’t recommend Debenhams or John Lewis as *usually* it’s all overpriced and not exactly sturdy.

I’m not too sure to be honest? I think you may have to order. We’ve had our one since Christmas and we love it. Has a pull out otterman underneath which is handy to have and it can also pull out as a double bed in case we have guests.

I’d say take a look on their website and if you have any local stores pop in and see if they have it ready to collect. (If you wanted to collect)
Take a look at the filling for the cushions. Fibre filled is similar to the stuff inside pillows and duvets and it very quickly looks saggy. Foam is much more robust and will hold its shape. Fibre is cheaper than foam - and that's reflected in the price. Just don't assume that a cheap sofa has fibre and an expensive one foam - because the fabric is the most expensive part of a sofa and that's the part that we see.
Having taken apart an Ikea sofabed I must say I wasn't impressed! Btw I find sofa beds very hard to use as a sofa, in hard I mean uncomfortable.
Laura Ashley
I like my Harvey's sofa. No issues.
Edited by: ".MUFC." 26th Feb
I suppose the quality at any seller depends on the price your willing to pay and the products used, you said dfs looked poor quality but my friends £2000 leather corner sofa from dfs is the most comfortable sofa ive ever sat on and it seems very strong and well built and the leather and stitching is top notch, best ive ever seen
Edited by: "Mark_Hickman" 26th Feb
Harvey's for me. Good prices and the quality is superior to the DFS sofas I have had for around the same price range.
dbizal26/02/2020 18:02

Harvey's for me. Good prices and the quality is superior to the DFS sofas …Harvey's for me. Good prices and the quality is superior to the DFS sofas I have had for around the same price range.

My wife has said she prefers the ones on Harvey's and they have a big sale on at the moment
+1 for Harvey’s. Excellent customer service.
efc_4ever26/02/2020 18:13

My wife has said she prefers the ones on Harvey's and they have a big sale …My wife has said she prefers the ones on Harvey's and they have a big sale on at the moment

Take it from a man with nearly 19 years experience. The wife is always right
.MUFC.26/02/2020 18:17

Take it from a man with nearly 19 years experience. The wife is always …Take it from a man with nearly 19 years experience. The wife is always right

I've had my cream fabric sofas from dfs for 15 years now and apart from having the arm cushions restuffed and a bit of splitting at the back seam of one seat cushion they are still in super condition. I had them scotch guarded although I wash all the covers so that's probably gone. They are more comfortable than anyone elses that I know so I'm definitely a fan of dfs. Anything that has survived my 2 kids and a sofa sleeping ex must be good.
.MUFC.26/02/2020 14:49

I like my Harvey's sofa. No issues.

I agree. Paid £299 for a fabric 4 seater 11 years ago which is still going strong after 3 children. Covers are removable and we put them in the washing machine even though they say dry clean only. They wash well and go back on fine.
Thats a difficult question but defo not Sofology. Its all style over substance.

I've had one and after a couple of months the support in the cushions disappear along with the customer service.

I would go for an independent local furniture store as you are more likely to get good customer service.

But a lot depends on the budget.
Dfs sofa coming up to 16 yrs and still looking great bar one seat where the leather has split. Haven't sagged, great craftsmanship. it was called 'zio'. No idea about the quality of goods they sell now- but ill be watching this thread for advice as like op, am in the market for a new sofa finally
Saracens in bolton - he makes to your spec. Had ours donkeys years now with no problems
Depends on your budget but if your after high end I would recommend - Natuzzi

natuzzi.co.uk/pro…ofa
nrackham7626/02/2020 22:41

Depends on your budget but if your after high end I would recommend - …Depends on your budget but if your after high end I would recommend - Natuzzi https://www.natuzzi.co.uk/promotions/en-UK/sofa

I can't see prices
we got DFS sofas 1.5 years ago and they are the most comfortable sofa i have ever sat on! they were on sale (i know DFS is always having a sale (lol), but some sales are bigger than others!) and i would buy from DFS again when these need upgrading. i don't know people slate them to be honest.
mutley126/02/2020 23:12

we got DFS sofas 1.5 years ago and they are the most comfortable sofa i …we got DFS sofas 1.5 years ago and they are the most comfortable sofa i have ever sat on! they were on sale (i know DFS is always having a sale (lol), but some sales are bigger than others!) and i would buy from DFS again when these need upgrading. i don't know people slate them to be honest.

What is it called please the sofa you purchased
efc_4ever26/02/2020 22:46

I can't see prices

They don’t show prices on the website, they are not a high street store.
They are designed and hand made in Italy. You need to make contact to go through options (choose your mood board) they will then quote you accordingly.
nrackham7627/02/2020 08:24

They don’t show prices on the website, they are not a high street s …They don’t show prices on the website, they are not a high street store.They are designed and hand made in Italy. You need to make contact to go through options (choose your mood board) they will then quote you accordingly.

Hhmm sounds a bit high end for the budget we have. Thanks though
Edited by: "efc_4ever" 27th Feb
We have just bought a new sofa from DFS, the last one lasted 11 years through two children (from babies) and was leather. The sofa is still good we just fancied a change, so hopefully get a few 100 for it.. its in far too good condition for the tip.
w1nd27/02/2020 08:41

We have just bought a new sofa from DFS, the last one lasted 11 years …We have just bought a new sofa from DFS, the last one lasted 11 years through two children (from babies) and was leather. The sofa is still good we just fancied a change, so hopefully get a few 100 for it.. its in far too good condition for the tip.

Did you opt for a leather one again or have you got a fabric sofa this time around? We have a 2yr old so we need to be careful on what type of sofa we buy and what colour

If we get leather then I think it would be easier to clean with spills from the kid. Juice or whatever it may be
Edited by: "efc_4ever" 27th Feb
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Discussions

Top Merchants