Best place to buy engagement ring?

Found 28th Jan 2015
As title suggests - am in need of idea's of place to buy a decent ring, I was mainly looking in FH hinds - and there ok, but i feel there are probably better shops out there.

I dislike H samuel - low grade +high price.

It ideally needs to be white or yellow gold - and have at least 1 Diamond of reasonable quality!!! I looked up info about clarity and colour. I found I can get between 0.25carat to 0.38 for the diamond. It hasnt got to be massive, she has tiny fingers! It would look stupid.

My budget is going to be up to £500 for the ring ( I'm no Footballer or fat Spanking Banker....)

so yeah - just list some shops and il see what i can find? TY and wish me luck (^_^)
Community Updates
Ask
29 Comments
Lunns is popular where I come from
Buy second hand, you will get much more for your money, and in all likelihood it will be far better made if it's an older piece.
Local pawn brokers or second hand jewellery shops will get you the most for your money by far. You might be surprised what you see in there-things have been polished up to look brand new and you'll get a bigger/better diamond for your buck.
i've been trying to find the ideal ring for a while now. i recommend ernest jones, beaverbrooks, goldsmiths. don't forget to look for promo codes, and cashback if buying online.

also, i'm sure you know, white gold tarnishes over time and needs to be replated every year or two depending on her job. something to bare in mind.
If you live near London, you could try going up Hatton Garden and try to cut a deal for cash. Used to be much cheaper than the retail shops. For a real bargain, India.
I've no suggestions but just wanted to say congratulations!
airbus330

If you live near London, you could try going up Hatton Garden and try to … If you live near London, you could try going up Hatton Garden and try to cut a deal for cash. Used to be much cheaper than the retail shops. For a real bargain, India.

good tip. or if you're near york, try the diamond district.
Amazon are doing up to 70% off at the moment. Think it finishes at the end of the month, not sure. Congrats amazon.co.uk/s/r…%3A!425592031%2Cn%3A!425594031%2Cn%3A5572251031%2Cn%3A197392031&pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_s=merchandised-search-5&pf_rd_r=1N633M0SYBS6DQ51D77Y&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=569170547&pf_rd_i=5572251031
Don't bother with diamonds, biggest scam out there. Go with a gem that looks very nice in stead, fraction of the cost as well.
PenguinsForAll

Don't bother with diamonds, biggest scam out there. Go with a gem that … Don't bother with diamonds, biggest scam out there. Go with a gem that looks very nice in stead, fraction of the cost as well.

Amethyst is nice.
espirit77

i've been trying to find the ideal ring for a while now. i recommend … i've been trying to find the ideal ring for a while now. i recommend ernest jones, beaverbrooks, goldsmiths. don't forget to look for promo codes, and cashback if buying online.also, i'm sure you know, white gold tarnishes over time and needs to be replated every year or two depending on her job. something to bare in mind.

I have had my white gold ring set for ten years, no tarnish at all. Depends on the quality purchased. But sound advice if unknown to buyer.
PenguinsForAll

Don't bother with diamonds, biggest scam out there. Go with a gem that … Don't bother with diamonds, biggest scam out there. Go with a gem that looks very nice in stead, fraction of the cost as well.

Agreed, I gave mine a ruby. In all honesty I do wonder if ladies would ever know if all us men gave zirconia.
Ha ha ha of course we would know my partner got mine in dubai but i know that's a bit to far away if you ever go to a wedding show, sometimes they have samples on display which they can sell or you can negotiate a bargain. Anyway congratulations and good luck
themorgatron

Buy second hand, you will get much more for your money, and in all … Buy second hand, you will get much more for your money, and in all likelihood it will be far better made if it's an older piece.

Yes, I totally agree, better value for money, and you can pick up something with a bit of character. You'll find some really great jewellers in most towns that sell antique/ preloved items.
paulathompson

Yes, I totally agree, better value for money, and you can pick up … Yes, I totally agree, better value for money, and you can pick up something with a bit of character. You'll find some really great jewellers in most towns that sell antique/ preloved items.

Most womwn dont want second hand or antique though. If they did, the price wouldnt be so much lower than new. Does tell you how quickly items depreciate once they've left the shop though. Kinda like cars. Some people only buy used, some only buy new. I wouldnt be happy with a used ring. You cant polish off years of wear, sorry but you cant.
I imported mine from India, cost £1500 & valued at £6k in the local jewellers. I don't think the site exists anymore though.
Birmingham Jewellery Quarter, cut out the middle man.
traydog

Birmingham Jewellery Quarter, cut out the middle man.

Absolutely, got my wedding ring made to my own design cost less than a third of the regular rings made to the same gold standard.
Do you have any tesco club card vouchers? Goldsmiths will give you £30 for every £10 voucher. When I got married I got a £600 wedding ring for £150 of vouchers.
beaverbrooks have a good selection
Hi all thanks for the responses - i shall try the sites suggested, and also look around my 2 local towns and see whats available in the 2nd hand jewellers etc! I am definately restricted to white gold though as all her other jewellery i bought is white gold with either diamonds and various pink stones - i know diamonds are kind of plain and often overpriced but i like the idea of what they symbolize! I doubt i'l have time to look abroad and import or travel to birmingham - but i will keep that in mind when trying to find a matching ring to complete the set! ( obv, only is she says yes).

i also came across this site - diamondsfactory.co.uk - any thoughts/previous buyers?
Tahae_T

Hi all thanks for the responses - i shall try the sites suggested, and … Hi all thanks for the responses - i shall try the sites suggested, and also look around my 2 local towns and see whats available in the 2nd hand jewellers etc! I am definately restricted to white gold though as all her other jewellery i bought is white gold with either diamonds and various pink stones - i know diamonds are kind of plain and often overpriced but i like the idea of what they symbolize! I doubt i'l have time to look abroad and import or travel to birmingham - but i will keep that in mind when trying to find a matching ring to complete the set! ( obv, only is she says yes).i also came across this site - http://www.diamondsfactory.co.uk - any thoughts/previous buyers?

White gold is just coated yellow gold and some second hand jewelers might be able to coat it for you.
Well white gold is mixed with other elements and then coated, so yellow gold coated would look the same.
I'd hope older stuff would be ok - and jewllery from Hind's is good - ones i bought so far have been fine 5 yrs! I have a plating station at work too - and can plate most things with gold or rhodium - i did my house key once - very blingy but made it stiff in the lock
Hi, yes I got platinum wedding ring to my spec, for half the price and my daughter got the loveliest of rings for her 21st at half the price again!
Tahae_T

i know diamonds are kind of plain and often overpriced but i like the … i know diamonds are kind of plain and often overpriced but i like the idea of what they symbolize!

The De Beers diamond cartel of course
Henvig

Absolutely, got my wedding ring made to my own design cost less than a … Absolutely, got my wedding ring made to my own design cost less than a third of the regular rings made to the same gold standard.

Another vote from me, I live near it too. The wife got an antique diamond ring for £700 and it still sparkles like mad.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants