BEST PLACE TO BUY PC / COMPUTER PARTS/COMPONENTS

Found 25th Nov 2011
Hi guys. I posted this deal of a custom built system:
hotukdeals.com/dea…737

but have been told over and over that building my own computer would be a LOT cheaper. Thing is though I've never built one!!! But I want to know the best places to buy PC components.

I know of:
Ebuyer
Dabs
Scan
Overclockers

but are there any websites that are as competitive as these that are reliable? Cheers
Community Updates
MiscPC
18 Comments
Overclockers + Dabs, stay away from them tbh, google yourself some reviews.

Scan is my first choice normally, ebuyer is always overpriced imo, find an item you want, and google the product name, find cheaper retailers, normally you find that some parts are cheaper elsewhere, for example my system was bought fully from scan, even though dabs had 1 item cheaper (only £5) but I bought it from scan, as if you encounter a problem with the build, the companies will blame the part you bought from elsewhere.. so if you buy all parts from one company your covered more
MiiCK

Overclockers + Dabs, stay away from them tbh, google yourself some … Overclockers + Dabs, stay away from them tbh, google yourself some reviews.Scan is my first choice normally, ebuyer is always overpriced imo, find an item you want, and google the product name, find cheaper retailers, normally you find that some parts are cheaper elsewhere, for example my system was bought fully from scan, even though dabs had 1 item cheaper (only £5) but I bought it from scan, as if you encounter a problem with the build, the companies will blame the part you bought from elsewhere.. so if you buy all parts from one company your covered more

Ahhh okay cheers for that MiiCK very shady on their part but then again business is business. I'll be sure to buy from one place. Any tips or tutorials though? I'm searching YouTube but the machines I've come across are quite old and I'm planning on using a new motherboard, PSU, etc. or is it the same instructions with newer stuff?
dcx_badass

Don't use OCUK no matter what, avoid.I normally use ebuyer, have used … Don't use OCUK no matter what, avoid.I normally use ebuyer, have used them for over 6 years with no problems, always found them fantastic, great CS and comes quickly.Found Scan fine aswell although not had to use the CS yet so can't comment on that.Also at the story above I don't think that would ever happen.

Ok cool so Overclockers is a definite no go. I've used ebuyer in the past but their prices are getting a bit ut of hand some of them I noticed a while ago were similar to store prices! I am inclined to buy from them but their prices are putting me off really but thought I'd get the opinions of the HUKD members here
DCX, it does happen and has happened to me in the past.

Qaari, it's really easy to build a machine, all tutorials are old yes, but same principal, make sure all the parts are compatible with each other (post them here if you need help)
I used to use ebuyer a lot myself, but your right, some prices resembling PCW/Currys, stupid seen as they're online.
MiiCK

DCX, it does happen and has happened to me in the past. Qaari, it's … DCX, it does happen and has happened to me in the past. Qaari, it's really easy to build a machine, all tutorials are old yes, but same principal, make sure all the parts are compatible with each other (post them here if you need help)

Okay I will do. Thank you MiiCK I thought it would be similar to build but like you said I'm worried about compatibility so will have to double check before I buy. When I've got a list I'll put it up for you guys but please don't judge me lol
Don't forget Amazon as they sometimes have the same prices and great customer service. Used to use Scan when they had free shipping and good deals on 'today only' prices. Not a fan of overclockers but did used to use them many years ago when they were the only retailer to stock certain brands in the UK.
TBH only had a handful of items gone wrong in the 10 years or so I've been building my own stuff.

Oh if anybody sees a retailer stocking the Sapphire HD6670 low profile on there travels round the net drop me a PM. Cheers.
I've been looking at scan and dabs and my mind is boggled lol. I'm not sure if this is relevant but I have a P5W DH Deluxe motherboard in my current desktop with 4GB memory and ATI Radeon X1650 cross-fired. I'm getting vibration noises and I think the PSU might be causing it.

Would upgrading my current desktop be more viable rather than buying a new system or doing a completely new build? Cos memory could be expanded to 8GB, CPU is quad core but graphics card is seriously outdated and I'm sure the PSU is clapping out. Let me know any of you guys with experience pleeease
Yes a new graphics card, new psu and a SSD boot drive will help you well on your way. If still using the stock cooler with your cpu (guessing at Q6600) then a cheap upgrade is worth it. I wouldn't spend on the ram for now 4gb is enough.
Then in the future you can buy a new mobo, ram and cpu and a data drive which should all be cheaper in 6 months when Ivy bridge is out and hard disk production is back in full swing.

What would be the best PSU and graphics card for this specific motherboard? Yep it's the Q6600.vIf I upgrade the stock cooler do I have to remove the current one and then apply thermal paste or something and fix it back on the CPU? I'm guessing it's something like that I already have an SSD Boot drive. I just tried to search in Google but have NO idea which are the right ones to buy .......

GAVINLEWISHUKD

Yes a new graphics card, new psu and a SSD boot drive will help you well … Yes a new graphics card, new psu and a SSD boot drive will help you well on your way. If still using the stock cooler with your cpu (guessing at Q6600) then a cheap upgrade is worth it. I wouldn't spend on the ram for now 4gb is enough. Then in the future you can buy a new mobo, ram and cpu and a data drive which should all be cheaper in 6 months when Ivy bridge is out and hard disk production is back in full swing.

Well will start with a PSU. You can ask people until the cows come home on 'which brand is best' I stick with a simple rule. If its certified '80+ bronze' or better you know it's of some quality. Next most PSU's are most efficient at around 80% load also pushing them over this on a regular basis also shortens there life cycle. But you also have to remember that on low loading they aren't very efficient either, so buying a 1000w PSU and topping it out at 300w is not the way to go.

Ok, so your aiming for 80% of the PSU power output as a goal. As the heavy pull items in your system use the 12v rails then its 80% of this you are aiming for. So your unlikely to top 150w for the cpu (now or newer) when overclocked moderately. Next is your graphics card so say for example you choose a HD6950 which is rated at 200w, I always budget in for 2 as I may well add one as crossfire in the future. Next I add 50w for other bits like mobo usage, dvd drive and hard disks. So your usage at max will be about 600w so to stick with the 80% rule you would be looking around the 750w mark on the 12v rail(s). If your going for a lesser GPU or are only getting a mobo with one GPU slot then adjust as needed.

As for a cooler it doesn't have to be fancy even something like a £13 Freezer pro rev2 is a vast improvement over the stock cooler supplied with the Q6600. Whichever one you go for just make sure it has fixings for 775 (for your Q6600) and 1155/1156 for your next CPU (if sticking with Intel) as for cleaning and fitting it will be far easier if you just watch one of the million youtube vids than me explaining it.

Qaari

What would be the best PSU and graphics card for this specific … What would be the best PSU and graphics card for this specific motherboard? Yep it's the Q6600.vIf I upgrade the stock cooler do I have to remove the current one and then apply thermal paste or something and fix it back on the CPU? I'm guessing it's something like that I already have an SSD Boot drive. I just tried to search in Google but have NO idea which are the right ones to buy .......

Okay I don't think I'm gonna be getting a really powerfull GPU. I've been looking at the Radeon 6770 but not sure if it's compatible with the P5W DH Deluxe?But will only be needing one GPU slot unless crossfiring can be done not too relatively expensive.... I won't be overclocking or anything like that and although you say 4GB RAM is enough, in Control Panel it says only 2.62GB usable although it's 64-bit Windows???
I've managed to do is unscrew the side of my case and take some pictures maybe that'll help? I'll upload them now but hopefully you should be able to see my current PSU, graphics cards etc in them. I've also taken a pic of the control panel showing CPU and RAM so don't know if that will help either but I'll upload them all shortly

GAVINLEWISHUKD

Well will start with a PSU. You can ask people until the cows come home … Well will start with a PSU. You can ask people until the cows come home on 'which brand is best' I stick with a simple rule. If its certified '80+ bronze' or better you know it's of some quality. Next most PSU's are most efficient at around 80% load also pushing them over this on a regular basis also shortens there life cycle. But you also have to remember that on low loading they aren't very efficient either, so buying a 1000w PSU and topping it out at 300w is not the way to go.Ok, so your aiming for 80% of the PSU power output as a goal. As the heavy pull items in your system use the 12v rails then its 80% of this you are aiming for. So your unlikely to top 150w for the cpu (now or newer) when overclocked moderately. Next is your graphics card so say for example you choose a HD6950 which is rated at 200w, I always budget in for 2 as I may well add one as crossfire in the future. Next I add 50w for other bits like mobo usage, dvd drive and hard disks. So your usage at max will be about 600w so to stick with the 80% rule you would be looking around the 750w mark on the 12v rail(s). If your going for a lesser GPU or are only getting a mobo with one GPU slot then adjust as needed. As for a cooler it doesn't have to be fancy even something like a £13 Freezer pro rev2 is a vast improvement over the stock cooler supplied with the Q6600. Whichever one you go for just make sure it has fixings for 775 (for your Q6600) and 1155/1156 for your next CPU (if sticking with Intel) as for cleaning and fitting it will be far easier if you just watch one of the million youtube vids than me explaining it.

These are pictures of my current PC that I'm currently using to type these messages on:

http://i912.photobucket.com/albums/ac326/Qaari123/Home%20PC%20Looking%20to%20Upgrade/DSCF2693.jpg
4x 1GB RAM sticks DDR2

http://i912.photobucket.com/albums/ac326/Qaari123/Home%20PC%20Looking%20to%20Upgrade/DSCF2691.jpg
GPU - x2 ATI Radeon X1650 Crossfired

http://i912.photobucket.com/albums/ac326/Qaari123/Home%20PC%20Looking%20to%20Upgrade/DSCF2690.jpg
Stock CPU Cooler
http://i912.photobucket.com/albums/ac326/Qaari123/Home%20PC%20Looking%20to%20Upgrade/DSCF2685.jpg

http://i912.photobucket.com/albums/ac326/Qaari123/Home%20PC%20Looking%20to%20Upgrade/DSCF2682.jpg

Edited by: "Qaari" 26th Nov 2011
My current PSU:
http://i912.photobucket.com/albums/ac326/Qaari123/Home%20PC%20Looking%20to%20Upgrade/DSCF2681.jpg

http://i912.photobucket.com/albums/ac326/Qaari123/Home%20PC%20Looking%20to%20Upgrade/DSCF2679.jpg

RAM Problem in Control Panel showing 2.62GB usable....
http://i912.photobucket.com/albums/ac326/Qaari123/Home%20PC%20Looking%20to%20Upgrade/Ramproblem.jpg

Edited by: "Qaari" 26th Nov 2011
dcx_badass

Unless you're overclocking don't bother getting a new cooler, waste of … Unless you're overclocking don't bother getting a new cooler, waste of time and money.For the PSU use this: http://www.thermaltake.outervision.com/It's beyond a joke how OTT people go, 95% of people will never need a 750w. OP will be fine with a 600w easily.

He want more performance from his system and as he has a CPU that can overclock as well as a mobo that can then a cheap cooler makes sense.

I never said it was a hard fast rule but it's what I work to. Yes I could probably tighten it down a little as psu's have better protection than ever before. I just used the calculator and it came out to 528w on 90% load + the 20% it recommends if you want to keep your psu from degrading in a year and were at 634w but with scope for a few upgrades and I like my peak lower I'm not a huge way off.
No you are correct alot less than 5% of people will need a 750w PSU but then not many people run a overclocked quad core cpu and crossfired HG6950's.
GAVINLEWISHUKD

He want more performance from his system and as he has a CPU that can … He want more performance from his system and as he has a CPU that can overclock as well as a mobo that can then a cheap cooler makes sense. I never said it was a hard fast rule but it's what I work to. Yes I could probably tighten it down a little as psu's have better protection than ever before. I just used the calculator and it came out to 528w on 90% load + the 20% it recommends if you want to keep your psu from degrading in a year and were at 634w but with scope for a few upgrades and I like my peak lower I'm not a huge way off. No you are correct alot less than 5% of people will need a 750w PSU but then not many people run a overclocked quad core cpu and crossfired HG6950's.

Are the pictures any help at all? Cos the PSU, GPU etc. can be upgraded obviously but I don't know what to. Can this mobo and CPU be overclocked? I didn't know that
Qaari

Are the pictures any help at all? Cos the PSU, GPU etc. can be upgraded … Are the pictures any help at all? Cos the PSU, GPU etc. can be upgraded obviously but I don't know what to. Can this mobo and CPU be overclocked? I didn't know that

Well looking at your PSU it's only rated at 22A on the 12v rail. Thats 264w. As not owned the aging x1650 but looking at a review they used a C2D extreme and a crossfired pair of card and it peaked at 266w. So yes issues are probably linked to your PSU. You need to check your mobo to see what slots you have but they look like pci-e from the pics but the x1650 was available in agp too. Yes the HD6770 is a good entry level gaming card and while being much faster than the current setup will use less power too.

As for overclocking it's pretty simple for a basic overclock but best to get your mobo manual out and read some online guides on overclocking. The Q6600 is pretty good for overclocking.

So yes I would buy a new PSU and a new GPU and overclock the Q6600. Then when funds allow get another GPU. Then in the long run you can upgrade the rest. But to be fair in games the HD6670 will be more limiting than the overclocked Q6600. The top GPU's tend to need top cpu's. When using lower GPU's it matters less. In some games using a GTX460 in my 2500k system is barely any faster than in my overclocked E5800 system because the GPU is the limiting factor.
I though it would the PSU. What do you think would be a suitable one to put in and replace with. I mean, a make and model number. Same with graphics card... I'm 100% sure the slots are PCI-E and not AGP. I'll have a look at overclocking when I get the new PSU but I thought the bottleneck would've been my CPU really...What GPU would you recommend then instead as I didn't realise the HD6670 was "entry level" :\
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants