Best place to buy ring?

Found 5th Jul
im looking at buying a daimond ring, i have researched clarities, carrots, cut etc. the prices are all over the place and I am wondering where I can get the best bang for buck.
Community Updates
AskAccessories
20 Comments
Hatton gardens in London or jewellery quarter in birmingham
I bought my fiance her engagement ring last year from Diamonds Factory

You can also visit their showroom and choose the ring from there.

Their prices were really competitive and of course a lot cheaper than high street shops.
Honestly I wouldn't bother too much about all that. The vast majority have flaws that can only be seen on very close inspection by a good eye and you'd need an expert to notice a colour difference in almost any.
Just pick one you think she'll like the design of with a decent size. Personally I think your better off spending the extra on a higher quality metal, platinum/palladium over white gold or a higher carrot yellow gold for example.
Cash converters obviously
ow meny carrot daimond?
I've not yet used them myself but I've been looking lately and glamira.co.uk seem good and have good trustpilot reviews.

Lets you customise metals, width, thickness etc

Edit: fake reviews, see below
Edited by: "Yenyoc" 5th Jul
You all wandering about with veg on your fingers?

Carat

Psychobitchfromhell has the correct answer, although the name is worrying
mas991 m ago

You all wandering about with veg on your fingers?CaratPsychobitchfromhell …You all wandering about with veg on your fingers?CaratPsychobitchfromhell has the correct answer, although the name is worrying

I'm a sweetie really.
Yenyoc1 h, 10 m ago

I've not yet used them myself but I've been looking lately and …I've not yet used them myself but I've been looking lately and https://www.glamira.co.uk seem good and have good trustpilot reviews.Lets you customise metals, width, thickness etc

being nosey, but up for buying the Mrs a ring, tried to check out Glamira on Trustpilot, came up as not being able to open as a corruption had occurred, so I checked out another site for reviews, seems these guys are a little suspect to spend a fair amount of money with them - weddingwire.com/rev…tml
goldkipper36 m ago

being nosey, but up for buying the Mrs a ring, tried to check out Glamira …being nosey, but up for buying the Mrs a ring, tried to check out Glamira on Trustpilot, came up as not being able to open as a corruption had occurred, so I checked out another site for reviews, seems these guys are a little suspect to spend a fair amount of money with them - https://www.weddingwire.com/reviews/glamira-hialeah/15db597d413862f8.html

Thanks for the heads up, just rechecked trustpilot and got the same message, wasn't there a few days ago!

Will definitely rethink my order.
Yenyoc1 h, 16 m ago

Thanks for the heads up, just rechecked trustpilot and got the same …Thanks for the heads up, just rechecked trustpilot and got the same message, wasn't there a few days ago!Will definitely rethink my order.

i love the look of some of the designs on glamira but I don't think I'd spend a substantial sum on something I couldn't see first hand
sounds a good excuse to fly out to Russia to me
If buying a diamond ensure it's certified. That will be clarity, colour, flaws and size (as well as cut). Anything else lends itself to abuse from supplier. Better 'deals' are supposedly achieved bypassing certification but you are then wide open to being mis-sold.

Even a receipt from a jeweller stating the diamond is x carat (you're pretty safe on this one), a certain brightness, and a certain clarity is meaningless by comparison to a certified diamond. Any decent supplier shouldn't need to be asked, but should offer it, and any insurance claims should be a breeze with the certification.

The person that mentions spending money on precious metal is incorrect. The moment you walk out of the shop the value of that metal is srcap value.

As already mentioned, Hatton Garden is a good place to start, and 2nd hand makes a lot of sense (again a breeze with a certified diamond).
Edited by: "OllieSt" 6th Jul
A lucky bag
Thanks, very useful. Is it better to buy a higher carrot at lower clarity and colour or larger carrot? What is the most expensive aspect of a daimond?
smellyonion3 h, 47 m ago

Thanks, very useful. Is it better to buy a higher carrot at lower clarity …Thanks, very useful. Is it better to buy a higher carrot at lower clarity and colour or larger carrot? What is the most expensive aspect of a daimond?

What is the purpose of the ring? Getting over 1 carat costs a little more than it should do because it's a milestone for engagement rings.

It depends who you are. Colour and clarity for me, as you can buy a 5 carat piece of glass for £50

Nearly all would not be able to contemplate FL-IF as it's considered flawless
VVS1 - VVS2 are expensive
VS1 - VS2 is going to be what you may see in upmarket high street stores
SI1 - SI2/I1-I1 - I3 is what the vast majority of high street stores will be selling

34262279-coejy.jpg
Yes, it's an engagement ring. I was thinking around 0.6 - 0.7 I wanted one classic stone like a solitaire. I would imagine that the stone would look bigger than a spread design? I've also noticed that the size doesn't increase proportionally. So a 1 carrot is not 50% bigger than a 0.6. it's like 20% bigger...
Edited by: "smellyonion" 6th Jul
smellyonion10 m ago

Yes, it's an engagement ring. I was thinking around 0.6 - 0.7 I wanted one …Yes, it's an engagement ring. I was thinking around 0.6 - 0.7 I wanted one classic stone like a solitaire. I would imagine that the stone would look bigger than a spread design? I've also noticed that the size doesn't increase proportionally. So a 1 carrot is not 50% bigger than a 0.6. it's like 20% bigger...

This might help you get some kind of perspective, beyond that it's down to what you think. Personally I would always chase quality over quantity, but your future Mrs. may not be too impressed if that was taken to the nth degree within a budget.
choose the exact diamond at blue nile. Used their service 6 years ago, missus very happy with the result
smellyonion8 h, 4 m ago

Yes, it's an engagement ring. I was thinking around 0.6 - 0.7 I wanted one …Yes, it's an engagement ring. I was thinking around 0.6 - 0.7 I wanted one classic stone like a solitaire. I would imagine that the stone would look bigger than a spread design? I've also noticed that the size doesn't increase proportionally. So a 1 carrot is not 50% bigger than a 0.6. it's like 20% bigger...

Carat is a weight/volume measurement and people's appreciation of size generally is based on the width or height of something rather than it's volume.

An object of the same shape that's twice the volume is around around 25% larger in each dimension. Or an 18.5% increase from 0.6 to 1 carats. Volume increases with the cube of the dimensions. So if you have an object and double each dimension it has eight times the volume and weight.

Looking around it appears that depth for each cut of diamond remains proportional as the stones get bigger (but does vary slightly between stones of the same cut) so if you want a 50% wider diamond you need 3.375x the carats (1.5x cubed)

This page suggests that the elongated cuts look biggest for a given weight.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants