best place to buy tyre pressure gauge.

Found 8th Aug 2017
Hi was wanting to buy a tyre pressure gauge to keep in the car for emergency use. Can anyone recommend what i should buy and where from? Something of good quality and reasonable price. Thanks
Community Updates
Ask
16 Comments
Not entirely sure what help a tyre pressure guage would be in an emergency, however, Halfords springs to mind.
Exactly, how would a tyre pressure gauge help in an emergency?

Or even, a pump for that matter.
Pandamansays7 h, 57 m ago

Not entirely sure what help a tyre pressure guage would be in an …Not entirely sure what help a tyre pressure guage would be in an emergency, however, Halfords springs to mind.

Incase of a flat tyre. And you cant drive to a service station. What else could it possibly be used for????
chocci1 h, 51 m ago

Exactly, how would a tyre pressure gauge help in an emergency? Or even, a …Exactly, how would a tyre pressure gauge help in an emergency? Or even, a pump for that matter.

Well incase you get a flat tyre. That kind of emergency. Cant really see any other use of a pressure gauge in the car.
bingbing15 h, 26 m ago

Well incase you get a flat tyre. That kind of emergency. Cant really see …Well incase you get a flat tyre. That kind of emergency. Cant really see any other use of a pressure gauge in the car.

did you notice that there is that black/silver metal disc with holes in the middle, covered in black rubber outer ring in your car boot compartment (usually under the carpet)?

PS> OP your reasons to buy pressure guage is like the dumbest explanation ive seen
Edited by: "mattsk" 9th Aug 2017
I think you mean pump (or compressor)??

You can get a simple compressor for £5-£7 which plugs into the car's 12V power socket from places like Home Bargains, B&M.
Funny old world, I actually wished I'd had one with me yesterday. Noticed that the rear tyre was looking a bit flat after filling up with fuel. Used the service station airpump to confirm only 12psi in the tyre. (ultra low profiles so not that obvious visually). Clearly a slow puncture, but how slow! Pumped the tyre up, set off to the local tyrefitters slowly and hoped for the best. No spare fitted.
If I'd had a little tyre pressure gauge in the car I could have stopped after a couple of miles, rechecked the pressure and made a judgement on how bad the leak was.
Now this wasn't crucial yesterday, when all the shops are open, but on a Sunday night could have been the difference between getting home and a long wait for the RAC.

Years ago, a Dunlop tyre pressure guage was standard part of the tool kit on Jaguars.
Edited by: "airbus330" 9th Aug 2017
airbus33019 m ago

Funny old world, I actually wished I'd had one with me yesterday. Noticed …Funny old world, I actually wished I'd had one with me yesterday. Noticed that the rear tyre was looking a bit flat after filling up with fuel. Used the service station airpump to confirm only 12psi in the tyre. (ultra low profiles so not that obvious visually). Clearly a slow puncture, but how slow! Pumped the tyre up, set off to the local tyrefitters slowly and hoped for the best. No spare fitted.If I'd had a little tyre pressure gauge in the car I could have stopped after a couple of miles, rechecked the pressure and made a judgement on how bad the leak was.Now this wasn't crucial yesterday, when all the shops are open, but on a Sunday night could have been the difference between getting home and a long wait for the RAC.Years ago, a Dunlop tyre pressure guage was standard part of the tool kit on Jaguars.

Wanting one for situations exactly like yourself. You never know when you might need it.
If you buy yourself a foot pump like;

halfords.com/wor…uge

for £12.99, it has a pressure gauge attached , then you can pump your tyres too, rather than just checking to see if they are flat. A pressure gauge on its own is fairly useless, but if you really just want a device to tell you your tyres are flat , then halfords do one for £9.99 as well.
Edited by: "tinkerbellian" 9th Aug 2017
Checking Tyre pressures (and Tyre condition) should be part of your weekly maintenance checks, ie done when your checking Oil level, Coolant Level, Windscreen wash etc, outside the comfort of your own Home, not broken down somewhere miles from anywhere.

Whilst there handy, not sure a Tyre compressor (or in your case a Gauge) is going to get you out of trouble in an Emergency when you have a flat due to a puncture, but hey, what do I know, cant remember the last time I broke down.
bingbing12 h, 11 m ago

Incase of a flat tyre. And you cant drive to a service station. What else …Incase of a flat tyre. And you cant drive to a service station. What else could it possibly be used for????

A flat tyre is flat, by the very nature of it. Knowing exactly how flat that it is doesn't really help.
It's a spare tyre you need, because in an emergency, pumping up a tyre with a puncture is pointless. There are sealant sprays available which seal punctures, if you don't have a spare, but i believe their effectiveness is questionable.
If you would like a tyre pump for general maintenance, then there are plenty available. I use one from Home Bargains which was £3.99 and plugs in to your cigarette lighter. Works well enough.
bingbing15 h, 8 m ago

Incase of a flat tyre. And you cant drive to a service station. What else …Incase of a flat tyre. And you cant drive to a service station. What else could it possibly be used for????

A pressure gauge does not allow tyre inflation
31660129-GiLEX.jpgpressure gauge for measuring pressure in the tyre, not so handy for flat tyre emergency
Edited by: "ding" 10th Aug 2017
31660143-1dlNt.jpgair compressor for putting air into a tyre handy for flat tyre emergency
Which one do you mean OP
ding12 h, 9 m ago

Which one do you mean OP

Air compressor. Think iv confused myself and everyone on here by saying u need a pressure gauge lol. Sorry. My mistake!
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants