Best place to buy tyres online?

Posted 23rd Sep
Looking at buying new tyres and they appear much cheaper online, however, never bought tyres online before and reviews for almost every company appear fraught with negative experiences.

Complaints range from wrong tyre makes/sizes to used tyres being sent, some deliveries taking much longer than stated and some deliveries never arriving at all. Also masses of reports of almost every online tyre company having horrendous customer service.

Question is; are they better avoided or are there some out there that can be trusted and maybe even recommended?

If anyone has experience with buying tyres online maybe post something here that the rest of us might get a better idea of the whole buying tyres online experience. Thanks.
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

15 Comments
romas.cacurinas23/09/2019 10:37

https://www.oponeo.co.uk

Hi Romas, have you used Oponeo before, and what was your experience of them, i.e. good price, delivered on time, etc?
tryn2help23/09/2019 10:41

Hi Romas, have you used Oponeo before, and what was your experience of …Hi Romas, have you used Oponeo before, and what was your experience of them, i.e. good price, delivered on time, etc?

From my personal expierence bought couple of times, never had an issue, been posted by dpd so can always track your tyres online, quick delivery. To be in safe hands just pay with paypal.
romas.cacurinas23/09/2019 10:47

From my personal expierence bought couple of times, never had an issue, …From my personal expierence bought couple of times, never had an issue, been posted by dpd so can always track your tyres online, quick delivery. To be in safe hands just pay with paypal.

Thanks Romas.
Hadn't actually thought of payment methods being problematic, although, on reflection, some of the reviewers complaints about online tyre buying did actually mention they were having problems with refunds (don't recall exactly which companies each complaint referred to), most of the bad reviews seemed to be in regard to delivery times not being met, missing tyres, wrong makes/sizes etc, rather than monetary problems.

Thanks for your input.

I'm hoping enough people post their experiences to give hotukdealers a better informed idea of where best to buy tyres online - and of course, where not to buy.
Thanks again.
I looked at using oponeo, but on top of that price you have to pay a local fitter to fit them for you to. So the price you see online is unfitted from my knowledge.
Liam_18823/09/2019 11:19

I looked at using oponeo, but on top of that price you have to pay a local …I looked at using oponeo, but on top of that price you have to pay a local fitter to fit them for you to. So the price you see online is unfitted from my knowledge.

^ This is the main issue unless you're friendly with a local garage. I paid £48 (so £12 a corner) the last time I had four fitted but in fairness to the garage, I got a VAT invoice, they carefully put my old wheels back inside the car for me too (I had 4 x new tyres and 4 x new alloys), and they tightened the wheels back onto the car using a torque wrench, rather than a windy gun.

I got those tyres using an eBay 20% off code so I was still on for quite a big saving, but most of the time I don't think it works out much cheaper. A local chain did offer to do it for £30 to go into their tea fund, which I'd have happily done but it's miles away and would have to have tried to find a quiet time to go in.

National have an online page that can be cheaper tyre-shopper.co.uk/
Liam_18823/09/2019 11:19

I looked at using oponeo, but on top of that price you have to pay a local …I looked at using oponeo, but on top of that price you have to pay a local fitter to fit them for you to. So the price you see online is unfitted from my knowledge.

Bossworld23/09/2019 11:24

^ This is the main issue unless you're friendly with a local garage. I …^ This is the main issue unless you're friendly with a local garage. I paid £48 (so £12 a corner) the last time I had four fitted but in fairness to the garage, I got a VAT invoice, they carefully put my old wheels back inside the car for me too (I had 4 x new tyres and 4 x new alloys), and they tightened the wheels back onto the car using a torque wrench, rather than a windy gun.I got those tyres using an eBay 20% off code so I was still on for quite a big saving, but most of the time I don't think it works out much cheaper. A local chain did offer to do it for £30 to go into their tea fund, which I'd have happily done but it's miles away and would have to have tried to find a quiet time to go in.National have an online page that can be cheaper https://www.tyre-shopper.co.uk/

Fitting the tyres does seem to be a major problem for some people.

I've noticed some online tyre companies do offer fitting via 'associates' but there's as many bad reviews on that matter as other matters, i.e.charging more than stated, claiming tyres were not delivered etc.

Such things only add to the negatives of buying online.

Either online tyre companies have to up their game if they want our custom or some already have and we're just not hearing about them.

Come on peeps, pile in with personal experiences and recommendations of where to buy and where not to buy. Let's see if we can get a bigger clearer picture that'll help us get the best quality at the best price.
I've used Blackcircles a handful of times. The last two times I used them they got in touch to tell me the date & time they had offered me was not available - and the option was wait another 3 days for an appointment at an inconvenient time or take it elsewhere. The time before that they failed to deliver the tyres to the garage specified in time.

Since then I've used Asda tyres twice and so far so good - tyres were cheaper than Black Circles, there were more fitters in my area & everything went to plan.
awjh23/09/2019 13:11

I've used Blackcircles a handful of times. The last two times I used them …I've used Blackcircles a handful of times. The last two times I used them they got in touch to tell me the date & time they had offered me was not available - and the option was wait another 3 days for an appointment at an inconvenient time or take it elsewhere. The time before that they failed to deliver the tyres to the garage specified in time. Since then I've used Asda tyres twice and so far so good - tyres were cheaper than Black Circles, there were more fitters in my area & everything went to plan.

Thanks AWJH, that's the sort of info I'm looking for to help build up a bigger picture.
I would imagine ASDA would not want to sully their reputation and would therefore make more of an effort than the less well known operatives. People might feel a lot safer shopping with them.
awjh23/09/2019 13:11

I've used Blackcircles a handful of times. The last two times I used them …I've used Blackcircles a handful of times. The last two times I used them they got in touch to tell me the date & time they had offered me was not available - and the option was wait another 3 days for an appointment at an inconvenient time or take it elsewhere. The time before that they failed to deliver the tyres to the garage specified in time. Since then I've used Asda tyres twice and so far so good - tyres were cheaper than Black Circles, there were more fitters in my area & everything went to plan.

I guess it depends on what brand and size the tyres are as mine are more expensive on Asda tires than they were on Black Circles.

I've had mixed results with Black Circles tbh. The last one was the worst yet. My locking nut was left on the car, when it was parked outside the garage when it was done. Totally vexed me. ANYONE could just walk up and rob it. Then they lost the hub caps for my car. I've had to get some replacement caps. I don't mind that but how hard can it be to replace a tyre on a rim and fill it up with the correct amount of air? Am I being a snob and asking too much for someone to do the job I'm paying them for and to treat my car with some respect?

First occasion, I went to see a garage up in Derby and that was pretty good tbh. Aside from losing hub cap, no complaints at all.
Ive used oponeo, mytyres and tyreleader all have had good pricing and delivery.
The issue I find is fitting.
When I need new tyres Im going to use ATS euromaster for an oen brand tyre @ £47.99 and if booked at the right time they have 10% off
HILO, GREEN PLUS, 215 / 50 R17 95 W.

atseuromaster.co.uk/con…613

State what size and brand you want.
People on here might find you a grat deal.
tryn2help23/09/2019 13:23

...I would imagine ASDA would not want to sully their reputation and would …...I would imagine ASDA would not want to sully their reputation and would therefore make more of an effort than the less well known operatives. People might feel a lot safer shopping with them.

Asda Tyres is simply re-badged Colewood Automotive Ltd (possible progression from defunct Boco Tyres Ltd), same as RAC Tyres. If you want a really prolific white label option consider Silkmoth Ltd, they handle hundreds of websites for local independent tyre supply&fit operations, each with its own charging structure.
Not sure how you can find your local white label Silkmoth independent(s), maybe try this google search prefixed with your town name.
I've bought 4 new tyres from Amazon for my car and 4 new tyres from ebay for my son's car. Had no problems at all getting them fitted at my local garage
Edited by: "summerof76" 24th Sep
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants