Best place to get a 3ds xl

Posted 15th Jan
Can’t find any in stock for a reasonable price
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

4 Comments
Yeah I had trouble with this too, brand new ones sky rocketed to £300. What I did for one of mine is got it through CeX, they had a limited edition one at a great price and looks brand new, was £95. Recently got another one, there wasn’t any good stock available in my local CeX’s (good idea to check) and went through eBay. Even though I asked many questions and covered everything I was very unlucky and had to return 4 until I finally found one that didn’t actually have a fault with it. The first one was stated as basically brand new and no scratches on both screens, but when it arrived it had a bitten stylus and deep scratches on the touch screen so it felt rough! I have a checklist that I can send you in a bit of what to look for.
The only place I know of is ao.com and it's about £200
jco8316/01/2020 02:42

The only place I know of is ao.com and it's about £200

That’s not bad for a brand new one, and those have a good chance of IPS displays.
Sorry for the late reply, was very busy, tried to also get my eBay messages, however I forgot the damn password and it wasn’t my account so I’ll just construct the checklist here:

1. IMPORTANT: Make sure it’s an actual ‘New’ 3DS XL, and not the previous model, you can tell the different by the C-Stick on the interior and well as additional ZL + ZR shoulder buttons that are beside the usual L + R. The ‘New’ models are much faster and have superior boot times and support a couple more games, whilst having much better 3D.

2. Make sure both screens are scratch free (use flashlight to see hairline scratches) if they are some but they’re not noticeable when the screen is on, e.g. no rainbow effect then it’s fine.

3. Make sure the stylus is not chewed and that the stylus glides smoothly over the touch screen.

4. Of course buttons, make sure they all feel tactile, and responsive.

5. Now a weird one, check to make sure the bottom screen is straight, you can tell from the black perimeter, one of the ones I receive from eBay was immaculate but the screen was bent and you could see a lot of light bleed from looking at an angle.

6. Now this is probably not that important but there are differentiating levels of quality on the displays of the New 3DS XL, some are much better than others, the worst TN’s are still just as good as a 2DS XL, but the good IPS have far better contrast and viewing angles in case your were off axis a bit. This is something that is not important anyway but something to bare in mind as you may be looking around and noticing the difference between some displays, but if you did spot an IPS, you would know by looking at an extreme angle (left and right, top and bottom) with the screen on and the colours shouldn’t wash out by much.

That’s pretty much everything you need in order to get a used one, in terms of new it’s a lot less hassle but generally speaking near double the price.

I apologise if I missed any details as I’m very tired, but hope to have informed you in case you were looking at buying a used one from CeX, or what questions to ask in case of eBay, but those are my recommended if you don’t want to fork out a lot more.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants