Best place to get a good exchange rate for Euros?

Found 1st May 2015
I'll be going on holiday on Monday to Spain and have never done this before. What would people suggest?

Shared Via The HUKD App For Android.
Community Updates
Ask
21 Comments
I always find Tesco very competitive they even price match to other local place. Also if you are buying £500 the give you £5 extra for free. M&S also very good and your local cheque shops always have a good exchange to.
I second tesco. Had to get some the last bank holiday and ordered online- they were the best at the time but beggars can't be choosers as I did leave it v v late. However, would much rather have preferred to pay cash in person cos the fees charged by credit card are silly even though the rate offered online is slightly better than kiosk .. Evens out anyway. At the counter, I was told they always tons of euro in stock so I wish I hadn't done online ordering..
samwants2save

I second tesco. Had to get some the last bank holiday and ordered online- … I second tesco. Had to get some the last bank holiday and ordered online- they were the best at the time but beggars can't be choosers as I did leave it v v late. However, would much rather have preferred to pay cash in person cos the fees charged by credit card are silly even though the rate offered online is slightly better than kiosk .. Evens out anyway. At the counter, I was told they always tons of euro in stock so I wish I hadn't done online ordering..

If you pay with Tesco credit card no charge and you get points too. Every little helps!
exchange when you get there - always a better rate abroad than you get here.

best though is an atm withdrawal abroad using halifax clarity card
Thank you very much everyone, this has helped immensely!!
chocci

exchange when you get there - always a better rate abroad than you get … exchange when you get there - always a better rate abroad than you get here.best though is an atm withdrawal abroad using halifax clarity card

Might be a silly question but do you mean when I'm actually in Spain or at the airport as I've heard you can get Euros there? If you meant when I'm in Spain, how would you normally go about that?
Screamadelic

Might be a silly question but do you mean when I'm actually in Spain or … Might be a silly question but do you mean when I'm actually in Spain or at the airport as I've heard you can get Euros there? If you meant when I'm in Spain, how would you normally go about that?

I exchange in the banks abroad - always a better rate than what you can get here

but nothing beats cash withdrawls from an atm aborad using a halifax clarity card (about 3-5% better than anything you can get in the UK)
chocci

I exchange in the banks abroad - always a better rate than what you can … I exchange in the banks abroad - always a better rate than what you can get herebut nothing beats cash withdrawls from an atm aborad using a halifax clarity card (about 3-5% better than anything you can get in the UK)

Ahh thanks! Is it best to take cash and covert it there or use a card (I only have a debit card at the moment) or does it vary from which bank you go to? I'll see if I can grab that card but I'm thinking I've left it too late to be honest as I jet out on bank holiday Monday..
Are there no charges at all for withdrawing cash with the Halifax card? I've always used the clarity card as my 'foreign credit card' but also taken a preloaded foreign currency card to withdraw cash thinking that the clarity card charged for cash withdrawals as is the case with the average uk credit card. If the Halifax is charge free for cash withdrawals I can ditch my second card. Thanks
Edited by: "Dogeared" 2nd May 2015
Meant to address this comment to Chocci
trade union is the best. i got mine 1.35 and the euro has dropped now so ye
Dogeared

Are there no charges at all for withdrawing cash with the Halifax card? … Are there no charges at all for withdrawing cash with the Halifax card? I've always used the clarity card as my 'foreign credit card' but also taken a preloaded foreign currency card to withdraw cash thinking that the clarity card charged for cash withdrawals as is the case with the average uk credit card. If the Halifax is charge free for cash withdrawals I can ditch my second card. Thanks

No charges but interest is charged from the day you withdraw. We paid our when we got back was about £2 interest but you can log onto your account and pay off straight away if you want
sherbolton

No charges but interest is charged from the day you withdraw. We paid our … No charges but interest is charged from the day you withdraw. We paid our when we got back was about £2 interest but you can log onto your account and pay off straight away if you want

Thanks for that confirmation, I thought that was the case so for me it's better to take a preloaded cash card as well as the Halifax Clarity.
I always find M&s good
Dogeared

Thanks for that confirmation, I thought that was the case so for me it's … Thanks for that confirmation, I thought that was the case so for me it's better to take a preloaded cash card as well as the Halifax Clarity.

No, just use the Halifax card
chocci

No, just use the Halifax card

Thanks but think prepaid, topping up en route online, may suit my situation best to avoid the interest on cash withdrawals. I often travel for several weeks/months and although I use Halifax as much as poss for fuel/tolls etc I also require a fair bit of cash so may lose out on interest charges. Thanks for the reply anyway
Dogeared

Thanks but think prepaid, topping up en route online, may suit my … Thanks but think prepaid, topping up en route online, may suit my situation best to avoid the interest on cash withdrawals. I often travel for several weeks/months and although I use Halifax as much as poss for fuel/tolls etc I also require a fair bit of cash so may lose out on interest charges. Thanks for the reply anyway

I just pay it off within a day of withdrawal via online transfer. Interest for a £500 withdrawal was 7p Got an extra £10 of euros compared to post office / tesco / prepaid cards
chocci

I just pay it off within a day of withdrawal via online transfer. … I just pay it off within a day of withdrawal via online transfer. Interest for a £500 withdrawal was 7p Got an extra £10 of euros compared to post office / tesco / prepaid cards

Hmm... given me something to think about there because the interest is more than cancelled out by the enhanced exchange rate you're getting using the Halifax card. I've been using the UKash prepaid euro card which I think gives the best prepaid rates. Don't really like faffing about doing too much online banking when I'm out and about due to lack of secure WiFi but now I know I have that option. Thanks.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants