Best place to get an Eye Test ?

Posted 13th Sep
Hi,

There is currently offers running for a free eye test.

Which one would you say is better ?

In depth checking ?

I have only tried Specsavers they are good but I have heard boots is way better ?

That the only 2 that are currently offering a free eye test for the next month or so I believe

Any recommendation please ?
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

15 Comments
Or live in Scotland - NHS eye tests are free everywhere.
Been going to the smae boots for 5 years now.
Even had a free hearing test last year to see if all was ok.
They are very good, and dont force you into glasses like specsavers did to my.
It depends totally on the person doing it.
specsavers are franchises, dont know about boots - but my worst opticians experience was at boots. They gave me contacts that caused cysts under my eyelids and then insisted that i just needed to get used to them. The surgeon that ended up removing the cysts was most unimpressed.
Have you been to any independents, surprising a good number of them offer a free test.
mas9913/09/2019 14:26

It depends totally on the person doing it.specsavers are franchises, dont …It depends totally on the person doing it.specsavers are franchises, dont know about boots - but my worst opticians experience was at boots. They gave me contacts that caused cysts under my eyelids and then insisted that i just needed to get used to them. The surgeon that ended up removing the cysts was most unimpressed.

My wife went to boots once cause they had the frames she wanted but got her optical distance wrong 3 times, she said it was like being in a goldfish bowl.
Edited by: "Donkii" 13th Sep
Scotland, eye tests are FREE
support your local independent optician
they are much more likely to appreciate your business
isnQ2213/09/2019 14:46

Scotland, eye tests are FREE

Club tropicana drinks are free!
I used a free eye test voucher in August at Specsavers & I felt the examination was thorough. They’ve certainly got the eye test procedure down to a fine art as it was very slick, almost like a production line. I didn’t need a prescription so no hard sell at the end, if there is any.
Specsavers gave my son glasses, he wore them for years then one day he was sent to the hospital due to a new condition he had, they tested his eyes and said he doesn't need glasses. Anywhere can be rubbish
Mark_Hickman13/09/2019 22:00

Specsavers gave my son glasses, he wore them for years then one day he was …Specsavers gave my son glasses, he wore them for years then one day he was sent to the hospital due to a new condition he had, they tested his eyes and said he doesn't need glasses. Anywhere can be rubbish

...or the glasses he had corrected his defective eyesight.

Depending on your son's age (typically under seven years old), his eyesight may have corrected itself anyway.
fanpages13/09/2019 22:13

...or the glasses he had corrected his defective eyesight.Depending on …...or the glasses he had corrected his defective eyesight.Depending on your son's age (typically under seven years old), his eyesight may have corrected itself anyway.

No, he was at a yearly check up and got prescribed new glasses the day he was referred to the childrens hospital by specsavers because they noticed something wrong with his eye.
Went to the hospital and they said he shouldn't have glasses and they will damage his eye sight
Mark_Hickman13/09/2019 22:00

Specsavers gave my son glasses, he wore them for years then one day he was …Specsavers gave my son glasses, he wore them for years then one day he was sent to the hospital due to a new condition he had, they tested his eyes and said he doesn't need glasses. Anywhere can be rubbish

fanpages13/09/2019 22:13

...or the glasses he had corrected his defective eyesight.Depending on …...or the glasses he had corrected his defective eyesight.Depending on your son's age (typically under seven years old), his eyesight may have corrected itself anyway.

Mark_Hickman13/09/2019 22:18

No, he was at a yearly check up and got prescribed new glasses the day he …No, he was at a yearly check up and got prescribed new glasses the day he was referred to the childrens hospital by specsavers because they noticed something wrong with his eye.Went to the hospital and they said he shouldn't have glasses and they will damage his eye sight

I thought you said he wore them for years (plural). Doesn't sound like they did damage his eyes then.

Well done to Specsavers for referring your son in any respect.
fanpages13/09/2019 22:28

I thought you said he wore them for years (plural). Doesn't sound like …I thought you said he wore them for years (plural). Doesn't sound like they did damage his eyes then.Well done to Specsavers for referring your son in any respect.

He did wear them for years but obviously had yearly check ups where they would do another eye test and prescribe new glasses and thats when they referred him to the hospital.
Yes im grateful they referred him but any one registered as an optician should be able to identify a serious issue like uveitis and correctly test someone's vision, unfortunately they couldn't do the latter, hospital said they are probably prescribing many young children glasses with weak lenses that dont need them to make money. If that was the case its unbelievable but we will never know
Mark_Hickman13/09/2019 22:38

He did wear them for years but obviously had yearly check ups where they …He did wear them for years but obviously had yearly check ups where they would do another eye test and prescribe new glasses and thats when they referred him to the hospital.Yes im grateful they referred him but any one registered as an optician should be able to identify a serious issue like uveitis and correctly test someone's vision, unfortunately they couldn't do the latter, hospital said they are probably prescribing many young children glasses with weak lenses that dont need them to make money. If that was the case its unbelievable but we will never know

Ah... he wasn't wearing the same glasses (i.e. using the same lenses) for years. He was using a different prescription over those years.

Now you've relayed more information it makes (more) sense.

No, we'll never know... unless you had asked them at the time.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants