Groups

Best place to get honest advice/information on mobile phones ?.

I was set on getting a laptop as my next toy or tech. Thinking that I may just upgrade my tower so a mobile is next.

I currently have a Nokia 5800. Its a good phone but suffers from lag and due to the software I cant get many mainstream free apps etc. I have been looking over a few phones but as with laptops I feel so lost.

Is there a purpose site/forum/area where I can ask for opinions and comparative information ?. I have some basic needs but as always want the best bang for my buck.
    I feel bad that I am always asking on the net and not contributing

19 Comments

Its hard to get impartial advice these days as everyone seems to favour certain brands. Whats the basic needs you speak of? And whats your price range? Sure some of the members here can help out

Edit- forgot about mobot.net, hukd's new mobile phone site, might want to check that out.
    Edited by: "callum84" 27th Jan 2011

Here X)

Original Poster

Want/need a phone that - Can play MP3's, have wifi, web browser that can use most sites/have good set of plug-ins, touch screen, large-ish screen, access to all these free apps, play a game like Angry birds without much issue.
    Budget is tied to either a very good and cheap contract (£20 month) or £200 from the shop direct group. I am not a heavy user of the actual phone part as I use it as a in emergency phone. I have the landline for talking. I want this as an all in one device to have for most situations.

I'm not expecting an excellent phone for my money but something that is not bare minimum. I played on a Samsung Galaxy S yesterday and that is amazing. Something like that but cheaper, I know not to expect the speed the Galaxy has.

I have been looking at the HTC Wildfire but reviews tend to always mention the better desire and not give the Wildfire a chance. Is it a good enough phone ?.
    What about all this talk I see about rom's and jailbreaking ? Can I get a phone and fix it to be better ?.

The Wildfire might be a good choice. Try going into Carphone Warehouse - they had one which you could play with last time I went in. That was at Westfield, London though so I'm not sure if it will be case in all stores..

The Desire is better but its also a lot more. The only thing the Wildfire lacks is a large screen - consider whether it will be big enough and if not, go with the Desire.

An iPhone would also do what you want (Angry Birds, mp3, wifi, etc) but they're a bit more costly. You'd have to get an older model second hand on your budget.

As for ROMs and jailbreaking... well jailbreaking is so you can install apps onto the iPhone which haven't been sourced from the app store (i.e. 'illegally' downloaded from the internet lol) and you can play around with it more -- edit things Apple didn't want you to be able to edit. Like the ringtone (if i remember correctly!!)
    Custom ROMs are modified firmware, often to remove network branding or just to improve performance... they're common on Android handsets

Edited by: "oldmanhouse" 27th Jan 2011

I may as well be the first and recommend the orange san francisco. There's tonnes of threads on here about it.

ants97

I may as well be the first and recommend the orange san francisco. … I may as well be the first and recommend the orange san francisco. There's tonnes of threads on here about it.

Seconded, definitely. Having played with an iPhone 4, an HTC Desire standard and HD, a Galaxy S and various other smartphones, it's right up there with them in terms of functionality and user experience. My only real quibble with the San Francisco is that the Home, Menu and Back buttons are a little stiff, and as such, aren't as nice to use as HTC's touch-sensitive buttons. Other than that though, I can't find flaw in the thing, and at £120 (which makes it comparable more with the original iPhone 2G in terms of price), it's fantastic.

I have an Orange San Francisco and it's useless as an MP3 player. Even with a custom ROM with hardware acceleration and an increased heap, it's juttery and will become unlistenable after you get annoyed with it! Other that that, it's a great phone if you delete the Orange crap from it

Original Poster

I had read about the San Francisco but I also read about poor battery life. I also considered a iphone, I would love one not because of popularity with the brand but because the application support. Is the Android market as good with free apps that cover a wide range of purposes ?.
    Does the Android 2.1 matter ?, is it like XP to Vista or is it just software update.

Thanks for clarification of the roms etc. Will have a proper look into it once I decide on a phone. I always like the "hack" software to get deeper custom settings and performance.

I may try to get a play with one in my local shops (Grimsby) I normally try not to as I am rubbish when it comes to the obvious sales pitch. I just cant say NO consistently, which is why I would prefer to get online.

oldmanhouse

I have an Orange San Francisco and it's useless as an MP3 player. Even … I have an Orange San Francisco and it's useless as an MP3 player. Even with a custom ROM with hardware acceleration and an increased heap, it's juttery and will become unlistenable after you get annoyed with it! Other that that, it's a great phone if you delete the Orange crap from it

Interesting. Using the phone as an mp3 player is one of my primary concerns, so I'll have to see how it plays out. Can I ask, what's going on with yours that makes it stutter? What have you tried to fix it?

The battery life isn't great but switching off 3g and turning the brightness down on the gorgeous screen does improve it considerably.

As for the jittery mp3's I've never had this on mine at all. There's around 5 gigs of music on it and use power amp to play them and theres never been stuttering.

teraomi

I had read about the San Francisco but I also read about poor battery … I had read about the San Francisco but I also read about poor battery life. I also considered a iphone, I would love one not because of popularity with the brand but because the application support. Is the Android market as good with free apps that cover a wide range of purposes ?. Does the Android 2.1 matter ?, is it like XP to Vista or is it just software update.Thanks for clarification of the roms etc. Will have a proper look into it once I decide on a phone. I always like the "hack" software to get deeper custom settings and performance.I may try to get a play with one in my local shops (Grimsby) I normally try not to as I am rubbish when it comes to the obvious sales pitch. I just cant say NO consistently, which is why I would prefer to get [url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.very.co.uk%2Fandroid-handsets%2Fe%2Fs%2Fprice%2C1%2Fpromo%2F46400040.end]online[/url].

Regarding the Android market, yep, there's absolutely loaaaaaaaads of stuff on it, and much of it is really, really interesting. Very clever, very useful, very impressive. I think I've installed something like 60 apps so far, and it really covers so many bases. Like, Google Translate is one of the coolest things I've found yet. With it, you can press a button, speak an English phrase into your phone, and a few seconds later it will have translated it into pretty much any language you could ask for. That and, ooh, so many others. I highly recommend you search for "Android killer apps" and "iphone killer apps", and see what people recommend.

Personally btw, I did look at the iPhone app range, and I was surprised to see how bad it was. There are hundreds of thousands of apps, but there just seemed to be nothing that interested, excited, or appealed to me. Have a look, you might think different yourself, but I just found the Apple appstore apps a real let-down. They just don't seem to have the knack of enabling exciting new abilities, like the Android apps do.

Original Poster

Thanks again.I've not looked in any great detail in both markets. I just tend to see iphone plastered over most sites. Being a gamers also I tend to see iphone/ipad on the games sites. I am a cheap and fairly traditional person who tries his best not to buy a lot of "digital" items. My experience on either market would be for the free apps and possibly a very limited few must have apps.

I suppose the pros and cons for most products would vary on personnel experiences. Given my little needs what would the board recommend ?. I am fairly happy with how the wildfire looks on paper but unsure on the reality. Is there anything that has always stood out as a negative for it ?.Is there a reason why its that cheap compared to the Desire ?. i can accept that it will not have the over all speed of a pricer phone.

As my tech knowledge and hands on time is limited and my only standards are the Nokia 5800 and the Samsung Galaxy S is there a phone thats in-between ?. So long as the phone is not painfully slow like dial up internet I am happy. If the processor can handle loading websites promptly and without major stuttering, play a game like Angry Birds (my only game played so its my way to gauge performance). I can deal with it if the phone will not boot up a app straight away.

Are prices easy to predict on the android market ?. Would waiting for the summer catalogues be a better move ?. I can wait if there would be a great predicted reduction but don't want to keep delaying for the sake of a little more for the money every half year.

Original Poster

i had a good read on the wildfire ans it seems a great phone. All thats left to find is general performance and updates.
    Can a user comment on what its like day to day?.

dxx

Interesting. Using the phone as an mp3 player is one of my primary … Interesting. Using the phone as an mp3 player is one of my primary concerns, so I'll have to see how it plays out. Can I ask, what's going on with yours that makes it stutter? What have you tried to fix it?

I'm not sure what's happening with it to be honest. Others on the Modaco forum have indicated it could be down to the Android operating system itself, so maybe I'm being too quick to blame it on the SF.

A few fixes I tried were killing background apps to free up memory but that didn't seem to be a problem. As mentioned above, I enabled hardware acceleration and increased the Dalvic VM heap size (increased the amount of RAM applications have access to) but neither helped. I tried multiple different MP3 player apps.. different ones were better than others and I found Winamp to be the most usable.

I noticed the problem occurred most often (but not exclusively when) data was being transferred.. i.e. when on the internet. However I must stress it was also a persistent problem when just playing music and doing nothing else.

Oh yeah and I also took the drastic measure of flashing a completely new ROM. I went from Modaco r3 to Sebastian404 r7 (both 2.1) but the problem remained. Was worthwhile though as the latter ROM is much smoother, and even more so when using LauncherPro

dxx

Seconded, definitely. Having played with an iPhone 4, an HTC Desire … Seconded, definitely. Having played with an iPhone 4, an HTC Desire standard and HD, a Galaxy S and various other smartphones, it's right up there with them in terms of functionality and user experience. My only real quibble with the San Francisco is that the Home, Menu and Back buttons are a little stiff, and as such, aren't as nice to use as HTC's touch-sensitive buttons. Other than that though, I can't find flaw in the thing, and at £120 (which makes it comparable more with the original iPhone 2G in terms of price), it's fantastic.

You reckon? i prefer the buttons. Owned a nexus one and can say the SF buttons were way better.

Original Poster

Wildfire OOS. So on the think again.
    Is the San Francisco worth it ?. I can see some people have issues but If I did buy it and had a problem I can return it OK ?.

What about this Amaloeid and TFT screen business. Does it just mean that the screen is not as clear/bright ?. Will it do all the things in my first few posts OK ?.
    Edited by: "teraomi" 28th Jan 2011

Original Poster

Didn't want to clog the forums with another topic so ...

Whats the best place to trade in mobiles through the "recycling" way. Unless someone posts some very bad opinions on the San Fran I will be sorting it out soon. Just wanted to get selling my old phone sorted soon. Best place I have found is - fonebank.

Original Poster

Can anyone validate me buying the San Francisco please ?. I just want it to do the above tasks and I'm not expecting the fastest output.

Also could I get clarification on the screens please. I have been reading conflicting reports. Some say it has a Ameloid screen and others a TFT. Some say its Android 2.1 others 2.2.

Does the screen matter and is Android something that can be upgraded or is it like iphone 3 then iphone 3g ?.

Original Poster

I've found a site called modaco and I am sourcing help and additional information over there.

Thanks for the assistance everyone. I can atleast say I have gained some confidence on getting a new phone.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Disney descendants duvet35
      2. Dreams bed sale.21
      3. No claims discount proof - Help needed89
      4. Looking for an iPhone deal33

See more discussions