Expired

Best place to re-lense glasses?

Found 2nd Sep 2013
Hi,

I've got a pair of glasses that I paid £120+ for a few years back (semi-frameless FCUK ones) and the lenses are a little damaged.

Specsavers refused to re-lense the glasses, claiming I'd need an eye test and the cost for the re-lensing service would be £40.
My eyes haven't got any worse and I don't want to wait a week for an appointment then another week for the re-lense. Plus the whole thing would require 2x 30 minute trips, not including the test time.

I've looked around and the average seems to be closer to £20 for this service, however I have no idea which ones are reliable.

Can anyone recommend me a good company/site which offers this service?

Thanks,

Joe
Community Updates
AskGlassesCamera Lens
9 Comments
Definately agree with ceres! No reputable optician will make you up specs without a valid prescription.
No where should reglaze glasses unless you have a in date prescription.How do you know your eyes havent changed? The GOC states that they cant so sorry you will need a new sight test which you can get done anywhere so look out for any free sight test offers and then you can get your prescriptions and take it anywhere.
I just want my current glasses re-lensing with my current prescription for now.
I am looking into contact lenses in the near future (which of course require testing), but for now I just want quick fix.

Its like going to the doctor to get a jab for a holiday trip only to want run a full set of STD tests, a prostate test and a physical.

The whole reason I'm looking online (I was before, the only reason I asked in store was my father had an appointment) is because the turn around is quicker, its less hassle, cheaper and I've not got someone trying to sell me new glasses or extras.
Now if they would have said we don't recommend this without an eye test, but if you insist ok. I would have paid the extra £20 (and signed any waiver they wanted) and would have booked myself in for test and contact lenses consultancy when they were due back.

Its a simple enough request.
I agree, the OP only wants to change lenses on a like for like basis, surely an eyesight test isn't totally necessary.

None of us are enforced to have an eyesight test every two years.

High Street opticians only ever want to flog specs at stupid money.
OP - to actually answer your question...I've used Cilary Blue before - excellent service - around £20
moob

OP - to actually answer your question...I've used Cilary Blue before - … OP - to actually answer your question...I've used Cilary Blue before - excellent service - around £20

To order lenses with ciliaryblue you must have a valid signed spectacle … To order lenses with ciliaryblue you must have a valid signed spectacle prescription, that is less than 2 years old.

Yeah, I'm aware of that and I'm sure the OP is now it's been hammered home.

I was just answering their question instead of lecturing them.
So just how many of those advocating a new prescription have an eyesight test every 2 years?
ceres

I do. For 18 months out of the last two years I was handicapped by … I do. For 18 months out of the last two years I was handicapped by rapidly deteriorating vision. Three surgeries on each eye and a cancer scare later, I'm relieved to have my vision restored. But it was zero fun not being able to drive, ride my bike, use public transport, go into shops or shopping centres, read, use my phone or do pretty much anything that makes life worth living. I'm hugely grateful to a Boots optician who picked up my problems during a routine two-yearly eye test.

Sorry to hear that, and I do hope that you are now fully recovered.

However, I am fairly sure that most folk do not have a bi-yearly eyesight check.
ceres

I am thank you.Maybe they should - there's almost always a free eyetest … I am thank you.Maybe they should - there's almost always a free eyetest offer somewhere so what's to lose. And apart from looking after their own health, it might just get a few of the people who shouldn't be driving with their current/no prescription sorted too.

Its like anything in life sadly, smoking kills, numerous things are bad for us, if only we did more maintenance and self management, took other advice, no obesity, etc etc......

People are always far keener on things that affect themselves or someone close. you have had a close shave with eyes.

Sadly people tend to react to things and give good experience/advice, which tends to be ignored. However don't try to lecture, this tends to come across as aggressive rather than helpful.

My experience is nut allergies, potential fatal issue for my daughter
eczema and asthma, cataract for SO
me fat boy..obese and lack of exercise, crap vision, bad back
my brother has a growth in his head, his daughter kidney issue, his wife dodgy knees
my other brother had a minor heart attack! his wife bad back, numerous ops

I could go on we all know best, but advice is dismissed as it wont happen to me until it does!

Anyway glad to hear you're ok and on road to recovery.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants