Best prepaid cards for foreign travel with lowest fees and/or current offers?

Found 13th AprEdited by:"christiani"
Hi everyone,

I'm travelling at the beginning of May for 6 weeks, travelling to Vietnam, Cambodia, China, and New Zealand. I've been looking in to getting a prepaid card, rather than taking a debit or credit card, as I don't want either to be stolen.

At the moment, I'm leaning toward getting the WeSwap prepay card, but wondered if anyone here has had experience with these cards, and knows if any of them are noticeably better/cheaper than the other.

Any advice would be much-appreciated.

Cheers!
Community Updates
Ask
11 Comments
A prepaid card can still be stolen.

Your safest option is to take two cards, of different types/funding sources and keep them separate when you travel.

Personally we use Halifax clarity, Post Office credit card and Fairfx.
Monzo or Revoult FTW!
Revolut is the best
Got to love revolut
Been travelling in China recently and my Fairfax card pin no. was changed by fairfx office after I used it once in Shanghai, useless customer service would not recommend. Halifax clarity seems a good one.
Thanks for the awesome input everyone. I ended up going with the WeSwap prepay card. I would have opted for the Revolut card instead, but had to bin that idea when I read that there's a limit on withdrawals of £200 per month, which would have been useless for my trip. WeSwap cards don't have a limit on free withdrawals, in case that information is useful to anyone else here!

Thanks again for all your help!
christiani41 m ago

Thanks for the awesome input everyone. I ended up going with the WeSwap …Thanks for the awesome input everyone. I ended up going with the WeSwap prepay card. I would have opted for the Revolut card instead, but had to bin that idea when I read that there's a limit on withdrawals of £200 per month, which would have been useless for my trip. WeSwap cards don't have a limit on free withdrawals, in case that information is useful to anyone else here!Thanks again for all your help!

so you can take out as much as possible from the We Swap card,without daily limit? any charges? whats that catch as it seems too good to be true.
EN1GMA17 m ago

so you can take out as much as possible from the We Swap card,without …so you can take out as much as possible from the We Swap card,without daily limit? any charges? whats that catch as it seems too good to be true.

I got it slightly wrong. There's a flat 1.5% fee on withdrawals from cash machines under £200. If you withdraw over £200, no fee is charged. There's a £200 limit on withdrawals in your home currency, and £150 on purchases in your home currency. You can swap money you put on the card to a number of different currencies though, so you can get around the limit that way. To be honest, I probably won't be spending more than £200 per week where I'll be travelling (Vietnam, Cambodia, and China). You can also download their app and top your card up online, as per usual, and temporarily cancel it via the app if it's stolen etc. Awesome little card!
christiani2 h, 20 m ago

I got it slightly wrong. There's a flat 1.5% fee on withdrawals from cash …I got it slightly wrong. There's a flat 1.5% fee on withdrawals from cash machines under £200. If you withdraw over £200, no fee is charged. There's a £200 limit on withdrawals in your home currency, and £150 on purchases in your home currency. You can swap money you put on the card to a number of different currencies though, so you can get around the limit that way. To be honest, I probably won't be spending more than £200 per week where I'll be travelling (Vietnam, Cambodia, and China). You can also download their app and top your card up online, as per usual, and temporarily cancel it via the app if it's stolen etc. Awesome little card!

Oh, it appears to have changed, I guess they weren't making enough money!

Sorry for misleading you in saying they were the best, it appears they are no longer the best...
revolut the way to go!
Bigfootpete18 h, 8 m ago

Oh, it appears to have changed, I guess they weren't making enough money! …Oh, it appears to have changed, I guess they weren't making enough money! Sorry for misleading you in saying they were the best, it appears they are no longer the best...

Yeah, I'm not surprised... WeSwap showed a loss last financial year, so make the best of them before they up their prices as well, I guess!
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants