Best Program to get torrents

37 replies
Found 21st Jan 2008
Anyone have any preference to the best program to download from torrent sites.
I tried Azurus but can't say I liked it. Also had bitlord but notice lately some files wont connect.
Ideally want something spyware clean.

TIA

1. Misc
Groups
  1. Misc
37 Comments

utorrent...say no more! :thumbsup:

I use one called dna, downloaded as part of bittorrent, seems good.

arent newsgroups better?

utorrent or bitcomet is probably best and easy to use

I used to use Azureus but it was a bit taxing on my then
old PC so I switched to Utorrent.

Never looked back. :thumbsup:

Utorrent by far

I use Azureus and it's spot on...

use utorrent here also, seems to work well

Original Poster

thanks to all for the comments, will give utorrent a go.

i have always used bit torrent.

uTorrent 1.6
Bitcomet is also very good

whats the difference between torrents and newsgroups please?
ok i paid for newsgroupd but a series only took 45 mins to download max where as torrent was free but took forever to download anythnig?
or was i doing somethnig wrong?

I have always used uTorrent

Original Poster

jasonrat;1484821

whats the difference between torrents and newsgroups please?ok i paid for … whats the difference between torrents and newsgroups please?ok i paid for newsgroupd but a series only took 45 mins to download max where as torrent was free but took forever to download anythnig?or was i doing somethnig wrong?

You have explained the difference yourself !!!

why would anyone want torrents if it took weeks to download a movie?

i get movies generally in about 1-2hours using bit torrent

I cant wait to upgrade to VM 20Mb... wooo

Banned

Speed is the main difference, plus I believe you upload when you use torrents don't you? If so then thats a criminal offence whereas downloading from newsgroups isn't.
As a guide, if I downloaded a typical TV episode of around 42 minutes (ie prison break, heroes etc) then it would take around 3 minutes on a NG on 20mb Broadband.

um downloading is illegal too, whether you use a torrent or a newsgroup

ive been using utorrent for a while but tried hit news with a free trial and was impressed. been looking today for a cheap news group, any reccomendations or any free ones?

have you] tried usenext?

i was with these for a while

pretty good and quick

As some people have already said - uTorrent is the best client for Windows by far. Regrettably I'm stuck with Azureus on my Mac.

I use Transmission on my mac, but definately utorrent for a PC

Banned

shanecr;1485207

really? got a link to the criminal offence relating to downloading?

Here's one saying its only a civil offence

copyrightaware.co.uk/pro…asp

9. Is there any legal penalty for illegally downloading film or TV … 9. Is there any legal penalty for illegally downloading film or TV content for my own use?Yes. Downloading film or TV content without the proper permission is a civil offence. This means that if you act illegally in your use of film or TV content, you are at risk of being sued by the film or TV rights owner.10. What about if I then sell this downloaded content or otherwise make money from it?You commit a criminal offence in the event that, without the proper permission, you:sell or make available for hire, or for commercial purposes, import to the UK, exhibit to the public or distribute, illegally obtained film or TV content, where you know (or have reason to believe) that the content is illegally copied.

shanecr;1485207

Neither Torrents or Newsgroups are illegal, plenty of people use them legitimately, you can use any form of download (html, ftp, P2P, etc....) for illegal downloads (films software etc....) using any of them doesn't mean your doing anything illegal.

whats the difference between torrents and newsgroups please?

'Torrents' are trackable and 'Newsgroups' are used by paedophiles. :roll:

The blind leading the blind comes to mind.

Banned

Likely2;1485907

Neither Torrents or Newsgroups are illegal, plenty of people use them … Neither Torrents or Newsgroups are illegal, plenty of people use them legitimately, you can use any form of download (html, ftp, P2P, etc....) for illegal downloads (films software etc....) using any of them doesn't mean your doing anything illegal.

When the person asked what the difference was and mentioned a series, I presumed he was talking about a tv series, therefore using a torrent would be a criminal offence, usenet wouldn't be :-D

Boring answer but..... another vote for Utorrent.
Works great and is simple to get to grips with.

Banned

Using Azureus as it's the only one that works on Sky Connect, it allows you to encrypt the data so Sky can't tell what you're using their connection for. (otherwise I get 10kB/s)

Banned

colinsunderland;1485547

really? got a link to the criminal offence relating to downloading?Here's … really? got a link to the criminal offence relating to downloading?Here's one saying its only a civil offencehttp://www.copyrightaware.co.uk/protectingcreativity/letterofthelaw.asp

wow how about that, downloading films etc isnt a a criminal offence.....god I had such a go at some bimbo who told me it wasnt and insisted that as long as it was for personal use it wasnt against the law.......:oops:

stage6

Proximo;1486302

wow how about that, downloading films etc isnt a a criminal … wow how about that, downloading films etc isnt a a criminal offence.....god I had such a go at some bimbo who told me it wasnt and insisted that as long as it was for personal use it wasnt against the law.......:oops:

:-D

I have used utorrent for a long time now after using other's it is by far the best because.....

1. easy user face
2. settings are easy to alter
3. If you get a NAT problem, its easily sorted by clicking a button with a Link in the program which takes you to a website that is very help and informative to sort out the problem
4. need i say more :giggle:

after all the utorrent comments i had a look at it, and it looks exactly the same as bit torrent, so i used them both to download the same torrent and utorrent used more resources, only slightly more mind and it wasnt any quicker so i will stick to bit torrent.

Banned

shanecr;1487024

after all the utorrent comments i had a look at it, and it looks exactly … after all the utorrent comments i had a look at it, and it looks exactly the same as bit torrent, so i used them both to download the same torrent and utorrent used more resources, only slightly more mind and it wasnt any quicker so i will stick to bit torrent.

Can you set individual torrent priorities, multi-level series downloads (e.g ep 1 before ep 2 etc), individual bandwidth limits per torrent etc?

Bittorrent looked very basic last time I used it but that was about a year ago.

utorrent needs a little tweaking but once set properly, its the biz.

give it another go and read the tips.

utorrent.com/gui…php

my record speed for one torrent was 1.8mbps. 350mb in 20minutes!

csiman;1487396

Can you set individual torrent priorities, multi-level series downloads … Can you set individual torrent priorities, multi-level series downloads (e.g ep 1 before ep 2 etc), individual bandwidth limits per torrent etc?

I can on dna which downloaded as a beta with bit torrent

csiman;1487396

Can you set individual torrent priorities, multi-level series downloads … Can you set individual torrent priorities, multi-level series downloads (e.g ep 1 before ep 2 etc), individual bandwidth limits per torrent etc?Bittorrent looked very basic last time I used it but that was about a year ago.utorrent needs a little tweaking but once set properly, its the biz.give it another go and read the tips.http://www.utorrent.com/guides.phpmy record speed for one torrent was 1.8mbps. 350mb in 20minutes!

to be honest, i download very little these days so all those possible extra options wont mean much to me. but i will have another look

lumoruk;1486247

Using Azureus as it's the only one that works on Sky Connect, it allows … Using Azureus as it's the only one that works on Sky Connect, it allows you to encrypt the data so Sky can't tell what you're using their connection for. (otherwise I get 10kB/s)

Utorrent can also encrypt the data if you select the encrypt option
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Topcashback Trick or Treat competition63683
    2. Win two star gazing festival tickets in the north pennines21
    3. Win a google pixel phone at Stylist1111
    4. win free cash32

See more discussions