Best radiator paint?

Posted 28th Dec 2019
So I bought an aerosol from screwfix today to re- paint my radiator m. It gave a really patchy and horrible finish and barely even covered it. Can i have suggestions for any paint that’ll last long and i dont mind if it’s an aerosol or in a tin. I have a metal radiator that has a glossy finish currently.
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

8 Comments
Don’t paint your rads ..!! Diminishes the heat they give out.
You can buy the paint online a lot cheaper from eBay.
Best way to paint rads I found is lightly rub the radiators down with some sand paper.
Use the aerosol can on the first coat. After this use the paint tin version. Use a gloss roller and a brush for the areas where the foam roller won't reach and your radiators will look like new again. Make sure not to get any runs and use the roller as much as possible to reduce any brush marks. Go thin with the paint as it's a thin paint.
Good luck. Also make sure the radiators are nice and clean plus off when you do it. And let the radiator dry for the day before turning it back on 🤞
Edited by: "kash2013" 28th Dec 2019
kash201328/12/2019 10:00

You can buy the paint online a lot cheaper from eBay. Best way to paint …You can buy the paint online a lot cheaper from eBay. Best way to paint rads I found is lightly rub the radiators down with some sand paper. Use the aerosol can on the first coat. After this use the paint tin version. Use a gloss roller and a brush for the areas where the foam roller won't reach and your radiators will look like new again. Make sure not to get any runs and use the roller as much as possible to reduce any brush marks. Go thin with the paint as it's a thin paint. Good luck. Also make sure the radiators are nice and clean plus off when you do it. And let the radiator dry for the day before turning it back on 🤞

Thank you, this was really helpful
kash201328/12/2019 10:00

You can buy the paint online a lot cheaper from eBay. Best way to paint …You can buy the paint online a lot cheaper from eBay. Best way to paint rads I found is lightly rub the radiators down with some sand paper. Use the aerosol can on the first coat. After this use the paint tin version. Use a gloss roller and a brush for the areas where the foam roller won't reach and your radiators will look like new again. Make sure not to get any runs and use the roller as much as possible to reduce any brush marks. Go thin with the paint as it's a thin paint. Good luck. Also make sure the radiators are nice and clean plus off when you do it. And let the radiator dry for the day before turning it back on 🤞

Would a sponge type painter be better as it leaves very little brush marks and gets into tight spaces and it’s quicker.
Joey.Bloggsy28/12/2019 12:04

Would a sponge type painter be better as it leaves very little brush marks …Would a sponge type painter be better as it leaves very little brush marks and gets into tight spaces and it’s quicker.

I have never tried it. But the gloss foam roller is like a smooth sponge. I guess is something I would need to try next time.
kash201328/12/2019 12:18

I have never tried it. But the gloss foam roller is like a smooth sponge. …I have never tried it. But the gloss foam roller is like a smooth sponge. I guess is something I would need to try next time.

Years ago I ordered a set from qvc and found it to be my preferred method for painting.
Go with a proper set first and then try the rest.
Give it a go
Markydavfc28/12/2019 08:22

Don’t paint your rads ..!! Diminishes the heat they give out.

it's true ,moved in and some one painted mine in this rented property, why my normal White ones, you could really feel the heat
Well i am a bit tight so bought some white £1 car paint aerosols from poundland to test out and it seems to resist the heat - unexpected!
Patchy though so needed to give it a rub down afterward with t-cut so looks ok now!
Edited by: "omendata" 29th Dec 2019
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions