Best rat trap please.

Posted 12th Apr
During the winter the fences broke and they've moved into my shed as it had some holes. I need to get rid of them. Can anyone recommend me some please as I need garden safe for the kids to play there
Community Updates
Ask
Top comments
A cat
45 Comments
I have seen a few of them in the garden
A cat
deleted2473787
My cats bring me presents on a regular basis.
rats are very susceptible to certain odors. Peppermint oil, castor oil and citronella oil all drive rats away. Use cotton balls soaked in these oils, or just spread a little oil around where the rats are staying
Rat poison in bait boxes and rat traps with peanut butter.
OK This might not go down to well.

Rake up all of the foliage in the garden. Then buy a small bag of concrete & a bag of rat killer & mix it up & fill the holes. They will kill themselves gnawing through.
Get the blue rat poison blocks off eBay, no need for traps. Just throw the food in the corner somewhere. It’s very effective.
First thing I would do (after putting on gloves etc to protect against weil's) is get rid of any available sources of food in your shed and garden, not forgetting they'll also eat odd food stuffs like soap. They go after food in bird feeders too if they can climb up to them.

Also, if possible deprive them of any source of water.

We had rats in the shed a few years back, the chewed up a large area of the flooring and gnawed through plywood boxes and destroyed nearly half the stuff stored in there. They were attracted by a bag of fish food.

The rat poison we tried was ignored, a neighbour keeps rabbits and I suspect the rats were getting plenty of much nicer food from there than the crappy poison bait we bought.
Edited by: "melted" 12th Apr
Funny enough I was having the same conversation with someone on Facebook yesterday I will message you
melted12/04/2020 02:01

First thing I would do (after putting on gloves etc to protect against …First thing I would do (after putting on gloves etc to protect against weil's) is get rid of any available sources of food in your shed and garden, not forgetting they'll also eat odd food stuffs like soap. They go after food in bird feeders too if they can climb up to them.Also, if possible deprive them of any source of water.We had rats in the shed a few years back, the chewed up a large area of the flooring and gnawed through plywood boxes and destroyed nearly half the stuff stored in there. They were attracted by a bag of fish food.The rat poison we tried was ignored, a neighbour keeps rabbits and I suspect the rats were getting plenty of much nicer food from there than the crappy poison bait we bought.

Oh yes. Very aware of this when my neighbours decided to put a food tray down in their back garden which attracted a little friend. The conversation with them didn’t go down too well.
After some rat poison hidden in and around the garden and decking area it went within a few days.
deleted2473787
Do not use poison! What if your neighbours cat / dog eats a rodent that ultimately has been poisoned, think of the consequences.
I had rats in my compost bin ( bottomless dustbin type) , were eating all the veg peelings . They were coming in from next door and had gnored a hole in the bottom of the fence. Used one of the plastic bait boxes and blue poison blocks. They came back a month or so after my first attempt but my second was more successful and I've not seen any for over a year now.
I have so many bait boxes, didn't work, not a single one worked, however I had sticky pads or sticky paper whatever it's called and that caught a lot. If you can cover most of the ground with them for example half the shed that prevents them from jumping over and only option is through the sticky paper, you can catch all of them. Once they see one of theirs get stuck, they get smart, so the older ones know to avoid it but still catches a few older ones but obviously I'm only using a few otherwise I'd catch all of them by now.
As someone who has to deal with rats for two summers now.

Don't go for rat poison, not only would it be harmful for any dogs or cats you or the neighbours you might have but it is also harmful to wildlife.

Glue traps are an awful method, the animal does not die instantly and suffers a long slow death.

You can get the standard traps, find.where the rat is calling home and bait it with peanut butter. If there are multiple exits, find them and block them.

Try not getting your scent all over the trap for a quicker baiting
Not rats where harmed so ok to post here.however. This is the best rat trap. Walk the plank type I guess

Edited by: "wayners" 12th Apr
Zero.Chill12/04/2020 01:36

Get the blue rat poison blocks off eBay, no need for traps. Just throw the …Get the blue rat poison blocks off eBay, no need for traps. Just throw the food in the corner somewhere. It’s very effective.

Maybe effective but
1. I'm pretty sure its illegal
2. What if innocent animals eat then. Cats hedgehog birds etc

Get the blue rat poison blocks off eBay, no need for traps. Just throw the …Get the blue rat poison blocks off eBay, no need for traps. Just throw the food in the corner somewhere. It’s very effective.

USE IT IN A PROPER BAIT BOX !!!!!
Don’t buy the big cheese bait station, imo the whole is too small...get the bigger ones like the council use or make one with some old pipe.if you use blocks fix them inside the pipe so they can’t be drag away.
Hammer
nydare12/04/2020 09:33

Maybe effective but 1. I'm pretty sure its illegal 2. What if innocent …Maybe effective but 1. I'm pretty sure its illegal 2. What if innocent animals eat then. Cats hedgehog birds etc

TIL that Rats are not innocent animals.
I had them in my garden once. At dawn they would come out in the garden as if it was a free for all. I borrowed my mates pellet gun and shot them all over the course of a few days. Job done.
fishmaster12/04/2020 10:36

TIL that Rats are not innocent animals.

My meaning of the word innocent is that there not the intended target of the bait. Of course rats are innocent technically but they are also not wanted in gardens hence the bait traps etc
We use to put out cheese with lots of chilli, we installed a cam to see the end result. After 1min or so they would get hyper in circles and collapse dead!

Result!
brettytopbanana12/04/2020 10:38

I had them in my garden once. At dawn they would come out in the garden as …I had them in my garden once. At dawn they would come out in the garden as if it was a free for all. I borrowed my mates pellet gun and shot them all over the course of a few days. Job done.

Your aim was good, how far out was you?
rimalpatel00712/04/2020 11:49

Your aim was good, how far out was you?

Only 20 yards or so but it was strangely satisfying. The thing is, they are vermin and carry disease plus we have a dog so I had to make sure that I got rid of them!

Any links please?
andyjp112/04/2020 06:24

Oh yes. Very aware of this when my neighbours decided to put a food tray …Oh yes. Very aware of this when my neighbours decided to put a food tray down in their back garden which attracted a little friend. The conversation with them didn’t go down too well. After some rat poison hidden in and around the garden and decking area it went within a few days.

Theres no food in my shed. So they must be eating elsewhere and staying in my broke down shed like bed and breakfast
You can buy some rat glue stickers and see if any get caught.
But, you ideally need TOMCAT poison blocks and leave them in bait boxes.

Natural oils and butters do jack!
deleted247378712/04/2020 06:45

Do not use poison! What if your neighbours cat / dog eats a rodent that …Do not use poison! What if your neighbours cat / dog eats a rodent that ultimately has been poisoned, think of the consequences.

What consequences ? They were trespassing.
deleted2473787
zworld12/04/2020 12:45

What consequences ? They were trespassing.

When you something useful to add then go ahead, until then I would keep stupid comments like this to yourself.
Edited by: "deleted2473787" 12th Apr
Bob Geldof did a good version.
zworld12/04/2020 12:43

You can buy some rat glue stickers and see if any get caught.But, you …You can buy some rat glue stickers and see if any get caught.But, you ideally need TOMCAT poison blocks and leave them in bait boxes.Natural oils and butters do jack!

amazon.co.uk/Ros…8-8

These any good?
wayners12/04/2020 09:15

Not rats where harmed so ok to post here.however. This is the best rat …Not rats where harmed so ok to post here.however. This is the best rat trap. Walk the plank type I guess[Video]

That's £200+ I can just hire rat catcher for that price
deleted247378712/04/2020 12:50

When you something useful to add then go ahead, until then I would keep …When you something useful to add then go ahead, until then I would keep stupid comments like this to yourself.

But m' lord , they were trespassing on ma property. The owners should have trained them better.
montana7812/04/2020 13:05

That's £200+ I can just hire rat catcher for that price

Well you asked for best trap. Anyway, a walk the plank mouse and rat trap demo on same YouTube site is £12 plus a little effort to make
Edited by: "wayners" 12th Apr
Watch Shawn Woods traps on Youtube.
wayners12/04/2020 13:58

Well you asked for best trap. Anyway, a walk the plank mouse and rat trap …Well you asked for best trap. Anyway, a walk the plank mouse and rat trap demo on same YouTube site is £12 plus a little effort to make

like these ones? What do I do with the rats after?

40390941-FWiDI.jpg40390941-9BjM0.jpg
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions