Best red wine under £20 you can buy at Tesco?

Found 4th Apr 2015
I usually don't drink wine so don't know much (or anything) about them. It's going to be a gift for a friend. Any suggestions please?
Community Updates
AskWine
19 Comments
It's all according to taste whether your gift receiver likes full or medium bodied reds. I'm a huge Bordeaux fan atb the moment but don;t buy Tesco wine as always disappointed with their generic quality.

I find the Castillo San Lorenzo Rioja Gran Reserva one of their best medium bodied online as the Castillo range are superior to most.

Tesco is now probably one of the worst supermarket retailers for quality wine. Sadly all the supermarket retailers are selling ordinary table wine for inflated prices, partly due to the tax and mark-up. Waitrose is probably the best overall, but Aldi can be surprisingly good for value. I have a preference for Australian Red, Cabernet Shiraz, or full bodied Shiraz usually from the Wine Makers Penfolds, D'arenberg, or Wolf Blass but nowadays the markup is so stupid that you're buying only their mid-level wines for even £20-30 ! Sadly I'm not a connoisseur or purveyor of Red wine especially from France, as most of the top French wines are out of my price range. Thus usually concentrate on drinking Red Wines from Australia, Chile, or Spain as they are value for money. If you must buy a bottle from Tesco try Tim Adams Shiraz, strong full bodied and satisfactory for the price.

(If you would like to offer an alternative as it's a GIFT, and many enjoy sparkling wine - I'm partial to English Sparkling White Wine such as Nyetimber Classic Cuvée or Chapel Down NV Vintage Reserve but they are £20-23 White and from Waitrose. So sadly not really hitting any of your requirements).

Edited by: "nemesiz" 5th Apr 2015
Just don't go for any half price wines.... Don't be fooled. IMO if you want the person to like the wine pay a reasonable price for it. Even then they may not like, as it is not to there taste...... But at least it will be a good wine for the price you paid. Maybe go for something at approx £12 a bottle...... Not £6 was £12.
A Merlot from Lidls. Tesco wines are a rip off.
hope I spell this correct.. chatau-neuf du pape. good quality wine, or a saint emillion. but as others say its a matter of taste. some cheaper wines can be as good, even better. I also agree that lidl and aldi have some good wines at good prices. some have won awards.
Anything Oyster Bay (NZ) red or white gets a great reception.
buckfast
I've always enjoyed a Barolo, but not from any particular wine maker.
I also like a Shiraz and a Rioja just to give you an idea of my tastes.
I think every Louis Jadot wine I've also enjoyed.
My favourite though (my go to red for special occasions), is a Margaux (not from any particular house).
An Aussie Sheila goes down well.
bo84gle

buckfast

made me chuckle lol
get urself to Costco and get ur self a bottle of Meerlust Rubicon
We drink McGuigans and its a lovely wine but under a tenner a bottle... Chateau Neuf du pape is a nice choice.

The problem with Chateau-Neuf du Pape is it's overpriced, and varies in quality like many of the French regional wines. If you buy a specific vintage of Chateauneuf du Pape it's possible to get a fragrant, fruity balanced wine that oozes charms and enjoyable to drink with game or red meat but then you're paying the top of end of your budget at least (see Marks & Spencers). Tesco Finest Chateauneuf Du Pape £13.49 is non-vintage, and in my opinion overpriced.

Somehow if you can find an Victoria Wines, Independent Off license, or fortunate to live close to BBR or a similar quality stockists you might get an alternative selection that far exceeds the Supermarket selection.

My favourite though (my go to red for special occasions), is a Margaux … My favourite though (my go to red for special occasions), is a Margaux (not from any particular house).

Only if you purchase a Margaux from a lesser Estate would it be under £20 but if you do the research yes it's possible to find a real gem!

If you still must buy from Tesco and like full bodied Red Wine try Tim Adams Shiraz, Penfolds Bin 28 Kalimna Shiraz or Koonunga Hill Shiraz Cabernet. All compete with their French counterparts at a fraction of the price.

There is a theory that the bigger the dent in the bottom of the bottle (It's called a punt) then the better the wine. I like to try different reds from different houses without research and this has never let me down.

There is a theory that the bigger the dent in the bottom of the bottle … There is a theory that the bigger the dent in the bottom of the bottle (It's called a punt) then the better the wine. I like to try different reds from different houses without research and this has never let me down.

(off topic) Used to do a similar thing whereby purchasing Bin Ends from Wine Merchants. Bought a real gem Domdechant Werner Hochheimer Riesling - Spatlese (Vintage 2000, 2001, 2003) each for £3.79. Wow fruity, mineral sparkling, refreshingly balanced sweetness. Easily worth it's money. Once you've tasted a vintage year Major estate German wine
you'll never go back.

Also when the Penfold Wines was on offer (store closing) got a chance to taste their Bin 389, 707, and the RWT for a fraction of the price.

I know it's a gift, but I really would try to find out what your friend likes first before buying. My favourite red wine is a Greek sweet wine that tastes similar to a Port and is less than a fiver ! . Tastes are so individual it is easy to get it wrong.
Tesco have been doing some good Spanish wines recently. This Tesco finest* Old Vines Tempranillo is very good and proves that you don't need to spend £20/bottle.
Search Matthew juke's blog for Tesco matthewjukes.com/
But if i was buying a one off bottle i'd start with Waitrose if one was near by
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants