Best Router for a Flat

Found 21st Mar
Hey everyone,

I'd really appreciate the advice of someone with a little know how about routers.

We have a really inconsistent Wifi speed around the house, wired connection isn't possible for some of the devices.

I've checked the speeds coming in,remains at 55mbps with highs of 65mbps, no errors on the line.

Currently using this router: TP Link TD-W8968

We live in a 65sqm flat.

It appears to be a minefield looking for a decent router, with many reviews being advertorial, I'd appreciate the feedback of real people :).

Best,

R
Community Updates
Ask
11 Comments
Where's your router placed ?
In the middle of the flat, at the master socket
How far off the floor ?
kester7640 m ago

How far off the floor ?

30cm I reckon
Try raising it to at least 1 metre off the ground, ideal height would be around 2 metres. Should boost your signal as you're losing a lot of it through the floor.
kester7621 m ago

Try raising it to at least 1 metre off the ground, ideal height would be …Try raising it to at least 1 metre off the ground, ideal height would be around 2 metres. Should boost your signal as you're losing a lot of it through the floor.

Cool, I'll give it a try. Wasn't sure if it's a naff router!
kester7623 m ago

Try raising it to at least 1 metre off the ground, ideal height would be …Try raising it to at least 1 metre off the ground, ideal height would be around 2 metres. Should boost your signal as you're losing a lot of it through the floor.

Also try placing it so that there aren't any large metal items (e.g. fridges) in between points of use (computer, games console, etc.) and the router. (Not sure of the physics of this but the BT installer cared about it when he replaced our router recently.)

Theoretically, in a flat that size you shouldn't need a WiFi extender but, rather than buying a new router, it may be more practical/economical/flexible to buy a couple of WiFi over power adaptors so you can have wired connections for devices that you feel really need them.
hairray7 m ago

Cool, I'll give it a try. Wasn't sure if it's a naff router!

Probably not, WIFI routers transmit in a doughnut shape the strongest point is about the middle of the aerial. Most people leave them close to the floor as they got short cables. This means that the strongest part of your signal is transmitted at the same height as all your furniture.

Always found it strange that WIFI routers never come with instructions about the best place to install them and I guess the installers aren't too fussed about telling the customer the best place.

check out
imgur.com/gal…oOe
kester7620 m ago

Probably not, WIFI routers transmit in a doughnut shape the strongest …Probably not, WIFI routers transmit in a doughnut shape the strongest point is about the middle of the aerial. Most people leave them close to the floor as they got short cables. This means that the strongest part of your signal is transmitted at the same height as all your furniture. Always found it strange that WIFI routers never come with instructions about the best place to install them and I guess the installers aren't too fussed about telling the customer the best place.check out https://imgur.com/gallery/UNoOe

Thank you for your help!
Speeds varying with location is just the way wi-fi works.

Wi-fi will vary it's speed depending on the signal strength at a location, and signal strength drops with distance from router as well as being attenuated by obstacles.

Plus it's dependant on devices on both ends, and older/smaller devices will generally only be capable of slower speeds

A different router won't be any more consistent, if anything a more expensive router that also supports the fast-but-shorter-ranged 5Ghz band will be less consistent, with the nearby 5Ghz devices pulling further ahead.

Not many people are bothered by something that abstract so I presume there's a more concrete reason for spending money. If a speed in some combination of devices and location are too low for something or other it'd be helpful to know what speed, what sort of devices and what your expectations are for improvement.

Generally speaking there's no replacement for simple proximity. A second wi-fi box ('access point') connected to the router by cable is cheap to buy and will outperform
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants