Best safety razor kit?

Found 16th Feb 2012
I was wondering if anyone knew any decent kits available or just a place where you can get all the stuff relatively cheap. Would love to try it out as I hear it's a lot better on the skin and makes you feel much much manlier!

1. Misc
  2. Razor
Groups
  1. Misc
  2. Razor
28 Comments

It depends on what you want to spend I suppose. I got my set up from the shaving shack because they have 10% off your first order (when you sign up for email updates) and they had a cheap own brand brush which had quite good reviews for the price. Check out these links.....

shaving101.com/ind…tml

shaving-shack.com/sha…tml - brush i use, cheap and good reviews

I started used a DE about five years ago and never looked back. I use this razor and this brush
One thing i would recommend is to get a blade sample pack here to help try and find the right blade for you (I use feathers which are VERY sharp!) Also its very important to get a decent soap, i'd personally recommend The body shops Macca root or if you've got a poundland nearby see if they've got any "real shaving company" cream in.

It's also worth looking through some of this guys videos.
youtube.com/use…c59

Banned

I went for 100 derby blades from amazon and they are awful. A bic gets a closer shave!

I tried a safety razor and went through all the tips of how to do it etc, just ripped my skin to shreds and hurt like hell. Stick to Wilkinson Sword lol.

Banned

aircanman

I tried a safety razor and went through all the tips of how to do it etc, … I tried a safety razor and went through all the tips of how to do it etc, just ripped my skin to shreds and hurt like hell. Stick to Wilkinson Sword lol.

if you were doing it properly, then its very difficult to cut any skin as you are only meant to put minimal pressure on the blade at point of skin contact (30 degree tangent). I struggled for the first couple of weeks but I wasnt using proper shaving cream so it didnt glide properly. Its not that close now either due to the crap amazon derby blades.

Will opt for a sample pack when low.

csiman

I went for 100 derby blades from amazon and they are awful. A bic gets a … I went for 100 derby blades from amazon and they are awful. A bic gets a closer shave!

I bought 200.
Edited by: "dontasciime" 16th Feb 2012

aircanman

I tried a safety razor and went through all the tips of how to do it etc, … I tried a safety razor and went through all the tips of how to do it etc, just ripped my skin to shreds and hurt like hell. Stick to Wilkinson Sword lol.

Ihad some wilkonsons sword disposables i think i would of been in less pain if i tweezed all the hair out

Banned

dontasciime

I bought 200.

do you agree they are crap too?

about 1 in 5 seems sharp but the rest are just blunt!

I do have a crap razor as well so may splash out on a Merkur 34C and some bluebeards revenge cream

csiman

do you agree they are crap too? about 1 in 5 seems sharp but the rest are … do you agree they are crap too? about 1 in 5 seems sharp but the rest are just blunt!I do have a crap razor as well so may splash out on a Merkur 34C and some bluebeards revenge cream

I gave mine away bought 2 100 kits they were not for me after using a few. Too sharp then too blunt

dontasciime

I gave mine away bought 2 100 kits they were not for me after using a … I gave mine away bought 2 100 kits they were not for me after using a few. Too sharp then too blunt

I suspected there would be a catch considering the very low price per blade

Merkur 15c is great value and comes with 6 blades total at Connaught. They are good quality blades.

Banned

brett1985

Merkur 15c is great value and comes with 6 blades total at Connaught. … Merkur 15c is great value and comes with 6 blades total at Connaught. They are good quality blades.

but thats only £7.50 cheaper than the top rated 34C

shosie

Ihad some wilkonsons sword disposables i think i would of been in less … Ihad some wilkonsons sword disposables i think i would of been in less pain if i tweezed all the hair out

The new Hydro thingy from them is brill, blade lasts twice as long as Mach 3 Turbo Super Hyper Lightspeed version, even with the battery. And it doesn't hurt so much.

I have used a DE safety for some time now.

I would advise getting a 'Barbour pole' style which is slightly longer and easier to use when your hands get wet.

Do not use 'derby blades' ................

Also I use shaving gel from a can and find it as good to use as any of the 'fancy soaps' and brush method ..

You will have to develop your own preferences .....
Edited by: "rangermastiffs" 16th Feb 2012

Original Poster

Atm I use the Gillete Fusion powered stealth with Nivea shaving gel but I thought I'd go for the manly feel of the safety razor and stuff and it genuinely does seem rather cool. How often would one change the blades?

csiman

but thats only £7.50 cheaper than the top rated 34C

33% more then. I'm not sure what I missing out on either with the 15C.

Gentatsu

Atm I use the Gillete Fusion powered stealth with Nivea shaving gel but I … Atm I use the Gillete Fusion powered stealth with Nivea shaving gel but I thought I'd go for the manly feel of the safety razor and stuff and it genuinely does seem rather cool. How often would one change the blades?

I change mine weekly.

aircanman

The new Hydro thingy from them is brill, blade lasts twice as long as … The new Hydro thingy from them is brill, blade lasts twice as long as Mach 3 Turbo Super Hyper Lightspeed version, even with the battery. And it doesn't hurt so much.

I have the latest gillete raxzor but cant afford the blades haha,

I have just got into DE shaving and use the Merkur 34C which gets great reviews. It makes shaving a pleasure and not a chore.

Best thing is to try a few different blades as different razors suit some blades and not others.

Enjoy

Found useful tips etc here:

Link

Original Poster

Goonieman

I change mine weekly.

How often do you shave? I'm going for a once every week(shave) type thing.

Gentatsu

How often do you shave? I'm going for a once every week(shave) type thing.

Monday-friday with the occasional weekend if i'm out.

shosie

I have the latest gillete raxzor but cant afford the blades haha,

I do admit they cost a flaming fortune.

Like Pavers I am fairly new to DE shaving but I have had many years of suffering with razor burn, ingrowing hairs and spots due to shaving. Since binning my collection of Gillette, Wilkinson Sword and King of Shaves razors my skin has never been so good.
I have the Merker 34C razor with a trial selection of blades and so far am preferring the feathers. I would highly recommend DE razors and traditional shaving, takes a little longer but to quote Pavers

It makes shaving a pleasure and not a chore

There are a lot of online stores and I would suggest looking through them all for prices and the tips they post.
I hve bought from The Traditional Shaving Company - who also offer starter kits (wish I had done this) and The Shaving Shack - which has some good prices and some very good tips.

Banned

merkur 34c is on my shopping list but waiting for sub £20

avoid derby blades BTW!

No problem using £6.99 Baily safety razor,Shark blades,Arko soap and Wilkinson Sword brush! No cuts or rashes and a better shave than cartridge razors.

morningrise

No problem using £6.99 Baily safety razor,Shark blades,Arko soap and … No problem using £6.99 Baily safety razor,Shark blades,Arko soap and Wilkinson Sword brush! No cuts or rashes and a better shave than cartridge razors.

I'm sure the OP has been enjoying his shave for the past 2 and half years now but thanks for the necro bump oO
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions