Best SatNav recommendations?

Found 4th Aug
My mum's trusty TomTom has died.

She doesn't like using her mobile as the screen is too small. Plus she doesn't have a data plan.

TomTom are offering a new model with lifetime updates and traffic reports (via built in Sim with free data) for £237.99

I am a bit reluctant to go with TomTom again given how they cut off support for her old device (I know they can't support it forever but they should have at least provided the device files, so I could have a go at doing a restore).

I am not sure if Garmin is any better.

I am also not sure if I should get a large screen tablet and let her use Googlemaps on that (But I wouldn't be able to get a data plan, so that might be an issue).

My mum is happy to pay a bit extra for a SatNav as she relies quite heavily on it. She also wants it to have US maps, as my sister borrows it when traveling in the states.

Sat Nav deals
Community Updates
Ask
5 Comments
5 inch Tom tom £120. Why you spending so much? Traffic reports I guess but she should re consider a mobile and Google maps. Do you need to stick with what she knows like a Tom tom. I should add..... I use
£3.50 a month sim only and £70 mobile dose me
Edited by: "wayners" 4th Aug
Is the traffic updates essential?

TomTom Go 520, lifetime map updates and world maps £169 @ Amazon amazon.co.uk/Tom…usa, (also has traffic updates via connected mobile phone)
Edited by: "andynicol" 4th Aug
be wary of Tomtom. Despite having a known hardware problem, their only solution is for me to buy another unit with a discount. Not very good service.

Recently, I compared Google and TomTom and Google saved 45 mins on a 2 1/2 hour journey.

I honestly would not buy a TomTom unit again. Use Google.
ccnp41 m ago

be wary of Tomtom. Despite having a known hardware problem, their only …be wary of Tomtom. Despite having a known hardware problem, their only solution is for me to buy another unit with a discount. Not very good service. Recently, I compared Google and TomTom and Google saved 45 mins on a 2 1/2 hour journey. I honestly would not buy a TomTom unit again. Use Google.

Is there anyway I can use Google without data. Online there are lots of guides about how to download Google maps, but it never seems to work for me.
Offline use here maps. Google maps download is just a specific area and I've never found it useful. Only lasts 30 days to.Open app. menu... Offline maps.
Edited by: "wayners" 4th Aug
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants