Best Screen for Gaming, 50hz or 100hz

Found 20th Aug 2012
Hi Guys

Just got a TV for the front room which is mostly used for me to play the Xbox whilst the boss saps her souls with the endless stream of soaps and reality shows.

Anyway, I got a new Samsung and I noticed it was 50hz, I was reading the reviews o n it and someone said it was worth getting the model up as the 100hz is best for gaming?

However reading around there seems to be a lot of conflicting information.

I read that 100hz is worst for gaming as all a TV does is upscale the 50hz and that causes lag and on fast paced games can be an issue.

any TV experts can point me in the correct direction please?

10 Comments

Can't really give you any technical advice, but I'm on a 27" Monitor/HD TV 60Hz 5ms lag (10ms in actuality) and I own at Call of Duty 4 on PS3. So I can't really see how it's causing me any problems.

Also people say PC players are much better than console players due to mouse/keyboard being better tailored (Which I partially agree on) but I've been playing Ghost Recon Online PC beta using a 360 pad against k/m players and I've been getting 1st place on my team quite a lot.

Overall I'd say from general experience that it doesn't cause issues. Hope this helps.

EDIT: Upon reading up, in short 100Hz isn't needed because the effect will be interpolated (faked) by the TV and can sometimes be worse than 50Hz if it's implemented poorly. There are only a select few TV's (but mainly monitors) that can actually do real 120Hz. In short, Id DEFINITELY stick with the 50Hz.

Besides even if you had a high end TV that did do 120Hz you're playing on an Xbox 360, games are mostly running at 30fps, with the odd exception of stuff like COD going UP TO 60fps. So you'd 60Hz would be the most ideal for you, anything more would be wasted unless you got a PC where games can go higher than 60fps.

Edited by: "JamesClark1991" 20th Aug 2012

What you've heard is correct. However, on any sensible TV, 100Hz or otherwise, you will find a Gaming mode that disables these superfluous processing modes and brings the performance back up to scratch. Your best bet is to simply search for reviews that list input lag specs. AVForums reviews usually have them. At 60Hz, 16.7ms lag is as good as possible, and the closer you can get to that, the snappier game response will be.
Edited by: "dxx" 20th Aug 2012

Original Poster

Thx guys, glad I did not pay the extra now, as it was over £130 more for the 100hz

Aeschylus

Thx guys, glad I did not pay the extra now, as it was over £130 more for … Thx guys, glad I did not pay the extra now, as it was over £130 more for the 100hz

Well avoided! It would've been wasted money, I read up a bit more, You should re-read my comment to clarify things

JamesClark1991

Well avoided! It would've been wasted money, I read up a bit more, You … Well avoided! It would've been wasted money, I read up a bit more, You should re-read my comment to clarify things

I re-read it.

Have you actually seen any TVs that'll accept a 120Hz input? I've been casually browsing the TV market myself these past few days, and it's something that's continued to elude me.

Edit: Turns out, they don't exist. There are a few high-end rear-projection Mitsubishi TVs that'll do it, but they cost thousands. Seems 120Hz only goes as high as 24", which is kind-of balls.
Edited by: "dxx" 20th Aug 2012

what about this necdisplay.com/p/l…avt

or does it specifically have to mention input

dontasciime

what about this … what about this http://www.necdisplay.com/p/large--screen%20-displays/p551-avt or does it specifically have to mention input

It only takes a 60Hz input, it says in the manual. It's also £3000. I was hoping for something with fewer zeroes.

dxx

It only takes a 60Hz input, it says in the manual. It's also £3000. I was … It only takes a 60Hz input, it says in the manual. It's also £3000. I was hoping for something with fewer zeroes.

what page I looked but maybe I just like the pictures :lol

http://i.imgur.com/CiN2l.png

Or rather I just searched pdf for 120hz when I really should have also typed 60hz

http://i.imgur.com/3EOAp.png

This any better

http://i.imgur.com/3U8V8.png

Edited by: "dontasciime" 20th Aug 2012

The refresh rate of the screen is completely independent of input lag. For gaming its best to get the minimum input lag even if that is a screen with a low refresh rate. I'd rather have a display that reacts fast to the joystick but was jerky on panning shots than some high refresh tv that created a lot of input lag.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants