Best shed paint

Posted 17th Jun
Hello, I've received many useful answers before so I would appreciate any recommendations for the best shed paint. Also, is one coat enough on the shed? thanks.
Community Updates
Ask
17 Comments
Just bought some Cuprinol ducksback to do mine
seems well revieww
I’ll be doing 2 coats
I've just removed a shed from my garden that the last owner installed himself about 20+ years ago. It wasn't rotten at all and he had coated it in wickes creosote as I found the container after 8 years living here

So i'd recommend that.
Edited by: "J4GG4" 17th Jun
Sikkens Cetol HLS Plus
Sikkens Cetol Filter 7 Plus
Edited by: "snappyfish" 17th Jun
Spirit/solvent based stuff,
Really soaks in to the wood unlike water based that mostly sits on the surface.

Example below but available at most hardware or diy stores.

toolstation.com/woo…006

barrettinepro.co.uk/25/…ive
Edited by: "ScubaDudes" 18th Jun
Cuprinol ducksback Autumn gold.
£14 wickes
£10 B&M/B&Q if you get it in store
zworld17/06/2020 23:10

Cuprinol ducksback Autumn gold.£14 wickes£10 B&M/B&Q if you get it in s …Cuprinol ducksback Autumn gold.£14 wickes£10 B&M/B&Q if you get it in store

You defo need 2 coats with Cuprinol, so be sure to buy enough
J4GG417/06/2020 21:57

I've just removed a shed from my garden that the last owner installed …I've just removed a shed from my garden that the last owner installed himself about 20+ years ago. It wasn't rotten at all and he had coated it in wickes creosote as I found the container after 8 years living here So i'd recommend that.

Yes a shed will last many years if it's coated in creosote but unfortunately since 2003 the general public can't buy it no more because it's really toxic and also carcinogenic, you can now buy a substitute like similar named 'creocote' that they make to look and smell similar but it's nowhere as good.
As previously mentioned Cuprinol ducksback is what I recently used and after two coats the water does indeed bead of the shed.
Edited by: "PaulandPam" 18th Jun
PaulandPam18/06/2020 07:52

Yes a shed will last many years if it's coated in creosote but …Yes a shed will last many years if it's coated in creosote but unfortunately since 2003 the general public can't buy it no more because it's really toxic and also carcinogenic, you can now buy a substitute like similar named 'creocote' that they make to look and smell similar but it's nowhere as good.As previously mentioned Cuprinol ducksback is what I recently used and after two coats the water does indeed bead of the shed.

Used engine oil, however like the real creosote it's a no-no these days (but it's easier to get hold of ).
Edited by: "u664541" 18th Jun
Have just re-painted my shed after 10 years. It had had 2 coats of Ducksback on it and would have gone another year if I had wanted it to.
I used barn paint on mine looks great bedec barn paint
snappyfish17/06/2020 22:07

Sikkens Cetol HLS PlusSikkens Cetol Filter 7 Plus

In regards to comments here this was on my mind. Couldn't find it last night but here you go.

ukworkshop.co.uk/for…tml
Edited by: "snappyfish" 18th Jun
snappyfish17/06/2020 22:07

Sikkens Cetol HLS PlusSikkens Cetol Filter 7 Plus

I spent ages, months to sand down my log cabin to remove a few coats of cuprinol shades, awful stuff. Now put Sikkens Cetol HLS/7 on. Only problem is the cost, I saw some tins for £80 each
splatsplatsplat18/06/2020 13:36

I spent ages, months to sand down my log cabin to remove a few coats of …I spent ages, months to sand down my log cabin to remove a few coats of cuprinol shades, awful stuff. Now put Sikkens Cetol HLS/7 on. Only problem is the cost, I saw some tins for £80 each

I did mine 3 years ago Still looks same with sikkens.

Only issues it was built by monkey's who didn't know what they were doing. And mine leaks as horizontal logs open as wasn't level.

Bow I gotta spend a fortune cladding it
snappyfish18/06/2020 13:47

I did mine 3 years ago Still looks same with sikkens.Only issues it was …I did mine 3 years ago Still looks same with sikkens.Only issues it was built by monkey's who didn't know what they were doing. And mine leaks as horizontal logs open as wasn't level.Bow I gotta spend a fortune cladding it

You didn't buy it from Gardenbuildingsdirect did you? I bought a billyoh from them, wish I didn't.
splatsplatsplat18/06/2020 13:55

You didn't buy it from Gardenbuildingsdirect did you? I bought a billyoh …You didn't buy it from Gardenbuildingsdirect did you? I bought a billyoh from them, wish I didn't.

No, I didn't buy from them. I purchased from Skinners sheds who have zero customer service. Just look at there reviews.

7ommy.7818/06/2020 10:15

I used barn paint on mine looks great bedec barn paint

I heard this is good also.
Edited by: "snappyfish" 19th Jun
Do you want your shed to just look pretty, or do you want it to last so you never have to buy another?
If its the latter then buy a gallon of Creocote or similar, there are several makes available, and add 25-30% of old engine oil to it, and paint it with that, repeat every 5 years or so, and I guarantee your shed will never rot.
Post a comment
@
    Text