Best silent fan? (if expensive surely want 5 yr warranty?)

Found 31st May
it's bloody hot at night and think its time i invest in a more pricy fan that is not so loud and effective, dyson look good but 330£ for 2 year warranty seems very unfair, is there somewhere who do extended for this or altenerative products?
Community Updates
Ask
15 Comments
Unless you have already done so, it is worth trying a normal fan first.

I soon zone out to the sound of a fan.

£15 as opposed to £330....

If you don't get used to it, you can soon use the fan elsewhere, so it is not £15 wasted.
hottoast6 m ago

Unless you have already done so, it is worth trying a normal fan first.I …Unless you have already done so, it is worth trying a normal fan first.I soon zone out to the sound of a fan.£15 as opposed to £330....If you don't get used to it, you can soon use the fan elsewhere, so it is not £15 wasted.

I doo and I do find noise fine I suppose, not quite powerful enough I'd imagine if I get more power one it will be louder
Wow I’d forgot they are that expensive! My air con unit was much less than that, I run it an Hour or so before bed and the room gets down to 16-18 degrees i leave it off all night then
A fan simply moves air. It does not provide cooling but may provide a cooling effect via evaporation (perspiration), although it also adds to the heat load in the area it is used. Maybe direct the fan over a bucket of ice cubes, assuming the freezer that created the ice cubes is not in the same room as the required cooling effect...
How about noise cancelling earphones or something? I have some and blocks out the sound pretty well
Always go for the cheapest option first, keep your existing fan and try some earplugs.
Ceiling fan? - they are very quite (so long as the balance is ok) and move a large scale gentle breeze throughout - not sure if it's still a permissible DIY job though.
A tower fan should be quieter: screwfix.com/p/t…150

The blades smaller but longer and spin around on an axis, probably wont be as powerful as a large blade normal fan though.

*edit: The honywell has good reviews and is only 35db on the quietest setting: amazon.co.uk/dp/…_it
Edited by: "Bigfootpete" 1st Jun
Anyone snore in your house? The fan may not be the only noise pollution threat
I've got a couple of these, although they're not silent they're pretty good: tesco.com/dir…891
A large bladed ceiling fan should be the quietest if you've got the ceiling height for one, will likely require an earth which older lighting circuits don't have.

A tower fan (cross flow fan) would be a good alternative. The one I have is quite quiet provided it is not run at full power, and give a smooth steady airflow, with none of buffeting you get from high power desk/pedestal axial fans that Dyson made such a a big thing about in his advertising.

In either case the larger and more powerful the fan, the better as it will be quieter run at low speed that a small fan run flat out.

If you are seriously considering forking out Dyson fan money, I'd suggest buying an air conditioning unit instead.
Edited by: "melted" 1st Jun
I would buy an proper aircon unit if you have enough money. Seen cheaper ones for about £600 but that's pennies over the years you're going to use it
costco.co.uk/Coo…011

Saw this in Costco yesterday and it was really quiet, great thing about them is if you're not happy their returns policy is excellent.

However i do not know what the warranty is on it. My son and myself went right up to it and you really couldn't hear the fan much at all
adhkarzf3 m ago

www.costco.co.uk/Cooling-Fans/NSA-Eco-Pedestal-Fan-SFDC-40101RCI/p/401011Saw this in Costco yesterday and it was really quiet, great thing about them is if you're not happy their returns policy is excellent. However i do not know what the warranty is on it. My son and myself went right up to it and you really couldn't hear the fan much at all

Just checked it has a 12 month warranty
Best silent fan ...........got to be a West Bromwich Albion fan lol
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants