Best SIM for California Trip?

Found 7th Aug
Hi,

Off to US for 12 days, roaming on my regular SIM looks expensive, any tips or tricks for most economic way to use data (mostly)?

TIA
Community Updates
Ask
9 Comments
Buy a 3 PAYG sim. Take an addon (£10 gives 1GB, £15 gives 5GB) - three.co.uk/Sup…ffs. Only downside is you only get 3G instead of 4G, but in my experience it has been ok for general stuff such as gps, emails, social media etc.
2nd a 3 sim -went to states last year Missus on 3 made Free calls and texts apart from when we crossed the border to Canada!
I've been with EE for quite a while on one of their Max plans, it's just under £15 a month for 12GB data and its unlimited everything in EU countries plus six other ones include the USA.
Do you want to call uk numbers whilst thereor American numbers?.
I want kids to be able to call us within US, we'll be on hols with them.I think data is the biggest potential expense, calls back to UK minimal.
Edited by: "johntugwell" 7th Aug
johntugwell1 h, 47 m ago

I want kids to be able to call us within US, we'll be on hols with them.I …I want kids to be able to call us within US, we'll be on hols with them.I think data is the biggest potential expense, calls back to UK minimal.

Get a three free data sim and add credit like in post 1, we have used it across the US even good enough 3G speeds for FaceTime when driving obviously I wasn’t doing it when driving, been in hotels where the WiFi couldn’t even give us a decent connection for FaceTimein the hotel room. We have 4 sims for keeping in touch when we are there.
Edited by: "eslick" 7th Aug
Thanks for all your replies, we're going to get some 3 sims and give them a go.

Have a good day!
johntugwell1 h, 21 m ago

Thanks for all your replies, we're going to get some 3 sims and give them …Thanks for all your replies, we're going to get some 3 sims and give them a go.Have a good day!

I took '3' sims to Florida this May and they worked well for data and calls to UK. Just wished I could have used the sim's for phoning USA numbers whilst there (e.g local restaurants etc.) but it is very expensive.
paulj482 h, 48 m ago

I took '3' sims to Florida this May and they worked well for data and …I took '3' sims to Florida this May and they worked well for data and calls to UK. Just wished I could have used the sim's for phoning USA numbers whilst there (e.g local restaurants etc.) but it is very expensive.

For such things we use tesco calling app - this allows you to make calls via internet and was pretty cheap (around 1p a min for local USA calls)
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants