Best sim free Android Phone for around £100

Found 1st Sep 2017
Daughter is looking for a phone for her Birthday, she wants an iPhone which just is not going to happen.

I politely told her straight that she can deal with crap android phones until she gets a job and can buy herself an iPhone.

So, a few budget android handsets seem to have come out recently.

What's the best of them, any recommendations? Obviously at around the £100 mark I do not expect a flagship phone with premium features, but would prefer to get the best budget model around.

Please no suggestions of buying from other countries etc.

1. Ask
Groups
  1. Ask
16 Comments

If you're willing to push to £150 you may have more options. I always suggest Moto G4/5 but you could get an Xiaomi.

If you're really insistent on sticking around the £100 mark however, there is the Moto E4 for £109.

An entire list here

Shame you wont order from Aliexpress.
The Global Xiaomi Note 4, is an amazing phone for £115 cannot be beaten in that price range

Original Poster

Dolphinzz20 h, 56 m ago

If you're willing to push to £150 you may have more options. I always …If you're willing to push to £150 you may have more options. I always suggest Moto G4/5 but you could get an Xiaomi.If you're really insistent on sticking around the £100 mark however, there is the Moto E4 for £109.An entire list here

Thanks for the link, I'll take the look. Unfortunately she does not tend to look after her electronics so really don't want to go much over £100.

Original Poster

Sandy10128 m ago

Shame you wont order from Aliexpress.The Global Xiaomi Note 4, is an …Shame you wont order from Aliexpress.The Global Xiaomi Note 4, is an amazing phone for £115 cannot be beaten in that price range

I've been burned in the past by the tax man for ordering overseas, so try to avoid it wherever possible.

Why not get iPhone off ebay. Can get S/H 5s for around £100

Original Poster

ericdouglasshaw23 m ago

Why not get iPhone off ebay. Can get S/H 5s for around £100

Yeah, I thought about that. The 5s is still a pretty good phone, certainly beats the entry level Android phones in terms of benchmarks and despite being 4 years old can run the latest version of iOS whereas most new Android phones don't come with the latest version of Android.

Will give it to her as an option, although the Moto E4 seems ok for an entry level device.

david_robinson9458 m ago

Thanks for the link, I'll take the look. Unfortunately she does not tend …Thanks for the link, I'll take the look. Unfortunately she does not tend to look after her electronics so really don't want to go much over £100.

Then why get her a phone at all if she won't look after it? Get a basic one and teach her a lesson

Original Poster

Dolphinzz25 m ago

Then why get her a phone at all if she won't look after it? Get a basic …Then why get her a phone at all if she won't look after it? Get a basic one and teach her a lesson

It's her Birthday.

david_robinson9423 m ago

It's her Birthday.

I got basic phones when it was my birthday. Anything above £50 I paid for (minus a blackberry that got handed down to me from my stepmum). It taught me to save. Just making a suggestion.

Anyways, I would suggest the Moto E4. Reliable and at your price range (£109 on Amazon, £119 elsewhere).

Are you considering pre-owned phones at all? There's more options if so.

If you're ok with refurbished, Amazon Warehouse has decent deals on the Moto G4/ G4 Plus. I'd much rather have a 'lightly used' one of those than an E4. They tend to be very conservative with the description, all the phones I've got from there have been in better condition than what they are described as.

Original Poster

Dolphinzz20 h, 39 m ago

I got basic phones when it was my birthday. Anything above £50 I paid for …I got basic phones when it was my birthday. Anything above £50 I paid for (minus a blackberry that got handed down to me from my stepmum). It taught me to save. Just making a suggestion. Anyways, I would suggest the Moto E4. Reliable and at your price range (£109 on Amazon, £119 elsewhere).Are you considering pre-owned phones at all? There's more options if so.

It's her 18th, so she gets more than usual. Sadly Amazon have just pushed the price to £119.

david_robinson9424 m ago

It's her 18th, so she gets more than usual. Sadly Amazon have just pushed …It's her 18th, so she gets more than usual. Sadly Amazon have just pushed the price to £119.

Aw no I would seriously suggest getting a preowned then, as I'm finding it next to impossible to find a decent one around £100 for you. But even then, the Moto E4 seems to be out of stock.

Moto G4 is a good one for used but also more than £100 used.
Edited by: "Dolphinzz" 3rd Sep 2017

Original Poster

Dolphinzz20 m ago

Aw no I would seriously suggest getting a preowned then, as I'm …Aw no I would seriously suggest getting a preowned then, as I'm finding it next to impossible to find a decent one around £100 for you. But even then, the Moto E4 seems to be out of stock. Moto G4 is a good one for used but also more than £100 used.

Made a deal with her, she is getting the Moto E4 Plus from John Lewis, but is paying towards it.

Told her it was tough love!
Edited by: "david_robinson94" 3rd Sep 2017

david_robinson9423 h, 41 m ago

I've been burned in the past by the tax man for ordering overseas, so try …I've been burned in the past by the tax man for ordering overseas, so try to avoid it wherever possible.

I've never been hit but is it just luck?

I've ordered 4 phones always by regular mail. It arrives in an EU country like Holland before getting sent onto the UK so the UK customs don't check (as much?) Get it sent via fast shipping it comes directly into the UK and customs know to check every package as it's easy pickings.

My last phone Ulefone Power 2 arrived in 2.5 weeks, no charges.

My only worry is faulty goods. It may be a nightmare sending it back but so far I have been lucky.

I think every HUKD has a unique threshold for buying from China. £125 for a phone is a lot of money for me but you get a lot of phone for that price. I'd reckon you get twice or 3x the specs for the same price from China.

I think you should at least consider it

david_robinson941 h, 51 m ago

Made a deal with her, she is getting the Moto E4 Plus from John Lewis, but …Made a deal with her, she is getting the Moto E4 Plus from John Lewis, but is paying towards it.Told her it was tough love!

Paying towards it may help her in learning to not damage her stuff anyway and it's nice to hear a decision has been made now

Original Poster

GlentoranMark19 h, 58 m ago

I've never been hit but is it just luck?I've ordered 4 phones always by …I've never been hit but is it just luck?I've ordered 4 phones always by regular mail. It arrives in an EU country like Holland before getting sent onto the UK so the UK customs don't check (as much?) Get it sent via fast shipping it comes directly into the UK and customs know to check every package as it's easy pickings.My last phone Ulefone Power 2 arrived in 2.5 weeks, no charges.My only worry is faulty goods. It may be a nightmare sending it back but so far I have been lucky.I think every HUKD has a unique threshold for buying from China. £125 for a phone is a lot of money for me but you get a lot of phone for that price. I'd reckon you get twice or 3x the specs for the same price from China.I think you should at least consider it

I tend to buy cheap tat off of eBay, the £1-5 kind of items that my Mrs thinks she needs such as ribbon etc, but avoid anything expensive from China.

I do it for a mix of reasons, most of which most people probably won't be too woried about such as I think it is right that I pay tax on items I buy, I prefer to know that the electronic item in question is fully certified for the UK market.

When I refer to being stung in the past by the tax man, I received a hefty bill for an electronic device that my son ordered via eBay, it would have been cheaper and far quicker to have just bought the darn thing from the shops out here.

I appreceiate that many people save money by ordering directly from the manufacturers in China and understand their reasons, just not for me.
Post a comment
@
    Text