Expired

Best sofa retailer?

Found 15th Feb 2014
Hello all! I'm in the market for a new sofa but I'm not overly familiar with the market. I've seen a lot of people slating DFS and SCS and the like so I'm not really sure where to shop that offers good value. I don't want cheap rubbish that'll be uncomfortable but at the same time I really don't want to shell out a small mortgage on a designer label that's just OK. Any tips? Thanks!
Shared Via The HUKD App For Android.

1. Ask
  2. Sofa
Groups
  1. Ask
  2. Sofa
18 Comments

We were really happy with ours from SCS. The sofa is lovely and comfortable and good quality. We were happy with the customer service and delivery too. Also these bigger (cheap-ish) companies can be quite flexible on price and freebies if you ask. We managed to get quite a good deal by standing our ground.

I would wait until the sales have started if i was you !

We bought from SCS about seven years ago and are still happy with the sofas. We're all on the large size and the recliners haven't complained at all.
Remember that you are far more likely to find bad experiences online than good ones. And you will find most for DFS purely because they sell the most sofas.

Geordie Sofas

We bought our leather suite from DFS approx 13/14 yrs ago and it still looks and feels like new. Its had both children, from babies to teens all over it, numerous things spilt on it and has lasted us brilliantly. It wasn't cheap at the time but definitely money well spent.

Try to find a small company with a good reputation, most of the big companies import their stuff from China these days.

we got our sofas from dfs 2 years ago and they are brilliant, excellent service too

I would never buy from scs again had a delay in delivery so had to wait 18 weeks for delivery went without anything to sit on for 8 weeks due to the cock up very worried we would have nothing to sit on for Christmas then when it arrived they damaged door getting in house broke a lampshade which wasn't compensated within a fortnight one of the seats needed new cushion in seating had to wait for it to be ordered in when it came 2 week later they had ordered wrong size so had to wait again within 4 months the same seat had gone again but couldn't be bothered with the hassle so now have a saggy seat

michelle2306

I would never buy from scs again had a delay in delivery so had to wait … I would never buy from scs again had a delay in delivery so had to wait 18 weeks for delivery went without anything to sit on for 8 weeks due to the cock up very worried we would have nothing to sit on for Christmas then when it arrived they damaged door getting in house broke a lampshade which wasn't compensated within a fortnight one of the seats needed new cushion in seating had to wait for it to be ordered in when it came 2 week later they had ordered wrong size so had to wait again within 4 months the same seat had gone again but couldn't be bothered with the hassle so now have a saggy seat

It would take less than 1 hour to fully rectify your sagging seats on all your suite, using a cmhr 39/200 2" foam seat boost and the seats will stay plump.

Tips:
DO NOT buy a suite with hollow fibre interiors, if there is a foam upgrade TAKE IT. or buy a foam cushion suite.
Anything that has hollow fibres will require daily maintenance NOT weekly or occasional DAILY!
Harveys charge for a service call, so any problems you pay before they arrange a visit, if the engineer deems its not manufacturing fault you lose your money!!!
SCS use there own employees / upholsterers so they are committed to the relevant companies not freelance like Harveys, Fyrniture village.
CSL now Sofaworks changed name possibly after being slated on tv last year on a couple of occasions, generally poor service.
DFS imo offer the best warranties FREE 10 year structural ( wood frame ) the leather warranty for 5 yrs you pay for otherwise its 2yrs across foam / leather and 10 yrs on frame

rtmlk

Tips:DO NOT buy a suite with hollow fibre interiors, if there is a foam … Tips:DO NOT buy a suite with hollow fibre interiors, if there is a foam upgrade TAKE IT. or buy a foam cushion suite.Anything that has hollow fibres will require daily maintenance NOT weekly or occasional DAILY!Harveys charge for a service call, so any problems you pay before they arrange a visit, if the engineer deems its not manufacturing fault you lose your money!!!SCS use there own employees / upholsterers so they are committed to the relevant companies not freelance like Harveys, Fyrniture village.CSL now Sofaworks changed name possibly after being slated on tv last year on a couple of occasions, generally poor service.DFS imo offer the best warranties FREE 10 year structural ( wood frame ) the leather warranty for 5 yrs you pay for otherwise its 2yrs across foam / leather and 10 yrs on frame

Very good advice.....(_;)

Asda direct, just got mine with foam custions and it is excellent

rtmlk

It would take less than 1 hour to fully rectify your sagging seats on all … It would take less than 1 hour to fully rectify your sagging seats on all your suite, using a cmhr 39/200 2" foam seat boost and the seats will stay plump.

Not 100% sure it's the foam or frame that is the problem as all other seats are ok and get sat on a lot more it does seem softer to sit on than the other seats has from day 1 and it leans/ sags to one side

We had our ikea sofa for 8 years until it broke when the children were jumping on it, quality was great as was the price.

Go to an independent manufacturer. A friend of mine had a replica done of a very high end sofa. He ended up paying less for a better quality product.

I got mine from an independent Scouse company called Sofaland who were excellent

Bought mine from DFS, its just so easy, walk in, sit on one you like and buy it.

Job done in 10 minutes! 2 week delivery!

Original Poster

Thanks for all the advice. I guess you get what you pay for wherever you go. I don't use leather as I'm veggie (no trolling please) but appreciate the heads up on the foam/hollowfibre. I guess the main thing I get from the replies is I'm unlikely to be gravely disappointed if I buy from a major retailer. Just need to find the right size and design now!
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions