best spec gaming laptop from these two please?

Found 20th Dec 2017Edited by:"naomi_Carr"
needing a gaming laptop for son that needs to play up to date pc games from overwatch to sims 4.

argos £679. Acer Nitro 5 15.6 In FX9830 8GB 128GB 1TB RX550 Laptop
  • AMD FX-9830P quad core processor.
  • 3GHz processor speed.
  • 8GB RAM DDR4.
  • and 1TB HDD and 128 SSD storage.
  • Hard drive speed 5400RPM.
  • Microsoft Windows 10.
Display features:

• 15.6 inch screen.
  • High definition display.
  • Resolution 1920 x 1080 pixels.
Graphics:

• RX 550 graphics card with 4GB RAM GDDR5.
  • Shared graphics card.
  • Dedicated graphics card.
Interfaces and connectivity:

• SD media card reader.
  • Secure Digital (SD), .
  • 2 USB 2.0 ports.
  • 1 USB 3.0 port.
  • 1 USB 3.1 port.
  • 1 USB Type-C port.
  • 1 Ethernet port.
  • 1 HDMI port.
  • Bluetooth.
  • Wi-Fi enabled.
Multimedia features:

• HD webcam.
  • Built-in mic.
  • Dolby sound system.
General features:

• Up to 6 hours battery life.
  • Size H2.68, W39, D26.6cm.
  • Weight 2.7kg.
  • EAN: 4713883298414.

option 2 acer uk.
acer nitro 5 an515-51 about £605 with cash back and voucher code.
  • Windows 10 Home
  • Intel® Core™ i5-7300HQ processor Quad-core 2.50 GHz
  • 39.6 cm (15.6") Full HD (1920 x 1080) 16:9
  • NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 1050 with 4 GB Dedicated Memory
  • 8 GB, DDR4 SDRAM
  • 1 TB HDD

please can you techies offer some advice, thanks
Community Updates
Ask
15 Comments
I'd go with option 2. The GTX 1050 outperforms the RX 550, as would it seem the Intel CPU vs the AMD alternative.
Thank you it's a mine field when it comes to gaming laptops
NaomiCarr-b2ce2.2463925 m ago

Thank you it's a mine field when it comes to gaming laptops

Be warned - neither of those two would really count as "gaming" laptops. They'll play what you intend them to, but for performance you'd be better off with a desktop at your budget.
Thanks for advice it's for my 10 yr old son as a starter gaming one.
For 600-700 a laptop with a gtx 1050 is a much better purchase, see if you can find one of those.
adamkaty1 h, 7 m ago

For 600-700 a laptop with a gtx 1050 is a much better purchase, see if you …For 600-700 a laptop with a gtx 1050 is a much better purchase, see if you can find one of those.

Like the option two they have listed per chance.
Simply the best resource for deciding on what laptop to get it notebookcheck.net.

Use this for graphics cards

says 1050 is better than a RX 550 and even a RX 560, so go with option 2

Use this for processors

says i5 is much better than 9830 so option 2 again

Just a shame option two doesn't come with an SSD.
Option two is a cracking laptop for the price and I'm sure he'll be very happy.
Oh thank you your all very helpful
MIDURIX2 h, 38 m ago

Simply the best resource for deciding on what laptop to get it …Simply the best resource for deciding on what laptop to get it notebookcheck.net.Use this for graphics cardssays 1050 is better than a RX 550 and even a RX 560, so go with option 2Use this for processorssays i5 is much better than 9830 so option 2 againJust a shame option two doesn't come with an SSD.

They do have one with ssd on their Web page with the limited time discount but think it's nearer a grand.
NaomiCarr-b2ce2.2463916 m ago

They do have one with ssd on their Web page with the limited time discount …They do have one with ssd on their Web page with the limited time discount but think it's nearer a grand.

A 128GB SSD is worth about £40 so that wouldn't be a good idea, just a shame one isn't included with the second option.
Notebockcheck is a good place to start. Take a look at benchmarks for specific games.

Wouldn't worry about the ssd, the prices should keep falling and capacities rising and it's quite simple to upgrade a hard drive. Concentrate on getting a good gpu and cpu. Those can't be upgraded normally on laptops.

Also have to say it's way better to get a proper gaming desktop, esp if you know someone who can build one.
bjrosl7 h, 20 m ago

Notebockcheck is a good place to start. Take a look at benchmarks for …Notebockcheck is a good place to start. Take a look at benchmarks for specific games.Wouldn't worry about the ssd, the prices should keep falling and capacities rising and it's quite simple to upgrade a hard drive. Concentrate on getting a good gpu and cpu. Those can't be upgraded normally on laptops.Also have to say it's way better to get a proper gaming desktop, esp if you know someone who can build one.

Thanks. Unfortunately we don't know anyone who can build pcs. Think in a few years time we will go down desktop route if he's still into it. I'm new to all this only use to surfing the net, online shopping, office for uni assignments etc. Gaming seems to be a totally different world 😃
forget what everyone is saying - a 1050 at 1080p will be fine. you might not get max settings on everything but it is more than capable for the price.

2nd one is a good buy
NaomiCarr-b2ce2.246393 h, 34 m ago

Thanks. Unfortunately we don't know anyone who can build pcs. Think in a …Thanks. Unfortunately we don't know anyone who can build pcs. Think in a few years time we will go down desktop route if he's still into it. I'm new to all this only use to surfing the net, online shopping, office for uni assignments etc. Gaming seems to be a totally different world 😃

Ask around, you'll likely be surprised. Lots of people have built their own pcs. You must know some people who are into computers. Perhaps you could ask at the IT dept at your school/uni/work place.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants