Best sub £400 laptop?

Posted 27th Jul
Looking for a laptop that's sub £400. For general browsing (no gaming of course), youtube videos, facebook ect.

Something with a 14 inch screen or lower.

Doesn't really need a decent battery as I always have it plugged in.

Ideally a decent brand/warranty.

The budget of £400 is strict and would ideally be looking lower than that.

Suggestions?
Community Updates
Ask
14 Comments
I would just go for a Chromebook, if that's all u need it for. You can pick them up cheap, well under £400
tardytortoise27/07/2020 19:33

Not a lot of change to a similar ask …Not a lot of change to a similar ask yesterdayhttps://www.hotukdeals.com/discussions/best-laptops-under-400-3512467

considering no deals were really discussed there at all I'm not sure that's much help overall tbh
sienew27/07/2020 19:40

considering no deals were really discussed there at all I'm not sure …considering no deals were really discussed there at all I'm not sure that's much help overall tbh

I give in! I thought you were looking for a laptop under £400 or are you just looking for a deal?
What is so difficult in typing into a search engine "best laptops under £400 uk 2020" ?
I'm sorry you did not like my suggestion? If I had said Model XYZ with extra double bubbles at 10% discount from laptipsRduff, would you have preferred that?
tardytortoise28/07/2020 08:40

I give in! I thought you were looking for a laptop under £400 or are you …I give in! I thought you were looking for a laptop under £400 or are you just looking for a deal?What is so difficult in typing into a search engine "best laptops under £400 uk 2020" ?I'm sorry you did not like my suggestion? If I had said Model XYZ with extra double bubbles at 10% discount from laptipsRduff, would you have preferred that?

Well considering this is hotukDEALS I thought it was obvious that a deal would be nice. I could walk into PC World and pick up a laptop for £400, the entire point of this site is to find something that is of great value, not just everyday prices.
sienew28/07/2020 09:57

Well considering this is hotukDEALS I thought it was obvious that a deal …Well considering this is hotukDEALS I thought it was obvious that a deal would be nice. I could walk into PC World and pick up a laptop for £400, the entire point of this site is to find something that is of great value, not just everyday prices.

Exactly, and the last time I looked there were over 22,000 laptop deals on this site
hotukdeals.com/tag…e=2
I only needed to go down to page 2 to find one under £400
BUT a good deal does not mean a good laptop or for that matter good value. There are lots of sites who have done all the hard work for you; just a case of narrowing down a few contenders and then preferably test driving before you buy. How can you tell whether a screen or keyboard suits purely on the strength of a recommended deal.
With £400 I would buy this refurb
morgancomputers.co.uk/pro…al/
- and that is a good deal - but you just might find it cheaper elsewhere but no necessarilly from a better outlet.
Edited by: "tardytortoise" 28th Jul
tardytortoise28/07/2020 13:01

Exactly, and the last time I looked there were over 22,000 laptop deals on …Exactly, and the last time I looked there were over 22,000 laptop deals on this sitehttps://www.hotukdeals.com/tag/laptop?page=2I only needed to go down to page 2 to find one under £400BUT a good deal does not mean a good laptop or for that matter good value. There are lots of sites who have done all the hard work for you; just a case of narrowing down a few contenders and then preferably test driving before you buy. How can you tell whether a screen or keyboard suits purely on the strength of a recommended deal.With £400 I would buy this refurbhttps://www.morgancomputers.co.uk/product_detail/21580/Lenovo-ThinkPad-T450-14-1-Laptop-Intel-i5-5300U-2-30GHz-Processor-4GB-RAM-180GB-SSD-Webcam-Windows-10-Professional/- and that is a good deal - but you just might find it cheaper elsewhere but no necessarilly from a better outlet.

I'd definitely go for a refurb Thinkpad but for £400 you really need a bigger SSD and 8GB RAM
like this
scan.co.uk/pro…lus
Agreed, that does look like a good deal.
tardytortoise28/07/2020 13:25

Agreed, that does look like a good deal.

Worth it just for the free Scan Baseball cap.
scan.co.uk/pro…e-u

We have a pre-Core processor ThinkPad X200 in this house which once a decent SSD was installed still performs well and is near indestructable
does anyone think there are likely to be sub £400 laptops that have 8th ram & 128th see ometime in the future that are brand new and likely to last a few years.not a techie so would want Windows already instalked.thanks
awacko28/07/2020 15:55

does anyone think there are likely to be sub £400 laptops that have 8th …does anyone think there are likely to be sub £400 laptops that have 8th ram & 128th see ometime in the future that are brand new and likely to last a few years.not a techie so would want Windows already instalked.thanks

box.co.uk/82C…801
spruceyb28/07/2020 16:27

https://www.box.co.uk/82C70004UK-Lenovo-V15_2928663.html?wgp=13045&utm_source=redbrain,webgains_196673&utm_medium=shopping,webgains&utm_campaign=css,affiliate&wgu=13045_196673_15959498018187_dbe17be310&wgexpiry=1603725801

thanks,are Box a reliable company for customer service ? it's not one of I've really heard of before.without wanting to sound cheeky is lenovo a good make and are these sort of laptops usually reliable and fairly easy to use ?
Edited by: "awacko" 29th Jul
awacko29/07/2020 08:35

thanks,are Box a reliable company for customer service ? it's not one of …thanks,are Box a reliable company for customer service ? it's not one of I've really heard of before.without wanting to sound cheeky is lenovo a good make and are these sort of laptops usually reliable and fairly easy to use ?

Box have a 4.1/5 on TrustPilot, so pretty decent company.

Lenovo are pretty decent but any sub £400 laptop you're gonna be sacrificing on quality, with plastic builds, but should be reliable enough.
spruceyb29/07/2020 11:30

Box have a 4.1/5 on TrustPilot, so pretty decent company.Lenovo are pretty …Box have a 4.1/5 on TrustPilot, so pretty decent company.Lenovo are pretty decent but any sub £400 laptop you're gonna be sacrificing on quality, with plastic builds, but should be reliable enough.

Thanks for this
Edited by: "awacko" 29th Jul
Post a comment
@
    Text