Expired

Best Sub £500 Mountain bike??

Found 9th Aug 2014
Hello All,

I would be grateful if somebody could please offer some advice on a new MTB for sub £500, I have seen a few on Evan's Cycles and I'm not sure which is the best to go for.. I have been looking at the following amongst others, I'm sure there are probably better deals out there if you know what to look for, I don't unfortunately.

The bike will be used for road / cycle paths and then also trail riding / off road stuff..

evanscycles.com/pro…688

paulscycles.co.uk/m1b…013

and following some good reviews on Bike Radar and elsewhere

halfords.com/cyc…-18

the Halfords one seems a great deal but are the others worthy or the higher price tag?

Many Thanks
Community Updates
AskBikeMountain Bike
8 Comments
Why a MTB?
What type of riding do you intend to do?
Original Poster
philphil61

Why a MTB?What type of riding do you intend to do?

Hello Phil,

I plan on doing some off road - footpath riding the local area as well as the local tracks and forest routes
Nothing wrong with MTB i use for my rides which are average 20 miles + a day yes if your doing 50 plus a day or looking to commute quicker then a road bike may better option.

Anyway gave you looked on eBay or Gumtree ? You can ususly get very good deals on used bikes that not been used much that are year old or so.

From my experience I bought a new MTB for £600 a fee years ago which I sold then got back into biking recently and managed to get a ,*MTB just as good for £200 of eBay used

Well worth looking for used bike that's not been used much.
Nothing wrong with MTB i use for my rides which are average 20 miles + a day yes if your doing 50 plus a day or looking to commute quicker then a road bike may better option.

Anyway gave you looked on eBay or Gumtree ? You can ususly get very good deals on used bikes that not been used much that are year old or so.

From my experience I bought a new MTB for £600 a fee years ago which I sold then got back into biking recently and managed to get a ,*MTB just as good for £200 of eBay used

Well worth looking for used bike that's not been used much.
As said above, try and get something decent 2nd hand. The only down side is that you don't know the bikes history and it may need a lot of money spending on it to get it running smoothly again.

However if you would prefer a shiny new one I would look out for the following:
1. Try and get a bike with 9 speed or above rear cassette just to future proof your investment. Most Mountain bikes these days are 10 speed and will probably be phasing out 8 speed and below pretty soon.
2. Shimano hydraulic disc brakes (any model) - currently I find they are the most reliable and in terms of set-up and braking feel. you cant really beat them. Also going hydraulic saves you having to constantly adjust the brake every month or so to compensate for wear.
3. If you want to really use the bike off road avoid the low end SR Suntour forks as they have very little adjustment and in my experience are prone to breaking. Anything made by Rockshox will just work (keep an eye out for a lockout feature which will help for hill climbs or if you just want to ride on the road)
4. Don't worry too much about brand of frame. all bikes around the £500 mark will have very similar frames (probably made out of the same factory anyway!)
5. last of all, get last years model! This time of year is perfect for buying a bike. Most stores/online retailers are trying to make space for the new years bikes which will be arriving within the next few months. Why pay the extra for a 2015 bike that has basically no difference (sometimes a poorer spec) with a different paint job? you will still get your full warranty on an older model too!

A decent bike is the Saracen Mantra pro (which you can currently get under £500), The brand has had a bad name in the past but has recently been bought out and are rebuilding their reputation. Also has a great write up on Bike Radar!
bikeradar.com/mtb…29/

hope this helps!
Edited by: "PhilCook1990" 10th Aug 2014
The newer model of my bike

My bike, although out of stock.

If you searched around, you find older or cheaper model, I'm just giving you an example.

It's great for off road type terrain, coastal paths, forest paths etc. seems ok on the road as well, probably nowhere near as good as a designed road bike.

29" wheels are great, you seem to get more speed, I leave my friends in my dust constantly lol
seems good deal that for £450

yes get 29er I found them quicker than my old 26 bike and this time its not been left in garage I'm on it it every day.

I ride roads a lot on my MTB I would love to get road bike but not got cash at mo so that prob have to be start of next summer but still happy to stick to MTB keeps me fit keeps weight of even having 1-2 beers every other nite or so.

I have a Carrera Vulcan and its Beast, but much prefer a hybrid for long distances.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants