Best suitcase for long haul travel

Found 7th May 2015
I'm going to USA in July, first Nashville then New York and I have 6 flights to catch throughout my stay, some long some short. I need a good suitcase that is sturdy and will last a while. I don't mind the price etc just as long as it is worth it, have been looking at the IT Worlds lightest range, got good reviews at Argos and Tesco, anybody here used it before? Thanks for any suggestions.
Community Updates
AskSuitcase
8 Comments
If you want something that will last, go for a clamshell designed hard case. The wheels need to be recessed. Multiple clasps. Quality luggage is expensive, but my Samsonite is nearly 30 years old and is as sturdy today as when I bought it.
Avoid zips, very easy to break into.
Got a couple of the IT worlds lightest cases . They are indeed extremely light ( 1.2kg) so ideal for budget airlines where a "normal suitcase " can weigh nearly 5kg and take up 30% of your 15kg allowance . Used them on 3 trips (6 flights) so far with no issues .
However I agree with the first answer if cost and weight aren't an issue a good clamshell like a Samsonite would be best in terms of security and durability ,the ITs are made of a thin but strong material over a fibreglass frame so could be easily slit with a knife .
airbus330

If you want something that will last, go for a clamshell designed hard … If you want something that will last, go for a clamshell designed hard case. The wheels need to be recessed. Multiple clasps. Quality luggage is expensive, but my Samsonite is nearly 30 years old and is as sturdy today as when I bought it.Avoid zips, very easy to break into.

woudl agree with avoiding zips if you can and go for clamshell / hard sided case. However the clasp type locks are hard to find now other than high end Samsonite - as mentioned above.

Also as a seasoned business traveller, I would highly recommend getting a four wheel spinner type case - much easier on the arms in airports!

also in teh US - get a case with a TSA lock - they have the keys to open if needed!

I woudl recommend Tripp hard sided cases from Debenhams. My Tripp Holiday range mid size has been on more flights than I can remember, and although battle scarred is still in one peice and still looks in decent condition.

EliTom
Can highly recommend samsonite, my hard case is still going strong 15 years on.
Elitom
Good point in the tsa locks.
I love the 4 wheel cases, as you say, so little effort to push around the terminal and they don't fall over, the big but is, I've seen countless sad single wheels sitting under the baggage belts airside (where they are loaded or I really mean abused by the ramp agents), it's difficult to recommend them for a long term purchase. Nothing more amusing watching a passenger piloting a 3 wheel case!:p
The Tripp cases are good for the money.
Edited by: "airbus330" 7th May 2015
airbus330

ElitomGood point in the tsa locks.I love the 4 wheel cases, as you say, … ElitomGood point in the tsa locks.I love the 4 wheel cases, as you say, so little effort to push around the terminal and they don't fall over, the big but is, I've seen countless sad single wheels sitting under the baggage belts airside (where they are loaded or I really mean abused by the ramp agents), it's difficult to recommend them for a long term purchase. Nothing more amusing watching a passenger piloting a 3 wheel case!:pThe Tripp cases are good for the money.

TBH airbus .... my Tripps have been all over the world including dopey Chinese - big hairy Germans and **** French baggage handlers and all 4 wheels are still intact!

on teh other hand my last last carry on trolley was a German built Titan - bit like Rimowa - and Lufthansa "removed" one wheel the first time it had to go in the hold !

If you google Tripp holiday - there was a Channel 5 show - maybe Gadget Show that did a test of suitcases and the Tripp Holiday won

EliTom
Hi, I love the IT Luggage and have posted a review on you tube....take a look and see if it answers any of your questions.
youtu.be/_2X…jb8
deleted79467
had rimowa 20 years very light and can be repaired not had too yet touch wood not cheap but considering how well they are built seem a good price plus they look great even at 20 years old
buy cheap buy twice
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants