Nintendo Switch advice / accessories + games for latecomer

Posted 19th Sep
Hey all I'm pretty late to the Nintendo Switch party. I just got one a couple of days and don't know where to begin.
I need to get myself a travel case, some good games and a top notch controller.

Can anyone recommend me some solid advice or just some accessories and games that are worth buying.
I'm going to play a lot of smash bros to a high degree so would love a controller that doesn't really have any input lag, as I know some third party controllers can be a bit pants.

I heard putting some covering over your TV Dock can stop the screen scratching, and the joy con's can suffer from "drift" after time. There's probably so much more to learn.

I know there's plenty of you on here who have a switches and wealth of knowledge about what's good, so a few pointers would be great.

Games:
I like RPGs so looking to play the old FFs and square games on here. Love strategy and indie games too, so looking for something that will get me addicted by its awesome gameplay. Not too fussed for graphics.

Thanks in advance
Community Updates
Ask
13 Comments
1 - defo recommend a screen protector for it - just to avoid scratches on the screen - amazon/ebay probably cheapest places but if you need it right away - argos/asda I imagine unless any of the local poundshops sell them..
Following on - there are sleeves for the dock available - I haven't personally used one but have started looking myself now given some reviews recommend them..

2 - this is the case I have - and it's solid enough - but obviously doesn't include space for your charger - but I carry mine in my back pack separately and not had a issue - argos.co.uk/pro…772

3 - controller wise - the pro controller is the best official accessory I believe (can find it on offer every now and then for £45 to £55) - but I got recommended one of these from a mate in work and it works perfectly - had it a few days now and can't fault it -

amazon.co.uk/Wir…WU=
Dock covers - just seen this but waiting to see if anyone has any recommendations here

rover.ebay.com/rov…805
sohailh198419/09/2019 08:43

1 - defo recommend a screen protector for it - just to avoid scratches on …1 - defo recommend a screen protector for it - just to avoid scratches on the screen - amazon/ebay probably cheapest places but if you need it right away - argos/asda I imagine unless any of the local poundshops sell them..Following on - there are sleeves for the dock available - I haven't personally used one but have started looking myself now given some reviews recommend them..2 - this is the case I have - and it's solid enough - but obviously doesn't include space for your charger - but I carry mine in my back pack separately and not had a issue - https://www.argos.co.uk/product/86777723 - controller wise - the pro controller is the best official accessory I believe (can find it on offer every now and then for £45 to £55) - but I got recommended one of these from a mate in work and it works perfectly - had it a few days now and can't fault it - https://www.amazon.co.uk/Wireless-Controller-Diswoe-Bluetooth-Adjustable-black1/dp/B07TRQH45S/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?keywords=diswoe+nintendo+switch&qid=1568878585&sr=8-1-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUEyVjVBSk1EMTNQWUZMJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwNDQ3NTA4MjY1TFpaUllKQktPTyZlbmNyeXB0ZWRBZElkPUEwMzEzNzQ5MlZGTFBUQUJYMFkxUCZ3aWRnZXROYW1lPXNwX2F0ZiZhY3Rpb249Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU=

Thanks for the info dude, that controller seems pretty good. I just had a look at the reviews and it's mostly got 5 stars sounds like it's responsive too, so I think I know what my next investment will be. The sock covers don't seem to expensive either so I'll probably grab one of them too.
Now, to pick your brain about good games to get
Jumpernot19/09/2019 09:29

Thanks for the info dude, that controller seems pretty good. I just had a …Thanks for the info dude, that controller seems pretty good. I just had a look at the reviews and it's mostly got 5 stars sounds like it's responsive too, so I think I know what my next investment will be. The sock covers don't seem to expensive either so I'll probably grab one of them too.Now, to pick your brain about good games to get

Games - Zelda is a must personally and Mario Odyssey - I've pre-ordered Overwatch (digital only) via Shopto after a few folk on here raved about it

I know a few folk here have also recommended various titles like Diablo 3 and Astral Chain - both I'm contemplating getting but don't know enough about them.

Indie wise - not sure personally but this is a decent read..

tomsguide.com/us/…tml
Yeah Zelda is on my to get list, I have borrowed diablo 3 but haven't played it yet so I'll check that out. Been playing overcooked 2 with the missus and caining smash. I haven't heard of astral chain I'll look into that. Just saw the back catalogue of snes and nes games too, looks like we're spoiled for choice!
For the case try Tesco. I picked up a hard back case with slots for 4 games for 7.50.

Also from Nintendo shop download the nes/SNES emulators. Love playing the old games
If you're an RPG person I'd recommend Octopath Traveller and Ni No Kuni. I'd also recommend Slay the Spire. Card based RPG where you build a deck as you go. My husband introduced me to it and it's very addictive.
BilzR19/09/2019 11:40

For the case try Tesco. I picked up a hard back case with slots for 4 …For the case try Tesco. I picked up a hard back case with slots for 4 games for 7.50.Also from Nintendo shop download the nes/SNES emulators. Love playing the old games

Thanks mate ill check down there when I get a chance next. Don't need anything too fancy. Yes I'm gonna abuse the free snes and nes store. Gonna have to get a memory card
Kurando19/09/2019 12:20

If you're an RPG person I'd recommend Octopath Traveller and Ni No Kuni. …If you're an RPG person I'd recommend Octopath Traveller and Ni No Kuni. I'd also recommend Slay the Spire. Card based RPG where you build a deck as you go. My husband introduced me to it and it's very addictive.

Perfect I've heard on ni no kuni but never played it before, I really want something I can get addicted too so I will check these games out. I love a good card game too
Jumpernot19/09/2019 12:25

Thanks mate ill check down there when I get a chance next. Don't need …Thanks mate ill check down there when I get a chance next. Don't need anything too fancy. Yes I'm gonna abuse the free snes and nes store. Gonna have to get a memory card

there's a 200GB card going at amazon for £20ish - someone posted it earlier this week

128GB cards can be bought for £15ish as well
sohailh198419/09/2019 13:18

there's a 200GB card going at amazon for £20ish - someone posted it …there's a 200GB card going at amazon for £20ish - someone posted it earlier this week128GB cards can be bought for £15ish as well

Do you think its worth going for the 200gb I've got a spare 64gb kicking around but wasn't sure how much space switch games take up and whether having a lower performance one might make a difference when playing. £20 for 200GB is insane though
Jumpernot19/09/2019 13:36

Do you think its worth going for the 200gb I've got a spare 64gb kicking …Do you think its worth going for the 200gb I've got a spare 64gb kicking around but wasn't sure how much space switch games take up and whether having a lower performance one might make a difference when playing. £20 for 200GB is insane though

maybe test it first - if it works fine - just use it but if it causes issues/runs slow - then maybe buy one?

I have a 128gb currently - have about 6 major titles installed and some smaller ones, down to about 40gb left
I recommend a tempered glass screen protector. That will definitely prevent any scratches, plus they are much easier to apply I find.

Controller wise, a Pro controller works well for me in Smash but I also use the official Gamecube controllers too. There are third party wireless Gamecube pads that are licensed by Nintendo that some people rate too. (They usually cost around £40.) They’re made by PowerA. amazon.co.uk/Wir…8-3

Regarding games, just buy what you like the look of really. People are raving about Astral Chain at the moment and while it was good when I started playing, it soon became repetitive and boring around the half way mark. I think it just wasn’t my sort of game in the end.

If you have a Switch Online sub, you owe it to yourself to download Tetris 99. Easily the best Battle Royale game ever released. (Expecting Fortnite/PubG fans to slaughter me for this comment now )
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants