Expired

Best thermometer for chemo patient?

Found 7th Apr 2013
Can anyone advise what type/brand of thermometer is best? I have a traditional glass/mercury one which I have always used, but my other half is due to start a course of chemo - we have been advised by the hospital that a digital one is much more accurate and that we need to have one because he will need to have his temperaure checked regularly at home.
Standard digital ones in Boots cost around £10 but I wondered if the ear type would be better, but not sure as they cost around £40.
Any advice would be appreciated! Thank you...
Community Updates
AskFever Thermometer
13 Comments
I would suggest that you ask at the hospital what they advise is best in the circumstances. At the end of the day they will know what is best in the circumstances and often they can suggest where's the best place to get one.
Hi Lou Scotland,

I am due to have chemo on the 19th of April and have been using cheap digital thermometers from boots and they are awful. Not very accurate and takes about 2mins to give a reading. It was the under the tongue type.

I recently bought this: hotukdeals.com/dea…756

It's almost identical to the one which they use at Kings Hospital where my treatment will be done. It seems to be very accurate and would recommend it.

All the best with the chemo!
The hospital should give you a thermometer. 2 members of my family are currently having/had chemo and they were given a thermometer to take home.
hi i have a braun digital thermometer which is used by gp's and hospital i use this with adults and children and found this great.
http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/3768844.htm
hope the link works
Astec123

I would suggest that you ask at the hospital what they advise is best in … I would suggest that you ask at the hospital what they advise is best in the circumstances. At the end of the day they will know what is best in the circumstances and often they can suggest where's the best place to get one.

We have asked and they just said to make sure it is digital - so many to choose from!
mamaoftwo

http://www.weldricks.co.uk/product/2607950_braun-4520-thermoscan-ear-thermometer?source=bl this is £25.29 and same as mine and gps ect.x

i would lookon ebay too as they have the braun thermometer brand new and some under £20.
ceanth

Hi Lou Scotland,I am due to have chemo on the 19th of April and have been … Hi Lou Scotland,I am due to have chemo on the 19th of April and have been using cheap digital thermometers from boots and they are awful. Not very accurate and takes about 2mins to give a reading. It was the under the tongue type.I recently bought this: http://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/braun-thermoscan-5-irt4520-thermometer-24-39-amazon-1511756It's almost identical to the one which they use at Kings Hospital where my treatment will be done. It seems to be very accurate and would recommend it. All the best with the chemo!

Thank you for the advice - I will probably go for this one as everyone seems to recommend it. Good luck with your chemo, too - I am starting to understand why they call it a cancer 'journey', it certainly is a sharp learning curve! Best wishes.
mamaoftwo

hi i have a braun digital thermometer which is used by gp's and hospital … hi i have a braun digital thermometer which is used by gp's and hospital i use this with adults and children and found this great.http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/3768844.htmhope the link works

Thanks for that - yes, link works!
Lou Scotland

Thank you for the advice - I will probably go for this one as everyone … Thank you for the advice - I will probably go for this one as everyone seems to recommend it. Good luck with your chemo, too - I am starting to understand why they call it a cancer 'journey', it certainly is a sharp learning curve! Best wishes.

Your welcome, on a side note where is your partners treatment going to be done? I've not had chemo before so it will be quite a new experience for me
ceanth

Your welcome, on a side note where is your partners treatment going to be … Your welcome, on a side note where is your partners treatment going to be done? I've not had chemo before so it will be quite a new experience for me

ceanth

Your welcome, on a side note where is your partners treatment going to be … Your welcome, on a side note where is your partners treatment going to be done? I've not had chemo before so it will be quite a new experience for me

We've been through lots of ups and downs with families chemo treatments over the past 2 and a half years so I don't mind answering any questions you may have.
ceanth

His treatment will be done at the Edinburgh Cancer Centre at the Western General Hospital in Edinburgh. This is the first time he has had anything like this done (he hardly ever went to the doctor before this) so very new to us, too. He doesn't worry at all, I worry lots! The immediate worry is how he will feel after the first chemo session this week, I don't know whether he will be fine or really unwell, or somewhere inbetween. I haven't made any plans at all because I don't know how this will affect us. I presume you are having your treatment at King's in London? Good luck with it, and feel free to keep in touch!
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants