Expired

Best time and day to close an ebay auction

Found 30th Sep 2014
I am looking to sell my iphone 4s and was considering ebay (first time selling), I was wondering whats the best time do I post / end an auction. I not fussed on how long the listing is for.
Some say Sunday evening (not sure what time) others say if there are many alternative devices then buyers are confused.
I wanted to ask your opinions?
Community Updates
Ask
19 Comments
I usualy try to list things to end on a sunday evening, figuring that most people will be about at this time. Though with ebay being accessible on your mobile some people will still bid / watch no matter what time it ends.
saturday late afternoon or sunday afternoon.

beware of paypal as they can refund your sale money (and reclaim it from you) if the buyer says there is something wrong with the item or (as in my case) swears that the package was empty when it wasn't. it's better if the buyer collects and pays cash.
If you aren't in a rush to sell it, wait until they sort out the mobile app. I have missed several items that I wanted because it has been playing up and I have noticed that some items have sold for less than they should have. When you do sell it, get it to end Sunday evening as most buyers are available to last minute bid. Also do research and see what other similar models sell for and how the seller listed them & if it's worth listing just buy it now or bids starting at a Penny
Sunday evenings
Something with a known market value (like an iPhone ) will sell any day of the week for the right price

Although you says it's your first sale, some ebayers may notice this and go elsewhere
For me Sunday evenings have been bad in my book. Like the reason you suggested earlier op- theres more choice

Someone might be interested in bidding might think ah well there's a similar phone ending in 20 mins I'll wait for that one
Edited by: "peanuted" 30th Sep 2014
If you've never sold on eBay before an iPhone is the worst thing to start with. People just won't trust you with no sellimg feedback as there are too many scammers about.
craigstephens

If you've never sold on eBay before an iPhone is the worst thing to start … If you've never sold on eBay before an iPhone is the worst thing to start with. People just won't trust you with no sellimg feedback as there are too many scammers about.

Very true.
Banned
sunday evening, just after the tv program your target customer is likely to be watching finishes, many make the mistake of ending an auction in the middle of a program so its easily forgotten about
I would try selling it here. EBay has lost its way and as other users have said there are too many people trying to rip you off.
jonnithomas

saturday late afternoon or sunday afternoon. beware of paypal as they … saturday late afternoon or sunday afternoon. beware of paypal as they can refund your sale money (and reclaim it from you) if the buyer says there is something wrong with the item or (as in my case) swears that the package was empty when it wasn't. it's better if the buyer collects and pays cash.

. Saturday is a bad call many people play sport go shopping or go out. Sunday evening or weekday evenings except for Fridays again for the same reason. This is all dependant on the target market of course. If it's a rare item, which is sort after then it's not always so much of an issue.
For an item where there will be hundreds I would recommend staying away from Sunday contrary to my previous advice. Since you have no feedback people will run. Gumtree or here would be far better.
Ending Sunday or Monday evening has worked best for me for auctions. May be more auctions ending but I've found bidding frenzy often ensues.
Agree with others though, will be a lot of mistrust if you have zero feedback and are selling a high value item.

Saying that, ebay always sides with buyers, so genuine users may be prepared to take a punt on paypal payment.
If posting though, still the risk of someone playing the 'empty box/fake phone sent' scam with you.

sunday evenings used to be the classic time, but i propose an alternative theory because:

- although that's peak internet usage time for households, it's often older people who don't tend to frequent ebay as much as more tech-savvy people.
- ebay is a great market to study supply and demand. if everyone lists on sunday evening, it becomes a buyer's market, driving down prie.
- everyone accesses it through apps etc these days. if you list it as a ten day auction ending on a thursday, you won't get many bids but you will get lots of watchers, who will all get reminders on their apps and log in at the last minute to put in a bid.
- if non sunday night auctions sold for considerably less, everyone would advise buyers to search for auctions at odd times. the only time this is valid is if someone is selling something at 4am.

i sold an electronic item ending on a sunday night. it had lots of viewers and i was expecting a frenzy. it happened but not as much as i'd hoped, and it sold for about £42. I was a 100% seller with 600+ positives. I had so much detailed info in the auction - links to reviews, details on technical abilities of the device, it was in perfect condition, i detailed how i was a trusted seller who posted within a day, i chucked in a few extra free gifts of batteries, cables etc. another fella with a very low score sold his that week (not on a sunday) for over £50. it pained me at how basic his description was - less than a sentence. That's the way ebay works, there's a general market value for something (e.g. commonly bought consumer electronics, like an iPod touch) and all auctions will end within a certain range of that price. Those that sell for more are an anomaly and no trend can be predicted - it happens because two people are trigger happy with their bids at the last second.

The only advice I would give with regards to time is have it as a ten day auction with 99p opening bid. Let it end at a reasonable time, when you expect people might be awake and have access to their phones. Lunch time or evenings, any day of the week.
I wouldn't sell a phone on ebay but that's a separate issue. As a first time seller, you won't be trusted (which will affect your price to a certain degree) and are a prime target for a scammer.
Friday between 3-5 is good people at work looking trying to wast the last bit of the week kids and parents r done with school for the week and Saturday 4-7 seems to work good for me sold quite a lot on ebay and always seem to get around best price
yes, the scammer risk is higher for a first time seller. also the value of the sale will be lower because people are wary of sellers without a record of good sales.

if it was me with an iphone I would not sell it on ebay due to these risks. I would sell on gumtree or preloved as then you can meet the buyer and they inspect the item and pay cash.

the problem is paypal DO favour the buyer. I sold a high value new hifi part sealed with manufacturer's security tape on it with photographs showing it was sealed. The buyer claimed the package was empty on opening the tape. paypal accepted their signed statement of this and refunded them the sale price and then pursued me to pay them back the cash. so I lost several hundred £ on it. I contacted the police who could do nothing. Paypal referred it to their fraud unit but wouldn't tell me their outcome due to data protection.

some scammers use paypal because they know they favour the buyer. If you sell on ebay you have to include paypal as a payment method.
sunday evening and put collection only with a cash payment. it cover u from paypal fraud which most time goes in the buyers favour. but i have sold items on ebay and fingers crossed never been scammed from a buyer but have been from sellers. its a live and learn process on ebay.
Instead of an auction why dont you sell it as a But it Now aka BIN
I have been buying/selling on eBay for years. I find the best time to finish an auction is around the 7:30-8pm mark, depending on what buyers you are targeting. Experience has shown me not to end auctions on a weekend!! I find I get more bids on items finishing on Tues/Wed/Thurs than Sat/Sun. I mainly sell tech stuff.

If it was my item I would put it on a 10 day auction - finishing midweek around 8 pm. You could always put a reserve on it. However, like other people have mentioned - You are new and this does put people off bidding. Unfortunately, you will also be a prime target for the few dodgy eBayers out there!

Have you considered trading it in? We have just traded a phone through Talk Talk mobile - I just did a quick quote for you based on a iPhone 4S 16GB (you don't say what yours is) and you get £100 for a working phone.

See tradein.talktalk.co.uk/sel…D=1
which seems like a good deal compared to Mazuno mobile, who offer around £70 depending on your network.

You may be looking for more than this but when you factor in eBay fees and PayPal fees and then worry of being scammed you might find this a better option.

Hope this helps
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants