Best time of year to pay for building work?

Found 8th Oct 2012
Hello,

I am thinking about getting a small porch built on the front of my house which I recently bought from my sister.

She had asked a few local builders and had quotes around the £3300 mark but as it is getting colder and summer is over I figured that it might be better to wait a bit longer till the building work dries up then get new quotes which might bring the price down.

I was thinking possibly the very beginning of Janurary? Not much work about, builders needing money etc.

Advice or thoughts please, thanks in advance.

1. Misc
Groups
  1. Misc
19 Comments

always when it is in the middle of the freezing winter as this is when builders are scratching around for work.

now mate just getting a loft conversion done and the builders are slow in work loads they also told me the building suppliers are doing good discounts on building materials to get rid of the stock

Of course the cost of materials is increasing almost by the day, so you could shoot yourself in the foot.

oh also tell em you are paying in cash good luck

Inactive

Of course the cost of materials is increasing almost by the day, so you … Of course the cost of materials is increasing almost by the day, so you could shoot yourself in the foot.

i never mate i am saving 2 grand from my previous quote

Bad weather delays may push the cost up?

Of course, the lowest quote often isn't the best quote, I would sooner pay a bit more and get top quality workmanship.

There are lot's of " John Wayne's " in the building trade.

Inactive

Of course, the lowest quote often isn't the best quote, I would sooner … Of course, the lowest quote often isn't the best quote, I would sooner pay a bit more and get top quality workmanship.There are lot's of " John Wayne's " in the building trade.

you should always get at least 3 quotes and preferably from recommendations. yes, the lowest is not always the best as the builder's honesty and quality is much more important.

whatsThePoint

of course the middle and highest quote could be from a dodgy builder as … of course the middle and highest quote could be from a dodgy builder as well

i tend to stick to builders i know as this is invaluable. dodgy builders can literally ruin your life.

But if it's a harsh winter then no ground work/brick laying will be done when it's -10.

Why do you think there is a shortage of jobs in the winter?

http://www.schnews.org.uk/images/596-god-the-builder-lg.jpg

http://asplondonbuilders.files.wordpress.com/2010/03/cowboys.gif

sancho1983

But if it's a harsh winter then no ground work/brick laying will be done … But if it's a harsh winter then no ground work/brick laying will be done when it's -10.Why do you think there is a shortage of jobs in the winter?

no idea. guess most people don't like the cold exposure so they don't instigate work in the winter so the builders have nothing to do.

they always run around like maniacs in the warmer months from being so busy.

Whatever you do hire a proper builder who speaks English, although foreign builders will be cheaper in general the work will usually be to a poor standard.

ive always used this builder and he told me to wait until now to get good discounts on building materials and it proved right for me

mercslkman

ive always used this builder and he told me to wait until now to get good … ive always used this builder and he told me to wait until now to get good discounts on building materials and it proved right for me

yes, using the same builder that you can trust is recommended.

The biggest tip I can give you is to check their work, walk around your local area and see if any of your neighbours have had work done, ask them who done it etc

avfcniall

Whatever you do hire a proper builder who speaks English, although … Whatever you do hire a proper builder who speaks English, although foreign builders will be cheaper in general the work will usually be to a poor standard.

it is recommended that you get a builder that speaks english not because of their standard of work but to stop misunderstanding.

also do get a few quotes i use to get at least 6 quotes one was from a major company then the others were locals that way i had some thing to compare with now i dont bother as i totaly trust this builder he has saved me money many times , my last job was he quoted me 1000 but when the job was completed he gave me 200 back as he said he got a good deal on materials he couldve kept the money and i wouldnt have been any wiser

Original Poster

MANY THANKS, will try ringing round, the company my sister got a quote from is a reputable company so will try them forst to see if the price has gone down from the May time. Will get three quotes as recommended. I thought that in the colder months people with families etc wont want to have building work done esp with the cost of heating too.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions