Best tv for playing video files

Posted 1st Jun 2020
I’m in the market for new 50” tv. I play a lot of movie files off usb different formats such as avi and mkv and mp4. Any idea if all major brands play all types?
Community Updates
Ask
16 Comments
I think most tv's will play pretty much any format nowadays
Or just buy an android box and connect via hdmi.. less than 50 quid
All I can say is have a back up option, really, I bought a 50" hisense about a month ago(was the 7500 model) and that should play them but doesn't, it play the odd one or 2 out of about 300 files I've got, I used to have a Samsung TV that played anything,

I had hoped to install vlc media player and use that but the hisense can't run apps like android does.... I was lucky that I had a firestick with an otg cable, so I installed vlc on the firestick and attached the USB pen to that to play files... But annoyingly won't play them from my stand alone USB hard drive as I don't think it gets enough power to power it..
Touch wood, my 3 yr old Samsung has not rejected a single file yet. Nor had any audio delay probs.
nopartylikeansclubparty01/06/2020 21:36

All I can say is have a back up option, really, I bought a 50" hisense …All I can say is have a back up option, really, I bought a 50" hisense about a month ago(was the 7500 model) and that should play them but doesn't, it play the odd one or 2 out of about 300 files I've got, I used to have a Samsung TV that played anything,I had hoped to install vlc media player and use that but the hisense can't run apps like android does.... I was lucky that I had a firestick with an otg cable, so I installed vlc on the firestick and attached the USB pen to that to play files... But annoyingly won't play them from my stand alone USB hard drive as I don't think it gets enough power to power it..

That’s interesting thank you. Hisense was one of my options but will reconsider. I have such a lot of video files with kids movies for the children and it would be a shame to upgrade the tv and lose this option
DaveG4601/06/2020 19:00

Or just buy an android box and connect via hdmi.. less than 50 quid

I already have a 4k firestick and don’t really want another plugged in device if i can avoid it but thanks for your comment
Anyone have an LG?
georgeb02/06/2020 07:42

I already have a 4k firestick and don’t really want another plugged in d …I already have a 4k firestick and don’t really want another plugged in device if i can avoid it but thanks for your comment

One last thing, if you get the hisense 7500 is that the firestick size makes it hard to use all the hdmi ports too
georgeb02/06/2020 07:42

Anyone have an LG?

The in-laws do, and I've been sending them usb sticks full of things to watch while isolating and they've seen everything I sent them.
splatsplatsplat02/06/2020 12:09

The in-laws do, and I've been sending them usb sticks full of things to …The in-laws do, and I've been sending them usb sticks full of things to watch while isolating and they've seen everything I sent them.

Great. Thank you
They bought their TV early last year, cant remember the model number but it was a 40"ish 4k with built in Freeview/Freesat.
We have a Hisense B7500 fantastic TV. i really don't think this should be a consideration, why potentially get a worse TV just because it can play files that you can do much more easily on much better devices. We've never tried playing files on the TV because why slum it, also new file types are always coming out, hevc/h265, 10bit, 12bit, hdr. The focus should be the picture quality.

Also you can get a £25 Android box then put Coreelec on it and it'll play more file types better than any TV out there and most other players under £100.
dcx_badass02/06/2020 15:18

We have a Hisense B7500 fantastic TV. i really don't think this should be …We have a Hisense B7500 fantastic TV. i really don't think this should be a consideration, why potentially get a worse TV just because it can play files that you can do much more easily on much better devices. We've never tried playing files on the TV because why slum it, also new file types are always coming out, hevc/h265, 10bit, 12bit, hdr. The focus should be the picture quality.Also you can get a £25 Android box then put Coreelec on it and it'll play more file types better than any TV out there and most other players under £100.

I wouldn’t get a worse tv just for that feature but if I’m split between a couple of models then for me it could be a deciding factor. I have 100’s off films on usb that my current 7 year old tv plays fine. I don’t want another box plugged into tv if i don’t need it. I’m currently split between LG and Samsung models but heard good things about hisense. I’m looking for a 50” tv
georgeb02/06/2020 15:57

I wouldn’t get a worse tv just for that feature but if I’m split between a …I wouldn’t get a worse tv just for that feature but if I’m split between a couple of models then for me it could be a deciding factor. I have 100’s off films on usb that my current 7 year old tv plays fine. I don’t want another box plugged into tv if i don’t need it. I’m currently split between LG and Samsung models but heard good things about hisense. I’m looking for a 50” tv

The Hisense is well recommended on AvFroums, the budget samsung and LG's are not as good.

avforums.com/thr…70/
Be careful. not all TVs output surround sound via arc
Thanks for the comments
Post a comment
@
    Text