Expired

Best type of wood for outdoor use

15 replies
Found 3rd Jun
Hi all,

I want to make a lid for a sand pit. This will be made from wood and strong enough to walk on (by a toddler). With it being outdoors I will be using paint or whatever treatment to protect it from the elements.

What I need you fine folk for is to recommend what type of wood to use and what product to waterproof it with?

Many thanks.

Oyston Out!

1. Ask
  2. Outdoor
Groups
  1. Ask
  2. Outdoor
15 Comments

Cedar is the best, teak and pine are ok but needing treating every year

if you go to somewhere like Travis Perkins they sell fence rails which I think are 38mmx68mm, they're only about £3 a length and are treated which are perfect to make the frame out of. then you could always just use some cheap decking on the top and treat it annually.
Edited by: "you_gotta_be_kidding" 3rd Jun

decking boards

You're from Blackpool and you need a sandpit? Seriously though re. preserver use an oil based stain rather than paint. Wickes own usually competitive and decent. wickes.co.uk/Wic…767
Edited by: "gazdoubleu" 3rd Jun

a sheet of marine ply?

pressure treated tanalised timber

Painted MDF

Free pallet wood.

Bin bags and a few bricks on top to stop the wind blowing them away......
That's enough to stop the cats shi**ing in the sand.

Original Poster

toiletseatlicker

Bin bags and a few bricks on top to stop the wind blowing them … Bin bags and a few bricks on top to stop the wind blowing them away......That's enough to stop the cats shi**ing in the sand.

​ha ha. that's what I have at the mo but replace bin bags with tarp

Like the other op said, marine plywood or exterior weatherboard (often available when the local shops have had their windows put through and had temporary boards put up until they get reglazed). Just ask the owner if you can have it when it comes down.

You'll probably only be wanting the sand pit for a few years - your child(ren) will probably stop playing with it by then. Therefore just buy the cheapest you can find - at whatever thickness necessary. Any exterior grade plywood would be the least work involved - B&Q would cut it down to size for you (as would some builders merchants). Paint it with a wood stain and it will last for a few years at least and you can throw it away whenever the use of the pit is finished.

Deck boards, especially seeing as you want it strong enough to walk on.

Original Poster

ply sounds good as it would be 1 whole piece. Not having any decking I wouldn't know but how would I stop water ingress?

BFCsider

ply sounds good as it would be 1 whole piece. Not having any decking I … ply sounds good as it would be 1 whole piece. Not having any decking I wouldn't know but how would I stop water ingress?

1 sheet of marine ply would be better to stop any water, but depending on the size would possibly need strengthening to enable it to be walked on.

Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Topcashback Trick or Treat competition57590
    2. Win an all-inclusive holiday to Antigua, including flights!44
    3. Free money and competition entry @ Circle813
    4. Win a Fisher-Price Think & Learn Teach 'n tag Movi @ Netmums22

See more discussions