Best Unlimited Sim For Home Internet

Posted 15th FebEdited by:"jasonwood999"
I've noticed now that more than just 3 network are offering unlimited data sims and wondered if anyone had used these for their home internet - i.e - 4g router - and if so what had been your experience.

We use 3 and the reason for this is its faster than the local fibre we can get in our area. We get around 12mbps on fibre, they just haven't updated the lines locally. This morning on 4g we're getting 15.1mbps and I'm the only one using it, on a good day its 20mbps but both a pretty low in terms of standard fibre speeds.

Currently we can have 3 tv's streaming tv and mostly no issues. But at busy times of day it can struggle, lagging/buffering and I'm pretty sure torrents are throttled around midday too - they won't even start. No one plays games online but that wouldn't be an option based on our current speeds, as our upload is pathetic 2mbps.

I've noticed Vodaphone offer an Unlimited MAX which says it can handle Ultra HD and I have EE on my phone, but not a SMART sim so I don't have their top speeds.

Has anyone tried anything else? Or maybe you've got 5g - I am just looking at the different options available. Any thoughts?
Community Updates
Misc

Groups

16 Comments
For Mr three were woeful.
In cities like Birmingham , London i got horrendous service.
Having said that some folks have had no issues.
It's often geographic. EE overall have the best speeds but it could be in your area three could be better.
Might be worth getting a pay as u go sim from EE and comparing.
I have been using a Smarty (3 UK) unlimited data sim in a 4g modem for several months now. On a good day just over 100mbps, on a bad around 45mbps. Both are speeds I find acceptable for my needs (4k streaming). Last month exceeded 1TB so as you can imagine quite a busy household.

The concept works fine as long as you get good signal and have high bandwidth on a good day so when the network busy the drop is manageable. I'd go Smarty unlimited for a month see if it works well for you. I highly recommend the Huawei B525 4G modem router from Amazon.
I am using EE unlimited sim only at home.
The original price was 34 but I have managed to negotiate.
I have two sim only contracts with EE and I paid 20 pounds altogether for it. Both was unlimited except the data. One had 4, the other 6 gb. Now EE downgrade it to 1 GB and the price has gone down to 14 pounds for both. And gave me the unlimited sim for 30.
So I am pating 44 pounds for the 3 sim cards.
I gift 50 gb to each sim cards every months so I have 51 gb data and put the unlimited sim into a Huawei B525 router.
I have contacted 6 indoor cams, a TV, a laptop and 3 phones.
Works fine.
Speed is never slower the 30mbps downloads and 40 upload.
The bestI have I have ever measured was 110 down and 45 up.
Not too bad.
And I cancelled my Virgin broadband. Signal is almost the same as tbe Virgin was.
Voxi uses Voda its unlimited data is £10/m no contract so you could try for a month at that price with no ongoing commitment, until Voxi graduates counting college. Many folks on here using £10/m unlimited Voxi for home BB and dreading the hats-in-the-air text.
Historic example of my sis using 3 cellular data for home BB: hotukdeals.com/com…674
AndyRoyd15/02/2020 12:54

Voxi uses Voda its unlimited data is £10/m no contract so you could try …Voxi uses Voda its unlimited data is £10/m no contract so you could try for a month at that price with no ongoing commitment, until Voxi graduates counting college. Many folks on here using £10/m unlimited Voxi for home BB and dreading the hats-in-the-air text.

I think you either have a special deal or an older one - on Voxi website the are limited deals which are £20 and above the unlimited deals are £30 - but they offer 5g if available.
jasonwood99915/02/2020 13:03

I think you either have a special deal or an older one - on Voxi website …I think you either have a special deal or an older one - on Voxi website the are limited deals which are £20 and above the unlimited deals are £30 - but they offer 5g if available.

No, the Voxi £10 unlimited deal is available to anyone and has been available since late summer 2019 when Voxi's metering system was deactivated, Voxi just chooses not to advertise the fact that it can't count.
AndyRoyd15/02/2020 13:18

No, the Voxi £10 unlimited deal is available to anyone and has been …No, the Voxi £10 unlimited deal is available to anyone and has been available since late summer 2019 when Voxi's metering system was deactivated, Voxi just chooses not to advertise the fact that it can't count.

really - so ordering the cheapest - social media only tariff would get you all the same choices...interesting
jasonwood99915/02/2020 13:35

really - so ordering the cheapest - social media only tariff would get you …really - so ordering the cheapest - social media only tariff would get you all the same choices...interesting

Image of Voxi £10 unmetered (unlimited) from late Jan 2020 hotukdeals.com/com…453 and I'm sure other members such as @jamie15 will concur.
I have tried in the last couple months Vodafone, Three and I have been with EE for a long time now and everywhere I tested these networks EE came out on the top.
I would not recommend anything else, only EE. They have the best coverage and the fastest most reliable mobile internet. Only issue is the price. You have to negotiate with them to get a good deal.
Gabooorrr15/02/2020 14:29

I have tried in the last couple months Vodafone, Three and I have been …I have tried in the last couple months Vodafone, Three and I have been with EE for a long time now and everywhere I tested these networks EE came out on the top.I would not recommend anything else, only EE. They have the best coverage and the fastest most reliable mobile internet. Only issue is the price. You have to negotiate with them to get a good deal.

I'm sure the OP is capable of identifying a suitable network for use at a static home address. "Best" national coverage is of no importance to a fixed location; more important is the service available and its traffic management at that location, and a general idea of TM can be found via the provider's KFI.
AndyRoyd15/02/2020 14:48

I'm sure the OP is capable of identifying a suitable network for use at a …I'm sure the OP is capable of identifying a suitable network for use at a static home address. "Best" national coverage is of no importance to a fixed location; more important is the service available and its traffic management at that location, and a general idea of TM can be found via the provider's KFI.

Sorry but I do not know what you are talking about.
OP?
TM?
KFI?
What do they stand for?
Gabooorrr15/02/2020 14:51

Sorry but I do not know what you are talking about.OP?TM?KFI?What do they …Sorry but I do not know what you are talking about.OP?TM?KFI?What do they stand for?

OP = original post(er)
TM = traffic management
KFI = keys facts indicator.
AndyRoyd15/02/2020 14:48

I'm sure the OP is capable of identifying a suitable network for use at a …I'm sure the OP is capable of identifying a suitable network for use at a static home address. "Best" national coverage is of no importance to a fixed location; more important is the service available and its traffic management at that location, and a general idea of TM can be found via the provider's KFI.

Quick websearch identifies the EE TM KFI PDF from 2015 but there will (should?) be a more recent one kicking around EE's site somewhere: ee.co.uk/con…pdf
Don't confuse it with the EE TM KFI PDF for MBB (2015) at ee.co.uk/con…pdf
and there's probably an EE TM KFI for HBB (201x) as well.
EE = Everything Everywhere
PDF = portable document format
MBB = mobile broadband
HBB = home broadband
201x = a year between 201something and 2020
AndyRoyd15/02/2020 15:00

OP = original post(er)TM = traffic managementKFI = keys facts indicator.

Now we are talking.
Thx
I was only saying that in most cases EE wins. And if the other networks signal is better there I still recommend EE over them with an external antenna and with that it is possible to get a much higher speed than the other ones.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Discussions

Top Merchants