Groups

BEST Used cars up to £5000 ( appearance wise and running wise)

I'm looking to purchase a decent car for up to £5k, atm I'm thinking Golf TDI or Audi A3 on diesel. tax and insurance seem cheap on them and low mpg. Anything else to recommend me guys? Something that's used but impressive.. and not too expensive as a runner? thanks

30 Comments

Honda civic!

Depends how many miles you're going to be doing, Anything less than 10k pa and I'd go for a petrol.

MJGM

Honda civic!

The very efficient 1.6 diesel is probably out of budget, although the older 2.2 it replaced is similar efficiency to a golf in the current model.

If you don't mind three door cars then the Citroen DS3 and Mini Clubman are now just about in budget and the Volvo C30 meets your criteria too. The S40/V50 is worth a look too.

You mean high mpg surely

EndlessWaves

The very efficient 1.6 diesel is probably out of budget, although the … The very efficient 1.6 diesel is probably out of budget, although the older 2.2 it replaced is similar efficiency to a golf in the current model.If you don't mind three door cars then the Citroen DS3 and Mini Clubman are now just about in budget and the Volvo C30 meets your criteria too. The S40/V50 is worth a look too.

Those are some seriously ugly cars you just mentioned.

Appearance is down to personal preference.
    Personally I find the Dacia Sandero (not the basic trim) better looking then the VW Golf.
    mpg depends on the type of driving your doing mostly town driving then petrol, motorway miles then diesel.

Work out how many miles you drive a year, what sort of driving you do, go around a few show rooms and find cars you like the look of then do the math.

I've got a diesel VW Golf MK6 1.6TDI and I do less than 5k a year...so petrol for under 10k is rubbish.

And yes I know about DPF and how they work mine does an active regeneration when I'm doing loads of town driving in one session.

if for a run around I would suggest something based on your affordability like Road tax, fuel costs, insurance and even maintenance.

Vw golf, vw polo or skoda fabia or seat Ibiza all good looking cars and are reliable and cheap to insure and good mpg

Mikeygolfgt

I've got a diesel VW Golf MK6 1.6TDI and I do less than 5k a year...so … I've got a diesel VW Golf MK6 1.6TDI and I do less than 5k a year...so petrol for under 10k is rubbish.And yes I know about DPF and how they work mine does an active regeneration when I'm doing loads of town driving in one session.if for a run around I would suggest something based on your affordability like Road tax, fuel costs, insurance and even maintenance.

You generally get more for your money with a petrol car plus running costs are generally cheaper i.e parts, servicing etc. So the poster above would be correct in saying diesels are only really the best option if you are doing higher mileage.

You'll pay more for an equivalent diesel (generally speaking) and you'll have to do a certain amount of mileage to 'earn' that difference back with the marginally higher fuel economy (but diesel is also generally more expensive than petrol).

Edited by: "ipswich78" 20th Sep 2016

+1 for Honda Civic

Great fuel economy. Might not carry the image of an Audi but depends on your priorities.

MJGM

Honda civic!

Mazda 3

thecoolguy

Those are some seriously ugly cars you just mentioned.

And? Looks weren't mentioned in the criteria.

I agree with you about the DS3, it isn't half as pretty as the DS5, although better in reality than in photos and plenty of people do like them. The V50 can also look a little generic at times.

I'd disagree with you on the other three though, the Clubman, C30 and S40 are all good designs with lots of visual interest. I'd take a C30 over a A3 any day:

Volvo C30:
    https://www.netcarshow.com/Volvo-C30_DRIVe-2009-800-12.jpg

Audi A3:
    https://www.netcarshow.com/Audi-A3-2011-800-0d.jpg
    (source)

Original Poster

what type of honda civic? cheap tax n insurance?

Original Poster

EndlessWaves

And? Looks weren't mentioned in the criteria.I agree with you about the … And? Looks weren't mentioned in the criteria.I agree with you about the DS3, it isn't half as pretty as the DS5, although better in reality than in photos and plenty of people do like them. The V50 can also look a little generic at times.I'd disagree with you on the other three though, the Clubman, C30 and S40 are all good designs with lots of visual interest. I'd take a C30 over a A3 any day:Volvo C30:Audi A3:(source)

C30 do look nice, u sure u can get em for 4-5k? cheap tax?

We have a 2005 7th generation Civic. For your budget I would look at the 8th and 9th generation. The insurance group on mine is 13. Insurance is always cheap. The new Civic has much greater power (in terms of bhp) with some smaller sized engine. I would look visit a Honda dealership and see if you can test drive one of the used ones and make your own mind up.

The Honda Civic is one of four cars in our household.Its been the most reliable car I've ever owned. Never failed its MOT and I've only ever had to replace brake parts. Still on the original battery and exhaust.

Good luck!

KopCity

what type of honda civic? cheap tax n insurance?

Mikeygolfgt

I've got a diesel VW Golf MK6 1.6TDI and I do less than 5k a year...so … I've got a diesel VW Golf MK6 1.6TDI and I do less than 5k a year...so petrol for under 10k is rubbish.And yes I know about DPF and how they work mine does an active regeneration when I'm doing loads of town driving in one session.if for a run around I would suggest something based on your affordability like Road tax, fuel costs, insurance and even maintenance.

Not rubbish at all, you maybe lucky with your Golf, It's fairly new and the dpf system on VAG cars are fairly good but when things go bad and things clog up things start getting costly, That carbon builds up on egrs, turbos, catalysts, dpfs, inlet manifolds etc.. Also diesel is only efficient once warmed up, Going to the shop and back or doing the school run is pretty bad for a diesel. Their is a point when that regen isn't going to clean the dpf, then you'll be needing a new one, A nice £1k bill.

The difference in mpg between some 1.4 petrols and 2.0 diesels is often very little, also insurance, tax and fuel is typically cheaper on petrols so should be taken into account.

Depends on your preference. Golfs tend to hold their value but haven't really looked at any the emission scandal.

I've got a Chrysler Ypsilon 1.3 diesel which can get up to 74mpg and has free road tax.

Mikeygolfgt

​I didn't know DPF could work like that. My Chrysler recommends 15 minutes going at least 60mph for regeneration.

Audi A3 TDIe Spoprtback 08/09. 65mpg avg. £30 road tax.

Probably get a few factory extras for 5K. BOSE system etc.

BMW 118d or Mini Cooper Clubman d.

KopCity

C30 do look nice, u sure u can get em for 4-5k? cheap tax?

They made it between 2006 and 2013 so it's definitely old enough for there to be cars in your budget. The lowest tax/most efficient model - the DRIVe with Stop/Start - is pictured in the image above and was launched in 2009. Volvo pushed the CO2 test to 99g/km for UK release rather than the 104g/km the picture states so it's entirely tax free if you can snag one of them. There's also a DRIVe model without start/stop that is £30 a year. Autotrader currently has 19 cars between £4k and £5k with £30 tax or less.

Original Poster

EndlessWaves

They made it between 2006 and 2013 so it's definitely old enough for … They made it between 2006 and 2013 so it's definitely old enough for there to be cars in your budget. The lowest tax/most efficient model - the DRIVe with Stop/Start - is pictured in the image above and was launched in 2009. Volvo pushed the CO2 test to 99g/km for UK release rather than the 104g/km the picture states so it's entirely tax free if you can snag one of them. There's also a DRIVe model without start/stop that is £30 a year. Autotrader currently has 19 cars between £4k and £5k with £30 tax or less.

Thanks I had a look but shame its a 3 door car..

I'm looking at honda civic too but cheapest tax is £130.. I'm also worried what people are saying about diesel, that its not good for short trips as i dont do a lot of mileage and dont travel far.. i had a gold tdi blumotion in mind...
    what about audi a3, would u recommend?

KopCity

I did mention it. Are 5 doors essential then?

KopCity

I'm looking at honda civic too but cheapest tax is £130.. I'm also … I'm looking at honda civic too but cheapest tax is £130.. I'm also worried what people are saying about diesel, that its not good for short trips as i dont do a lot of mileage and dont travel far..

Shauneco is talking a fair bit of rubbish (petrol is very rarely cheaper on tax or fuel) but some manufacturers' initial implementation of emission control technologies like DPF did have issues if you stuck exclusively to short, low speed journeys. They don't need much in the way of high speed driving though, and they're monitored by the car's computer so they will tell you if they need it if you're not doing enough.

As for long term costs. Well, there's obviously an element that more systems on a car mean more things to go wrong but I don't know if there's a lot of evidence that emissions control systems are particularly unreliable.

If you fancy a Honda and you can't stretch to the 2012-2013 Civics then there's always the Insight, Honda's 5 door Hybrid. It's quite a nice looking car, if lacking the Civic flair, and supposedly a relaxed drive. Fuel economy is around 50mpg petrol and tax is £0-20 per year:
    https://www.netcarshow.com/Honda-Insight_EU_Version-2010-800-20.jpg

KopCity

i had a gold tdi blumotion in mind...what about audi a3, would u … i had a gold tdi blumotion in mind...what about audi a3, would u recommend?

I wouldn't go for one personally because I find VW Group's design abilities rather lacking (inside more than out), but the engines tend to provide pretty solid real world mpg, mid-fifties from the diesels. The 1.4 Petrol is reputedly a good engine, the latest versions having fuel economy that almost matches Peugeot's newer Puretech 1.2 and the ones you're looking at still seem to do 40mpg+.

KopCity

KopCity

I'm looking at honda civic too but cheapest tax is £130.. I'm also … I'm looking at honda civic too but cheapest tax is £130.. I'm also worried what people are saying about diesel, that its not good for short trips as i dont do a lot of mileage and dont travel far..

KopCity

i had a gold tdi blumotion in mind...what about audi a3, would u … i had a gold tdi blumotion in mind...what about audi a3, would u recommend?

How is it rubbish?, It's a renown fact that diesels are bad for short journeys, Look at the soot that comes out through the exhaust, That is going through the inlet, egr, turbo etc.etc.. You're telling me that's good for the car?.

Petrols are a million times cleaner and the components don't carbon up anywhere near as bad as a diesel does, That is fact.

Petrol these days is slightly cheaper at the pumps, Tax is usually cheaper on small petrols and so is insurance, Petrols are usually cheaper to maintain, don't need powerful batteries etc..

Buy a diesel if you're going to be towing or doing the miles, otherwise theirs no point imo.

shauneco

Petrol these days is slightly cheaper at the pumps, Tax is usually … Petrol these days is slightly cheaper at the pumps, Tax is usually cheaper on small petrols and so is insurance

That's simply not true for the vast majority of cars.

Let's take the current Peugeot 308 because it's got an excellent, small displacement petrol engine and competitive but not outstanding diesel engines.

The 1.2 Puretech 110 Petrol engine averages 47mpg reported and the 1.6 BlueHDI Diesel does 58mpg:
    honestjohn.co.uk/rea…014

Today's average fuel prices are 111.95p for petrol, 113.11p for diesel:
    petrolprices.com/

That means the petrol engine costs 10.8p per mile while the diesel costs 8.9p per mile.

The petrol engine claims 109 g/km putting it in Tax Band B (£20 a year) while the diesel engine claims 92g/km putting it in Tax Band A (£0 per year).

Insurance groups are often lower for petrol though, so that's a good point to check.

EndlessWaves

That's simply not true for the vast majority of cars.Let's take the … That's simply not true for the vast majority of cars.Let's take the current Peugeot 308 because it's got an excellent, small displacement petrol engine and competitive but not outstanding diesel engines.The 1.2 Puretech 110 Petrol engine averages 47mpg reported and the 1.6 BlueHDI Diesel does 58mpg:http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/realmpg/peugeot/308-2014Today's average fuel prices are 111.95p for petrol, 113.11p for diesel:https://www.petrolprices.com/That means the petrol engine costs 10.8p per mile while the diesel costs 8.9p per mile.The petrol engine claims 109 g/km putting it in Tax Band B (£20 a year) while the diesel engine claims 92g/km putting it in Tax Band A (£0 per year).Insurance groups are often lower for petrol though, so that's a good point to check.

The 1.6 diesel will do 58mpg in ideal average conditions once it's warmed up, That is an important note, Once it has warmed up and reached optimal temperature. It will be closer to 50mpg if that if you're typically going to the shop and back. Then that negates the advantage in mpg as it's much closer as petrol is nearly 100% it's efficiency straight away and warms up much quicker, My grandads 2009 1.4 Honda Jazz does 54mpg.

Tax varies and is usually cheaper on petrol, obviously that's not always the case and the 1.6 vag diesel is a very good choice if the op must have a diesel but over time if not doing the miles then a petrol is a much better option.

Obviously if you're doing the mileage the 1.6 diesel would be a no brainer in the ops case but they've stated they're not.

The emission control systems on diesel cars are often the main reason they end up in garages. 9 out of 10 times it's either a dpf issue or egr.

If it's a new car then no problem but after 4-5 years you will get problems if it's been driven low miles around town.

Original Poster

wow, some great inputs, thanks guys. so we have 2 people debating on which is better, which still leaves me confused lol. I'm obviously after cheap tax n insurance, but at same time nice looking 4 door car. so far I have :
    honda civic
    audi a3
    golf tdi
    in mind..
    @ manure fan, would you opt for civic seeing as its petrol then?

KopCity

wow, some great inputs, thanks guys. so we have 2 people debating on … wow, some great inputs, thanks guys. so we have 2 people debating on which is better, which still leaves me confused lol. I'm obviously after cheap tax n insurance, but at same time nice looking 4 door car. so far I have : honda civicaudi a3golf tdiin mind.. @ manure fan, would you opt for civic seeing as its petrol then?

Thanks for the insult.

Yes I would, 100%, The Civic makes more sense in your case.

The Golf and Audi are great cars if doing the miles though.

I think lots of people who own diesels probably own fairly new ones and haven't really had too many issues but once they get to 4+ years they start needing work, especially the ones driven around towns.

shauneco

Thanks for the insult.Yes I would, 100%, The Civic makes more sense in … Thanks for the insult.Yes I would, 100%, The Civic makes more sense in your case.The Golf and Audi are great cars if doing the miles though.I think lots of people who own diesels probably own fairly new ones and haven't really had too many issues but once they get to 4+ years they start needing work, especially the ones driven around towns.

​I've got a for 4 and a half year old diesel which I do town drives in and have never had any real issues. Just a few things that were common to go faulty. Had an emissions test when it was MOT'd and it was practically clean air coming out.

I'd go for a Seat Leon (which I did a few years back over the A3 and Golf). Exactly the same engine but cheaper in price and comes with more extras than both the A3 and Golf. Cheaper parts, cheaper insurance, can't go wrong.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Royal Mail chat says I am not allowed to send paper of any kind to Hong Kon…2261
      2. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7767245
      3. 75% off Sky TV for existing customers. Only works when you call the specifi…17826357
      4. word association Game73844477

See more discussions