Groups

Best Value Ethernet Switch with POE

Good afternoon everyone,

I'm looking to buy an ethernet switch since my Superhub 3 has only 4 ports as I have to keep switch the ethernet cable from the Xbox, PS4 and TV. I also figured that since I want to add another CCTV camera to my system it would be worth getting one which supports POE therefore I don't have to power all the CCTV camera's separately.

I've had a brief look and I figure something like this would be ideal, is this good value for money? amazon.co.uk/NET…tch

Finally, I was also looking secondhand, how reliable are things like this? Is it worth considering buying secondhand to save a few quid?

Thanks in advance.

9 Comments

How many ports in total? How many POE ports do you need? Is loudness/quietness of cooling fans a consideration?

Original Poster

peeej1978

How many ports in total? How many POE ports do you need? Is … How many ports in total? How many POE ports do you need? Is loudness/quietness of cooling fans a consideration?

I only need an extra 3/4 ethernet ports. 2/3 which need power. Noise will be a consideration as it is in my bedroom. I didn't realise they had fans, I thought it was just a solid construction.
    Edited by: "joshp" 8th Jan

Original Poster

xfaxfa

How about this? We have one on the back of our TV coming from powerline … How about this? We have one on the back of our TV coming from powerline https://www.google.co.uk/shopping/product/11622857380111523808?q=ethernet+splitter&newwindow=1&client=firefox-b-ab&biw=1238&bih=945&bav=on.2,or.r_cp.&bvm=bv.142059868,d.d2s&tch=1&ech=1&psi=xnNyWLCrCISHaKeJg9AD.1483895751616.3&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjHsq7AhrPRAhXCVhoKHR0JC4oQ8wII7QIwBQ

Thanks but that doesn't have POE.

joshp

Thanks but that doesn't have POE.

Yes, noticed that after posted sorry

Original Poster

xfaxfa

Maybe these might help? … Maybe these might help? https://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-LINK-TL-PA4020KIT-Powerline-Streaming-Configuration/dp/B00QTG4J9C/ref=sr_1_5?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1483895938&sr=1-5&keywords=power+over+ethernet

They are for another purpose. I need an ethernet switch, like what you posted previously but it needs to support POE.

Keep an eye on ebay. I nought a couple of top end switches very cheaply from a recycling place - with POE. I found that even consumer grade POE stuff is still very expensive new.

I'd also say check what the requirements are of the devices you want to power. I know someone who bought some wifi units that turned out to need POE at an unusual voltage that didnt work on most switches.

xfaxfa

Maybe these might help? … Maybe these might help? https://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-LINK-TL-PA4020KIT-Powerline-Streaming-Configuration/dp/B00QTG4J9C/ref=sr_1_5?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1483895938&sr=1-5&keywords=power+over+ethernet

thats ethernet over power :P

TP-LINK TL-SG1008P 8 Port Gigabit Unmanaged Desktop Switch with 4-Port PoE

£49 on Amazon. Good switch. No fans/noise. Only slight issue is it has an external power brick but I've had no problems using this since 2015 now. I'm powering 4 PoE CCTV cameras too and the other 4 ports for my router/NAS/ desktop etc
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Ditched Sky1214
      2. Best 40 inch TV for £30056
      3. Biscuit addiction1231
      4. Working conditions, workers rights. Standing at work causing pain. Is this …1325

See more discussions