Best very low budget printer and ink cartridge replacements?

Posted 15th Dec 2019
Looking for a very basic low cost printer which can copy and print but has very low cost ink cartridges.

Will have no WiFi connectivity as it is for parents who do not have internet access.

Would appreciate any help please
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

51 Comments
Canon that takes PGI-525 and CLI-526 carts.

These printers are old models and probably hard to get hold of. However the carts are like £4 for 3 sets.
I bought an HP a few years back with free ink, I get 15 pages per month, which is fine for me, and unlike the 10+ Epsom’s before it, it's yet to block up. The downside is that it does need to connect every so often to let them know when to send you the ink, but couldn’t you do that when you visit
Edited by: "frakison" 15th Dec 2019
frakison15/12/2019 11:51

I bought an HP a few years back with free ink, I get 15 pages per month, …I bought an HP a few years back with free ink, I get 15 pages per month, which is fine for me, and unlike the 10+ Epsom’s before it, it's yet to block up. The downside is that it does need to connect every so often to let them know when to send you the ink, but couldn’t you do that when you visit

Do you know how often it needs to connect?
May I ask if your parents will definitely need colour prints? If not, and you want to give them trouble-free printing I suggest getting a small, cheap laser printer. A compatible toner will be sufficient and the printer will always be ready to go as and when needed. No drying out of nozzles and cleaning cycles to be done...
Look at Epson , compatible cartridges are always cheap and plentiful on eBay.
adamwilko00715/12/2019 11:53

Do you know how often it needs to connect?

You get an email, it’s not all the time, but I’ll have a look and see how often the emails com through and post back
Phsycronix15/12/2019 12:01

May I ask if your parents will definitely need colour prints? If not, and …May I ask if your parents will definitely need colour prints? If not, and you want to give them trouble-free printing I suggest getting a small, cheap laser printer. A compatible toner will be sufficient and the printer will always be ready to go as and when needed. No drying out of nozzles and cleaning cycles to be done...

Agree, I think the cost puts people off, but they do so many prints and like you said, no clogging to worry about (unlike every Epson I’ve ever owned!!!!!)
frakison15/12/2019 12:09

Agree, I think the cost puts people off, but they do so many prints and …Agree, I think the cost puts people off, but they do so many prints and like you said, no clogging to worry about (unlike every Epson I’ve ever owned!!!!!)

I have a little Dell 1130 I bought years ago for £34. Toners are £9 a pop (and I'm only on my second one!) and I don't use it for months on end. Fire it up and seconds later, away you go. As you say though, genuine toners can be frightening - but then so are genuine inks!
Just bought the HP Envy 5010 from Amazon. It comes with 6 months Instant ink offer. The printer order ink for itself on a subscription basis based ho how many things you print and not whether they are colour or black & white. The lowest subscription is 15 pages per month for free and the next package is £1.99 per month for 50 pages. £24 per year is cheaper than 1 set of original new inks. Worth a look?
amazon.co.uk/gp/…c=1
frakison15/12/2019 12:07

You get an email, it’s not all the time, but I’ll have a look and see how o …You get an email, it’s not all the time, but I’ll have a look and see how often the emails com through and post back

Would be appreciated don't want to cause a nightmare for myself
Phsycronix15/12/2019 12:01

May I ask if your parents will definitely need colour prints? If not, and …May I ask if your parents will definitely need colour prints? If not, and you want to give them trouble-free printing I suggest getting a small, cheap laser printer. A compatible toner will be sufficient and the printer will always be ready to go as and when needed. No drying out of nozzles and cleaning cycles to be done...

Don't need colour but think it will be expensive for thee hardware to get one which copies as well?
i have a HP laserjet pro, which is wifi enabled but you can also get the cheaper non wifi version. we get the compatible ink replacement from amazon.

you mention that you are looking for a printer that can 'copy'. do you mean one that can scan? but if your parents don't have wifi, i am not sure you mean a printer that can scan? or do you mean one that works like a photocopier?
mutley115/12/2019 12:23

i have a HP laserjet pro, which is wifi enabled but you can also get the …i have a HP laserjet pro, which is wifi enabled but you can also get the cheaper non wifi version. we get the compatible ink replacement from amazon.you mention that you are looking for a printer that can 'copy'. do you mean one that can scan? but if your parents don't have wifi, i am not sure you mean a printer that can scan? or do you mean one that works like a photocopier?

Yea just a photo copier for documents doesn't need to scan as they don't have a computer
adamwilko00715/12/2019 12:19

Don't need colour but think it will be expensive for thee hardware to get …Don't need colour but think it will be expensive for thee hardware to get one which copies as well?

Very true. How about this from Argos:

Samsung Xpress SL-M2070W Wireless Mono Laser Printer

Item: 157/9750

All-in-one printer/scanner/copier for £79.99

If there were a discount code going around, order from Argos Ebay and get it cheaper?

Ebay compatible toner from: £20.99

Just coming up with an idea for you, that's all.
Phsycronix15/12/2019 12:26

Very true. How about this from Argos:Samsung Xpress SL-M2070W Wireless …Very true. How about this from Argos:Samsung Xpress SL-M2070W Wireless Mono Laser PrinterItem: 157/9750All-in-one printer/scanner/copier for £79.99If there were a discount code going around, order from Argos Ebay and get it cheaper?Ebay compatible toner from: £20.99Just coming up with an idea for you, that's all.

This looks like a really good shout! Can do 500 pages which should at least do them a year

Thanks for your help, will keep looking but this looks like it will be the one
I vouch for a laser printer
Also from "Printerland" on Ebay: £79.91

ebay.co.uk/itm…000

Bit less for the printer but also:
ebay.co.uk/itm…hQE
Stupid-cheap toner available - £8.42 a pair!

I take it you want this sorted for Xmas? Otherwise, I'd hang fire and see if Ebay did another store-wide discount voucher. Just a thought...
Edited by: "Phsycronix" 15th Dec 2019
adamwilko00715/12/2019 12:30

This looks like a really good shout! Can do 500 pages which should at …This looks like a really good shout! Can do 500 pages which should at least do them a yearThanks for your help, will keep looking but this looks like it will be the one

If they don’t need colour, laser will serve them well
Phsycronix15/12/2019 12:34

Also from "Printerland" on Ebay: …Also from "Printerland" on Ebay: £79.91https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Kyocera-FS-1220MFP-A4-Mono-Multifunction-Laser-Printer/132780945938?epid=1907616528&hash=item1eea5c7212:g:zg8AAOSwOzJdUhik&LH_ItemCondition=1000Bit less for the printer but also:https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-Black-Toner-For-Kyocera-FS-1041-FS-1220MFP-FS-1320MFP/163229426157?hash=item26013b61ed:g:dWMAAOSwBnVW9hQEStupid-cheap toner available - £8.42 a pair!I take it you want this sorted for Xmas? Otherwise, I'd hang fire and see if Ebay did another store-wide discount voucher. Just a thought...

Ideally before Christmas ideally, I have found this as well not sure how it compares but you get 1000 pages per tonner. £30 for new tonner

currys.co.uk/gbu…tml

Would this come with a full tonner or are they like ink jets half full?
The only thing I'll add which is a downside to laser printers is to do your homework. You may find if they do large volume printing (5-10,000 copies) that the drum will also need replacing at some point. This can be costly on certain models so just like inkjets, it becomes throwaway. Saying that, Brother lasers had quite reasonable priced drums...
1000 pages for £30 is dreadful value.

My costings are well under 1p per page with a canon mg5250 and inks at 3 sets for £4
Edited by: "m1keyp1key" 15th Dec 2019
adamwilko00715/12/2019 12:39

Ideally before Christmas ideally, I have found this as well not sure how …Ideally before Christmas ideally, I have found this as well not sure how it compares but you get 1000 pages per tonner. £30 for new tonner https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/computing-accessories/printers-scanners-and-ink/printers/brother-dcp1612w-monochrome-all-in-one-wireless-laser-printer-10124890-pdt.htmlWould this come with a full tonner or are they like ink jets half full?

Not bad. I did see that but was trying to find you better! Hehe. Good, cheap compats available and drums too. Definitely worth considering...

Ideally before Christmas ideally, I have found this as well not sure how …Ideally before Christmas ideally, I have found this as well not sure how it compares but you get 1000 pages per tonner. £30 for new tonner https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/computing-accessories/printers-scanners-and-ink/printers/brother-dcp1612w-monochrome-all-in-one-wireless-laser-printer-10124890-pdt.htmlWould this come with a full tonner or are they like ink jets half full?

Compat toner: From £6.10 but better 'multi' deals available
ebay.co.uk/sch…=15

Yes, the toners that come do tend to be a 'smaller than usual' one. Some manufacturers do "XL" toners too, such as Dell.

...Would this come with a full tonner or are they like ink jets half full?

IJs are usually half empty, certainly not half full. Just sayin'. Manufacturer of the ref'd laser states 700 page toner in box; replacement toner is typically 1000 pages, like supplied with the 5 x 1000-page toner "All-in-Box" option at silly high money
brother.co.uk/pri…12w
brother.co.uk/pri…dle
You want to be looking at 1p or less per page for it to be considered low running costs.
frakison15/12/2019 11:51

I bought an HP a few years back with free ink, I get 15 pages per month, …I bought an HP a few years back with free ink, I get 15 pages per month, which is fine for me, and unlike the 10+ Epsom’s before it, it's yet to block up. The downside is that it does need to connect every so often to let them know when to send you the ink, but couldn’t you do that when you visit

My parents are always telling me to get HP and get 15 free pages a month !
m1keyp1key15/12/2019 13:11

You want to be looking at 1p or less per page for it to be considered low …You want to be looking at 1p or less per page for it to be considered low running costs.

also bare in mind who this is aimed at. They could be doing regular printing, or not printing for months at a time and as 'parents' with no computer, I'd say they need "trouble-free" printing more than most. Perhaps worth the marginally higher 'per unit' cost?

The compats run at approx 1600 pages (dependent upon yield) so; at £18.50 for four (£4.63 a pop - available from the same seller) or better, it's a worthy contender for consideration. I know I wouldn't want my parents to be worried EVERY time the "printer's playing up again. It's all splotchy and missing bits." or calling me to "come and sort it out, quick!"
Phsycronix15/12/2019 13:21

also bare in mind who this is aimed at. They could be doing regular …also bare in mind who this is aimed at. They could be doing regular printing, or not printing for months at a time and as 'parents' with no computer, I'd say they need "trouble-free" printing more than most. Perhaps worth the marginally higher 'per unit' cost?The compats run at approx 1600 pages (dependent upon yield) so; at £18.50 for four (£4.63 a pop - available from the same seller) or better, it's a worthy contender for consideration. I know I wouldn't want my parents to be worried EVERY time the "printer's playing up again. It's all splotchy and missing bits." or calling me to "come and sort it out, quick!"

Possibly but the OP mentioned low cost printing and not trouble free so i took low cost as the priority.

Besides i don't find inkjets that hard to manage. If i don't use mine for a few days i'll just print a test page.
m1keyp1key15/12/2019 13:28

Possibly but the OP mentioned low cost printing and not trouble free so i …Possibly but the OP mentioned low cost printing and not trouble free so i took low cost as the priority. Besides i don't find inkjets that hard to manage. If i don't use mine for a few days i'll just print a test page.

You are most correct - however, you obviously use computers. OP says his parents don't have one - so, how much do you think it would be in their mind to turn the printer on/off regularly enough to keep the heads charged? If they were anything like mine (no disrespect intended to the OP or their parents) I'm betting they have better things on their mind(s) and would soon forget.

Or not.

I'll leave it up to adamwilko007 to illuminate us on that subject!

By the way Adam, how much printing are we talking about? Regular printing or now and again? If it's regular then; as m1keyp1key says; inkjet is definitely cost effective on a unit basis. The other thing I would consider is maintenance. Toner carts are very simple to replace (as are inkjets before I'm shot down about that!) but don't need changing half as often as inks.
Edited by: "Phsycronix" 15th Dec 2019
Phsycronix15/12/2019 13:32

You are most correct - however, you obviously use computers. OP says his …You are most correct - however, you obviously use computers. OP says his parents don't have one - so, how much do you think it would be in their mind to turn the printer on/off regularly enough to keep the heads charged? If they were anything like mine (no disrespect intended to the OP or their parents) I'm betting they have better things on their mind(s) and would soon forget.Or not.I'll leave it up to adamwilko007 to illuminate us on that subject! By the way Adam, how much printing are we talking about? Regular printing or now and again? If it's regular then; as m1keyp1key says; inkjet is definitely cost effective on a unit basis. The other thing I would consider is maintenance. Toner carts are very simple to replace (as are inkjets before I'm shot down about that!) but don't need changing half as often as inks.

They sometimes won't print anything for two months, then they will photocopy a 10-15 page document.

So overall very low usage, sounds like toner is the way forward
adamwilko00715/12/2019 14:33

They sometimes won't print anything for two months, then they will …They sometimes won't print anything for two months, then they will photocopy a 10-15 page document.So overall very low usage, sounds like toner is the way forward

Great. But do you think they are; how can I put this; savvy enough to remember to keep operating the printer - EVEN if they aren't going to print anything, to keep it clog-free? Even though you say they don't have a computer, are they still "techy" as it were?

Sadly, my parents wouldn't even know how to turn a computer on - and then they'd be terrified of it!
Phsycronix15/12/2019 14:41

Great. But do you think they are; how can I put this; savvy enough to …Great. But do you think they are; how can I put this; savvy enough to remember to keep operating the printer - EVEN if they aren't going to print anything, to keep it clog-free? Even though you say they don't have a computer, are they still "techy" as it were?Sadly, my parents wouldn't even know how to turn a computer on - and then they'd be terrified of it!

What would they need to do? Put 1 copy though a month or something?

Not familiar with the maintenance on a laser printer myself.

They have learnt to use whats app in the last year so they are not too bad
Another option (if you like white!) £71.99 inc VAT & del (500 page starter cart)

viking-direct.co.uk/en/….ds

Compat toners aren't cheap though (well, not as cheap as previous recommendations): From £14.75
ebay.co.uk/sch…=15
adamwilko00715/12/2019 14:47

What would they need to do? Put 1 copy though a month or something?Not …What would they need to do? Put 1 copy though a month or something?Not familiar with the maintenance on a laser printer myself.They have learnt to use whats app in the last year so they are not too bad

No my friend, I meant on an inkjet printer. A laser needs no routine maintenance really. It's pretty much "set & forget." It's the inkjet models that have nozzles that dry out and clog. Next time you fire it up; a month or two later; and it doesn't print properly. Again, I tread carefully here as the 'purists' will be down my throat in a mo!

Some manufacturers are better than others for this but one thing we will all agree on - leave an inkjet for 'too' long and it WILL require a cleaning cycle (or three) to get printing nicely again.
Sim card dongle plugged in printer. It's now wireless via mobile network so you can email messages and pictures to them that will print out. I've heard people doing this for elderly relieves that are not online or even have a pc. Wonder if that would work with hp instant ink? No reason it wouldn't I guess.
Edited by: "wayners" 15th Dec 2019
Phsycronix15/12/2019 14:54

No my friend, I meant on an inkjet printer. A laser needs no routine …No my friend, I meant on an inkjet printer. A laser needs no routine maintenance really. It's pretty much "set & forget." It's the inkjet models that have nozzles that dry out and clog. Next time you fire it up; a month or two later; and it doesn't print properly. Again, I tread carefully here as the 'purists' will be down my throat in a mo!Some manufacturers are better than others for this but one thing we will all agree on - leave an inkjet for 'too' long and it WILL require a cleaning cycle (or three) to get printing nicely again.

Thanks for all your help mate , if you had to pick one out of all the ones you linked which would you go for ? Been looking at them for an hour and going in a circle
Anyone know if the DCP-1612W has WiFi direct so my parents could potentially send things to the printer from the iPhone I have them without a WiFi access point? Really struggling to find out if that would work or not
adamwilko00715/12/2019 17:23

Anyone know if the DCP-1612W has WiFi direct so my parents could …Anyone know if the DCP-1612W has WiFi direct so my parents could potentially send things to the printer from the iPhone I have them without a WiFi access point? Really struggling to find out if that would work or not

i don't think you can. here is the help from brother on how to connect wireless and it always seem to state wifi network in the options

support.brother.com/g/b…hk&
mutley115/12/2019 17:42

i don't think you can. here is the help from brother on how to connect …i don't think you can. here is the help from brother on how to connect wireless and it always seem to state wifi network in the optionshttps://support.brother.com/g/b/faqend.aspx?c=hk〈=en∏=mfct800w_all&faqid=faq00100399_005

The search continues for the parents which live in the dark age
adamwilko00715/12/2019 17:43

The search continues for the parents which live in the dark age

printers are designed to work with pc. if they don't have a pc or wifi then i don't think you will be able to find a printer that will work.

i assume they will not be printing regularly, in which case it may be easier just to go down to the local library and pay for any printing. they don't really charge that much for printing.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions